Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

49 minutes ago, McCall said:

Their team color is Navy. So that's what the merchandise is going to predominantly be. That's like saying the Cardinals don't have a red jersey, but you  can buy merchandise in red anyway. Or the Dodgers and blue. In baseball, not everybody has colored alternates, and home/aways are neutral white/gray, so you can't go by the color of the jerseys when determining the dominant color in which the merchandise is going to be produced. A better example would've been like the Giants who are predominantly black, but you can find orange merchandise. Or the A's with green/yellow. Mariners navy/teal. Tigers navy/orange.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying... some Marlins fans want more blue on the jerseys and while they don't have it at least they have more blue on their merchandise for those that want that option... I'm not sure if we're actually disagreeing here.

Edit: Re-read the post again, yeah maybe the other teams were better examples because they use secondary and even tertiary colors in some cases as opposed to the Yankees who use one main color so much that white basically becomes their secondary color.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Rounder face and features, looks more like a chubby cartoon baby version of Billy. I'm particularly annoyed by the bottom the head cutting off at an almost horizontal line as opposed to the rounder head that tapered towards the jersey as if he actually had a more realistic looking neck. Also super bothered by him having the wrong logo on the cap. Why have a different logo than the actual team cap and to boot it's an incorrectly colored logo. He also has shoes now instead of fins. Bad all around. I think he was changed for the sake of changing him. Billy was one of the things that was perfectly fine, all they had to do was recolor him. 

Just posting the images for the others. That mouth looks way too small

New: 

Screen_Shot_2019_02_09_at_2.25.37_PM.0.p

Dy--6YJXcAE5Ggo.jpg

Old:

941182730.jpg.jpg

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I do think more blue would be better but after months of looking at this entire rebrand I'm not convinced it'll happen because the look they have now is a better representation of what they were trying to do. So many times "we" just want what we think looks better (which is a natural reaction) but we also forget that the people who make those decisions also have a different image or theme or vision in mind that would go against what we think would look better. 

Long story short: we like more blue, the Marlins don't. And if you want more blue there's a ton of blue heavy merchandise for fans to buy. 

Even the Yankees have a similar thing where their uniforms are not heavy on navy blue but you can buy a ton of navy blue merchandise as a fan. 

I see where you're coming from, but that's a little besides the point. The team might have a certain vision in mind for their branding, sure, but I was simply asking people to weigh in on from a purely aesthetic perspective. There's no question that there are many people out there happy with the rebranding, but I was curious if even they would agree that there are some areas where the design could be improved.

Also, sure there's "alternate" merchandise to be purchased, but there's often more satisfaction in having something "official" or resembling what's worn on-field. And merchandise options should not even be the main factor here anyway, because what's available either in the online or team store is not the only way the branding reaches fans. When I attend a game or watch on TV, the players will be wearing the black on black gear, not the "blue heavy" stuff. In short, I don't think the availability of unofficial, blue heavy gear should legitimize what some might perceive as an overall flawed design concept that could readily be improved upon.

2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't think the availability of unofficial, blue heavy gear should legitimize what some might perceive as an overall flawed design concept that could readily be improved upon.

That wasn't my intention, definitely the on field stuff comes first and the merchandise isn't supposed to justify the on field stuff... truly was just saying "at least we have all that blue merchandise available for us."

So yes back to your original question, aesthetically I do think more blue would be better and I can't think of anyone (that I've actually spoken to) who wouldn't agree with that.

53 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That wasn't my intention, definitely the on field stuff comes first and the merchandise isn't supposed to justify the on field stuff... truly was just saying "at least we have all that blue merchandise available for us."

So yes back to your original question, aesthetically I do think more blue would be better and I can't think of anyone (that I've actually spoken to) who wouldn't agree with that.

If you ever see an unofficial shirt or jersey that has the Marlins wordmark in blue, please post it in this thread! I will be curious to see if the team store has anything like that in April when I go.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Gorgeous... and these are indoor pics because of bad weather, can't wait to see them in sunlight...

The catcher's 8 was sewn upside down lol

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Will the marlins black on black be the first high profile example of just being a totally unreadable jersey for people watching games on TV? I can see how refs or umps up close are fine. But the average fan is going to have a heck of a time

This was presented a couple years back

https://player.slideplayer.com/17/5272249/#

The blue jerseys have an awesome contrast. Dare i say those will be used more than the blacks. Who wants to wear black in the heat?

46 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Dare i say those will be used more than the blacks. Who wants to wear black in the heat?

They will not, as the blue is designated for BP and Spring Training. I don't know this for sure but I'd imagine black jerseys aren't as hot compared to others anymore will all the coolbase etc moisture wicking blah blah technology. Also, they play indoors when in Miami.

48 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Will the marlins black on black be the first high profile example of just being a totally unreadable jersey for people watching games on TV? I can see how refs or umps up close are fine. But the average fan is going to have a heck of a time

The blue jerseys have an awesome contrast. Dare i say those will be used more than the blacks. Who wants to wear black in the heat?

The Marlins wore black jerseys like 40,000 times the past six seasons.

Other teams wear black too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Gorgeous... and these are indoor pics because of bad weather, can't wait to see them in sunlight...

I like these more than the black alternate and home white because it has some semblance of color in it. However, I think it needs a lot of work still. Maybe it's just me, but I find something visually awkward or optically "noisy" with the placement of the cap logo on the solid blue material. I think it has something to do with the white outlining serving as a barrier between the fabric and the blue in the actual logo. I really want to like this one but my eye twinges whenever I see that.

Secondly, this really needs piping and/or a front number. It's just too plain. It looks like a plain blue top with a small logo slapped on. I have a suspicion that this will get retooled at some point down the road.

If I had my say, they would replace the logo with a Marlins wordmark instead. Someone here did a concept rendering of that and I much preferred it. Make it the new rebrand version of those Boyz II Men jerseys from the Loria uniforms.

3 hours ago, MattMill said:

To the contrary, I think that the black alternates will be worn a ton. That seems to be what most of the players wear in promotional or community event photos on the Marlins social media accounts. However, I'm convinced that the lack of legibility will motivate them to modify those jerseys within a year or two.

Archived