Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

9 hours ago, bowld said:

3 completely different brands inside of 1 decade has to be a record. 

2011 Florida marlins

2012-2018 Miami rebrand

2019- this look

Rays did it as well...

2000 Gradient D-Rays

2001-2007 Green and black d-Rays

2008-present double blue Rays

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mike1990 said:

I like that blue alt.

How many teams have their city on the home AND road?

Also, only one cap? Saw one on the shop that was all black with a white logo, is that a game hat or a fashion one? 

rangers. they have 'texas' on all jerseys.

also, agreed, they should have a blue cap.

Despite the process of how everything was unveiled, I have to give this a solid 8/10.

I knocked a point off for the floating stitches and another point for the lack of a second hat, but it works for a start that they can grow into.

I like it, on the whole. The blue jersey is lovely and makes a great case for a blue hat as an alternate. The sleeve patch logos are good -- and I think the black "ball" on the black jersey probably gets us back to the whole "simulating a baseball" discussion we had a little while back.

Scripts aren't great and I think there's a lot uniform-wise they could've/should've done differently, but it's a neat identity overall, IMO.

6fQjS3M.png

7 hours ago, mike1990 said:

I like that blue alt.

How many teams have their city on the home AND road?

Also, only one cap? Saw one on the shop that was all black with a white logo, is that a game hat or a fashion one? 

Texas Rangers and New York Yankees (sort of).

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

7 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Also, while it might not be worn much, I am very happy to see the old road set go away. The white text on gray was a terrible look.

Totally disagree. That was my favorite touch - they shoulda worn it more often

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It’s interesting to me that they went out of their way to design a new modified block font and aren’t using it for the names on the back. That looks like plain block. Compare that to this:

I think that’s actually a good move.  Simple block is best for name legibility, and it avoids the fussy overly-matchy feeling that custom name fonts bring.

Not every element needs to match exactly, they just need to not clash with each other.  And block compliments everything. 

Skepticism justified, these aren't terrible by any means but they're just boring. Kinda parallels the Jags new uniforms, individual elements of a great uniform that just fall short due to being "too simple" (not to mention to obnoxious usage of fire emojis being used to describe each by grown men) 

Here's my take:

Home:

1. Chest should say "Marlins" I don't care that the Rangers do it, their jerseys shouldn't say Texas either. 

2. Needs piping somewhere, anywhere, sleeves, placket, neck, just something

3. Needs a front number, the colors really do look great, they should be using them as much as they possibly can. 

Road:

For a road grey jersey, I have no issues with these. 

Blue alt:

Needs piping, the same way the bosox blue alt needs piping, without it, just looks like a BP jersey. 

Black alt:

I think they nailed this. It showcases the theme they were trying to capture when they came up with this rebrand and it's a nice change of pace from the mundane. Reminds me of the Giants all black alt that Bonds used to wear. Now just reserve it for certain days/nights and don't wear it every game. 

10 hours ago, bowld said:

2011 Florida marlins

2012-2018 Miami rebrand

2019- this look

The Brewers come close: 

1993 classic royal and gold ball-in-glove

1994 navy and metallic gold MB

1997 modified design with brand new cap logo

2000 terrible ad-agency design.

That last one might have spanned a new decade, but that’s still four (or at least three) uniforms within eight seasons.   One fewer year  than Miami’s designs. 

4 hours ago, Quillz said:

How is it BFBS when black is their primary color?

Well truthfully you have to ask the question is black the primary color or just ended up being the most prominent? They promoted these as Our Colores, meaning black? Or is it referring to the unique blue and red that they chose? So then why feature the black more than the other colores? Then it seems your using black as your backdrop...  I don't think in any of the three Marlins designs black was meant to be a primary, I could be mistaken, but it ended up that way, because they only wore the black hat and the black jersey the majority of the time... Teams get confused on what they want the identity they created to be. The White Sox, the Brooklyn Nets , the Pittsburgh Steelers those are black primary teams , with only one secondary color...   

I'm not a fan of the uniforms.  The blue (BP?) one is the only one that had/has potential.  These are just so underwhelming.  The black jersey specifically is so dull.  Something about that cursive puts me to sleep.  

They did their whole #ourcolores campaign, these uniforms don't ooze colorful to me. 

90758391980.gif

1 minute ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I'm not a fan of the uniforms.  The blue (BP?) one is the only one that had/has potential.  These are just so underwhelming.  The black jersey specifically is so dull.  Something about that cursive puts me to sleep.  

They did their whole #ourcolores campaign, these uniforms don't ooze colorful to me. 

i'm in wholehearted agreement of every word of this. the colors are great, so why hide them with so much black? i love the blue jersey, and i think they would have benefits from a blue-brimmed cap, particularly to splash some more color on the all black look. 

i have to look at this team for 18 games, and i'm mostly going to be aesthetically bored doing so.

11 hours ago, bowld said:

2011 Florida marlins

2012-2018 Miami rebrand

2019- this look

Didn't the Brewers do that in the 90s? 

Regardless, I think that was a matter of circumstance and timing and not something that should really be held against them.

They moved into a new ballpark and a new city and had a name change and then a new ownership came in with a desire/need to reset from their past errors.

Both rebrands were/are fitting and it just so happened to fall within the same decade.

Archived