Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can click all the way to the last picture you'll see some Marlins prospects wearing the BP/ST cap with the home white jersey for a Special Olympics/Fantasy Camp event a few days ago... I know many want that BP cap as the primary so I thought seeing this combo in person was worth sharing here...

I can't believe it took me so many years to notice this but...

In 2011, preparing to drop the Florida Marlins name and transition to the Miami Marlins, the team removed "Florida" from the road jerseys and replaced it with "Marlins"...

Image result for 2011 marlins road

Then in 2012 and continuing into the 2018/2019 rebrand, in an effort to push the Miami name stronger than the team name they put "Miami" on both the home and road jerseys...

Related image

So the Marlins have had a season with the team name on both the home and road jersey as well as several seasons with the city name on both the home and road jersey. We know some teams have had either/or but I can't think of any team that has ever done this both ways.

Is this a first/only time ever in MLB that this has happened?

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If you can click all the way to the last picture you'll see some Marlins prospects wearing the BP/ST cap with the home white jersey for a Special Olympics/Fantasy Camp event a few days ago... I know many want that BP cap as the primary so I thought seeing this combo in person was worth sharing here...

It's definitely a slight upgrade over the primary cap logo because it's a much cleaner look. I'd prefer something with the M as the primary, though; I think it could be improved with some tweaks.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So the Marlins have had a season with the team name on both the home and road jersey as well as several seasons with the city name on both the home and road jersey. We know some teams have had either/or but I can't think of any team that has ever done this both ways.

The A's went from only wearing "A's" on all their jerseys to a few years of "Oakland" at home and on the road, and then settled into the Athletics/Oakland split they have to this day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

It's definitely a slight upgrade over the primary cap logo because it's a much cleaner look. I'd prefer something with the M as the primary, though; I think it could be improved with some tweaks.

I love the fish alone but I do think the primary cap needs the M so in my perfect world they eventually add a blue jersey (with a wordmark instead of just the cap logo alone) and then pair it with the fish cap as like a "Sunday alternate" cap and jersey combo similar to the Cardinals using their bird on bat cap as an occasional alternate. 

42 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I love the fish alone but I do think the primary cap needs the M so in my perfect world they eventually add a blue jersey (with a wordmark instead of just the cap logo alone) and then pair it with the fish cap as like a "Sunday alternate" cap and jersey combo similar to the Cardinals using their bird on bat cap as an occasional alternate. 

What they need to do is give the blue jersey a Marlins wordmark and make it a regular season alternate jersey. If they insist on using the cap logo on a jersey, they should do it on the solid black alternate where it would be less of an optical mess (it hurts my eyes on the blue). And get rid of the wordmark on the black alternate because you can't even see it. That alone would solve many of the flaws with both of those jerseys. It's a no-brainer.

Keep the fish cap for ST and BP (or maybe Sunday alternate). Give the M with fish primary logo some design tweaking. Have two regular season caps: one solid black, one with blue bill.

41 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I get the desire for a blue bill, but I’d rather see a blue crown like this. ff_3094384_full.jpg&w=340

I don't think the logo design would permit that. It doesn't look so great on the blue fabric. They'd probably have to strip the white outline; curious how that looks.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I can't believe it took me so many years to notice this but...

In 2011, preparing to drop the Florida Marlins name and transition to the Miami Marlins, the team removed "Florida" from the road jerseys and replaced it with "Marlins"...

Image result for 2011 marlins road

Then in 2012 and continuing into the 2018/2019 rebrand, in an effort to push the Miami name stronger than the team name they put "Miami" on both the home and road jerseys...

Related image

The Rangers their first 3 years and then again in 84 wore Rangers on all jerseys. Before switching to team name Home Texas on road. And then since 09 have worn Texas on both home and away.

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

The A's went from only wearing "A's" on all their jerseys to a few years of "Oakland" at home and on the road, and then settled into the Athletics/Oakland split they have to this day.

Actually, the A's first year in Oakland in 68 they wore Oakland on both jerseys. The following year they switched to A's on all tops. And again wore Oakland on both 85/86 before switching to current split. 

Archived