Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I want to try to withhold my judgment until there is an official unveiling and can see how the logo looks on caps and jerseys, but my first reaction to the leaked image is one of total disappointment. It looks very amateurish and something that you would see in a video game without MLB licensing in the 2000s. Quite frankly, I've seen much snazzier fan concept art circulating over the years.

I was really hoping that Jeter would opt to return to teal because it really seems like the fanbase is clamoring for that. There was a lot of positive buzz and energy surrounding the 25th anniversary weekend and I figured a turn to teal was an inevitable. Apparently not. I was not expecting Jeter to revert back to the Florida Marlins uniforms. A totally new logo and script would have been more than welcome, but I feel that the absence of teal is a major missed opportunity. It's a unique color that people seem to embrace and would look amazing if integrated into a contemporary design. The shade of blue that the Marlins seem to be adopting in this logo is just too boring and conventional. But again, maybe I will feel differently once we see what the jerseys look like.

The other issue I have is that it's just far too black. The Marlin looks like it's covered in oil or something. Someone on Instagram posted what appears to be the logo stitched into a black cap and that totally doesn't work for me, either. I could potentially be sold on the overall design if they add some color there, but at the moment, the concept gets a firm thumbs down for me.

Fair points but curious if you think it's better or worse than the current logo. 

I like the leaked logo and the use of some Miami Vice colors. They're borrowing from the Heat, but I know that it's the region & I think it works.

So much better than the rainbow M that just doesn't fit as an MLB logo.

So here's an initial attempt at a MIAMI script and on the uniforms......

Also, forgive the quality of the uniform pictures, I'm pissed since I had to take screenshots to show you all because photoshop is glitching and not letting me save in any capacity - photoshop file or otherwise (the save, save as, nor open dialog boxes will not open.......does anyone have a solution to this?  Otherwise I'm going to lose everything I did in photoshop tonight, thanks in advance)

Anyway, enjoy!  I'm also open to suggestions!

kDduQYC.png

KLgOzw8.png

3u9fQlH.png

xtKsw4h.png

xiUd6ge.png

14 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Fair points but curious if you think it's better or worse than the current logo. 

Again, I would need to really see the official logo, caps, and jerseys before commenting. But if I were to compare the leaked logo to the 2012 logo (no jerseys), I would say they are pretty much equal.

My issues with the 2012 logo are mainly the appearance of the Marlin and heavy use of orange. The slight rainbow scheme is a little uneasy on the eyes (I like it when logos have a clear dominant color), but at least that logo has color!

I think I would consider the leaked version to be an upgrade if they added more color to it, especially on the Marlin. Even if it's that boring blue color instead of teal. The crude oil look of the whole thing is what drags it down.

It also looks like a logo you would see in a Sega Dreamcast game, but I could overlook that if it at least popped color-wise!

38 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Again, I would need to really see the official logo, caps, and jerseys before commenting. But if I were to compare the leaked logo to the 2012 logo (no jerseys), I would say they are pretty much equal.

My issues with the 2012 logo are mainly the appearance of the Marlin and heavy use of orange. The slight rainbow scheme is a little uneasy on the eyes (I like it when logos have a clear dominant color), but at least that logo has color!

I think I would consider the leaked version to be an upgrade if they added more color to it, especially on the Marlin. Even if it's that boring blue color instead of teal. The crude oil look of the whole thing is what drags it down.

It also looks like a logo you would see in a Sega Dreamcast game, but I could overlook that if it at least popped color-wise!

Good points. I'm more used to the new logo being so dark but I'm thinking if the uniforms have more color/brightness in the right areas it could really pop and make the whole thing work even with the dark cap logo. Like if the home white jersey has the wordmark in blue with pink accents it could look great. 

Oh dear.  Those scripts are not good.  The mix of capital and lower case, the awkward transitions, even the one that's not a script at all has points on the right of letters that "cut in" to curves on the left of the next letter.  The presentation is solid, but I really hope they don't do something like that.  

They could maybe rig their original wordmark to work with the new M, or design the IAMI to go with it, but be less curvy / wavy than in that concept.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Good points. I'm more used to the new logo being so dark but I'm thinking if the uniforms have more color/brightness in the right areas it could really pop and make the whole thing work even with the dark cap logo. Like if the home white jersey has the wordmark in blue with pink accents it could look great. 

Well, there was apparently one image on Instagram of the leaked logo actually stitched onto a black cap and I thought it looked terrible (too black on black). I didn't see the Miami skyline as mentioned in this thread. I only see the "Exxon Valdez Marlins!"

Again, only commenting on what we've seen so far. But I can't image a logo so predominantly black looking good on any kind of black background. Let's all pray there are no black caps or solid black alternate jerseys.

I'm also not liking the pink/salmon accent. It almost seems like the Marlins are just riffing off of concepts put into practice by the Heat and the new MLS team already (and those teams have done done so much better, I might add!).

Again, maybe the leaked version isn't final and perhaps the jerseys and caps will end up looking great. But the only things that I see as an upgrade over the 2012 logo are dropping the orange and a slightly more realistic looking Marlin.

I could deal with the overall design of the leaked logo if they tealed it up. The sideways tilt is a little bizarre, but I could live with it.

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Oh dear.  Those scripts are not good.  The mix of capital and lower case, the awkward transitions, even the one that's not a script at all has points on the right of letters that "cut in" to curves on the left of the next letter.  The presentation is solid, but I really hope they don't do something like that.  

They could maybe rig their original wordmark to work with the new M, or design the IAMI to go with it, but be less curvy / wavy than in that concept.

Those scripts don't work for me either, but I'm glad he took the time to make them.

They look bad for the reasons you mention, but I also don't think the colors harmonize at all. The accent colors of the wordmark and the backgrounds just don't look right to me.

The more I look at the leaked logo, the more I dislike it! I really hope it's an early draft and they went back and touched up the colors.

gzASFMB.jpg

I hope they go with a script similar to these 50’s uniforms, as the “M” matches up quite well. It would fit them trying to mesh every era of Marlins baseball, probably in a “respect the past, embrace the future” sort of way. 

Can we stop it with the "go back to the 50s look"?  That's clearly not the direction they're going, and Miami isn't a 50's / old-school / traditional Major League market, and I don't think most people would associate it with classic olde-timey baseball scripts.  They're doing the right thing, experimenting with colors (though I'd prefer them to go all the way with pink rather than salmon/coral) and contemporary type.  Even the '93 Marlins got it right, using a then-modern twist on the traditional script, using all capital non-linking letters and modifying the tail to be more fishy.

I'm very encouraged so far... I hope they just don't make it too black, though since they already went there, it's not like they can go back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Can we stop it with the "go back to the 50s look"?  That's clearly not the direction they're going, and Miami isn't a 50's / old-school / traditional Major League market, and I don't think most people would associate it with classic olde-timey baseball scripts.  They're doing the right thing, experimenting with colors (though I'd prefer them to go all the way with pink rather than salmon/coral) and contemporary type.  Even the '93 Marlins got it right, using a then-modern twist on the traditional script, using all capital non-linking letters and modifying the tail to be more fishy.

I'm very encouraged so far... I hope they just don't make it too black, though since they already went there, it's not like they can go back.

I’m not saying I want them to go straight back to the 50’s wordmark just for the sake of being a throwback. I’m in agreement with you that I like the modern direction of the logo and that they seem to be experimenting with a new color scheme. I just think that the logo doesn’t work well with the entirely matching letter set, like you said yourself before. With the current logo leak, I think a modern-looking script would work best, but I could be proven wrong, we’ll see.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Can we stop it with the "go back to the 50s look"?  That's clearly not the direction they're going, and Miami isn't a 50's / old-school / traditional Major League market, and I don't think most people would associate it with classic olde-timey baseball scripts.

There's nothing inherently "1950s" about that Marlins script. In fact, I would call it a timeless-looking design. I'd also bet the average person isn't aware there was ever a Minor League baseball team in Miami called the Marlins 50+ years ago. 

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

There's nothing inherently "1950s" about that Marlins script. In fact, I would call it a timeless look. I'd also bet the average person isn't aware there was ever a Minor League baseball team in Miami called the Marlins 50+ years ago. 

I don't think the style of a 50+ year old Minor League team that the average person isn't even aware of should be incorporated into this modern big league team's brand. Without any historical significance, it's just a generic looking script. 

2 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I don't think the style of a 50+ year old Minor League team that the average person isn't even aware of should be incorporated into this modern big league team's brand. Without any historical significance, it's just a generic looking script. 

I’d say that it’s just one influence in a larger pool of influences. The script may or may not get a modernization/homage, but it’s influence is still present in the letter “M” from the insignia.

Archived