Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

Obviously the lighting is far less than ideal in these photos, but it's pretty worrisome to me how terribly the black-on-black looks on the alternates. The wordmark is almost illegible unless you squint.

I'm one who has "defended" their black on black choice because I get what they're going for but I'm with you here... these pics showed once again that the execution isn't exactly ideal and I do think they'll eventually add some white into the black jersey for contrast. It'll take a few years but it'll happen. 

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'm one who has "defended" their black on black choice because I get what they're going for but I'm with you here... these pics showed once again that the execution isn't exactly ideal and I do think they'll eventually add some white into the black jersey for contrast. It'll take a few years but it'll happen. 

I don't think adding white would be an improvement actually. My suggestion would be to add more color to the wordmark. They like to hype their "colores" so much in their marketing so why not actually use them?

1 minute ago, KGeeX5 said:

With ideal lighting the grays and the cap look really nice 

https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/1085667257802522624

I think the grays are actually the best jerseys in the whole set. But it's kind of silly to have to look at a jersey up close and in ideal lighting conditions to actually notice the color in the wordmark. That's probably a sign that your execution hasn't worked out too well. Whenever I see a slightly scaled down image of the home white or black alternate, it just looks like pure monochrome.

14 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I think the grays are actually the best jerseys in the whole set. But it's kind of silly to have to look at a jersey up close and in ideal lighting conditions to actually notice the color in the wordmark. That's probably a sign that your execution hasn't worked out too well. Whenever I see a slightly scaled down image of the home white or black alternate, it just looks like pure monochrome.

Most uniforms look colorless in the dark. 

Since games aren't played in complete darkness, I'm not really worried.

Nobody really thinks "Man that jersey sucks because we can't see all the colors when he's in the clubhouse tunnel"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Most uniforms look colorless in the dark. 

Since games aren't played in complete darkness, I'm not really worried.

I'm not talking about darkness. I'm talking about photo studio lighting conditions. And super close up distances like in the promo photos.

I think it's fair to say that the Marlins set requires more favorable lighting and vantage point considerations than other MLB jerseys do. And that's a problem.

6 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Good thing they play in daylight or directly under bright stadium lights rather than the shadows of the upper deck or in the dark. 

Sure, but part of the point of a team branding is for fans to buy and wear the merchandise themselves in all sorts of lighting conditions, not just at the ballpark.

And I do think proximity of view is going to be an issue for these jerseys. The color could very well be washed out in TV shots that are not close-ups. Or for fans at the park not sitting in the first row. I actually think this is going to pose a bigger problem than the lighting.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:33 AM, Marlins93 said:

Obviously the lighting is far less than ideal in these photos, but it's pretty worrisome to me how terribly the black-on-black looks on the alternates. The wordmark is almost illegible unless you squint.

I mean yeah the thumbnails don't look great but when you blow the pics up to actual size you can see the wordmark pretty clearly. I think the jerseys look sharp here.

ClAFLDa.png

15 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

I mean yeah the thumbnails don't look great but when you blow the pics up to actual size you can see the wordmark pretty clearly. I think the jerseys look sharp here.

When you say blow up to actual size do you mean zoom all the way in because that’s what I had to do. If that’s what you meant that’s a problem because if you are trying to watch from the stands you will have no idea who’s playing where or anything until they get show. On the jumbotron, and then at home you’ll have the same problem with anything that ain’t a closeup.

But if you’re going to say that, then you also have to admit that the diamond will be lit much more brightly than these dark photos, either by floodlights or, you know, the sun. 

It’s hardy a fair comparison, these photos where the figures are literally in shadows and the background hundreds of feet away is brightly lit. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

But if you’re going to say that, then you also have to admit that the diamond will be lit much more brightly than these dark photos, either by floodlights or, you know, the sun. 

It’s hardy a fair comparison, these photos where the figures are literally in shadows and the background hundreds of feet away is brightly lit. 

Sure, and I acknowledged that when I first posted. But do you think that most (or any) other MLB jerseys would fare so poorly in undesirable lighting conditions? I'm thinking that they are going to have some legibility problems under even floodlight conditions because there's so little contrast. Would you disagree?

Sure, and I acknowledged that when I first posted. But do you think that most (or any) other MLB jerseys would fare so poorly in undesirable lighting conditions?

Eh, maybe.  Anything that's not dark text on white or white text on dark will.  But some of my favorite jerseys and caps would fail this particular test.  Which again, is a silly and unfair test.

mike-trout-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of- mookie-betts-mlb-spring-training-st.-louhwl?set=sku%5B20905571%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

I'm thinking that they are going to have some legibility problems under even floodlight conditions because there's so little contrast. Would you disagree?

I'm thinking that these photos, with the subjects in shadow and the distant backgrounds brightly illuminated, do nothing to tell us that will be the case.  Unless we're looking for problems.  I'm willing to wait until we can see them in game conditions.

I rarely agree with @Marlins93 about the new jerseys and the lighting conditions but I think he's absolutely right here and these clips of the road jerseys being used in the Arizona Fall League seem to show what he's saying... 

THIS is actual game conditions and THIS is what they look like on TV and it's not that easy to see the blue and red outlines in action. There are video clips below as well. And these are black on gray, so just imagine the black on black wordmarks...

Image result for jordan yamamoto arizona fall league video

Here's video of them in motion and in sunlight...

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/video/harrisons-rbi-single/c-2519540183?tid=7617858

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/video/yamamoto-fans-6-in-championship/c-2519575883?tid=7617858

Archived