Syracuse Chiefs rebrand as Syracuse Mets

SportsLogos.Net News

4 minutes ago, vtgco said:

The Mets name doesn't work so well outside of NYC.

It does when you want to associate the minor-league team with the big league club.   The word doesn't mean "Metropolitan" in this context, it means "New York Baseball Club".

We can argue the relative merits of that where this particular big league club is concerned, but the overall philosophy is not a bad one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, vtgco said:

(sigh)

A real shame that such a well-executed identity and historical name have been replace by a copy-and-paste. The Mets name doesn't work so well outside of NYC.

Because there isn't such thing as a metropolitan area outside of New York City?

This is a horrible logo. I like they changed to the Mets but slapping the wordmark across the state of New York and calling it a day is just lazy. I wouldve loved to see a logo involving Mr. Met or even the S or Mets wordmark in a roundel would have been better than this garbage.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is it me, or is that "SYRACUSE" mark a little low on his jersey?

It's too low and it's kerned too tight. It's bad.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Because there isn't such thing as a metropolitan area outside of New York City?

Yes, there are "metropolitan areas," but the capital-M Metropolis, as in a country's largest and most important settlement, refers to New York. The notion of Syracuse Metropolitans is therefore a little silly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, there are "metropolitan areas," but the capital-M Metropolis, as in a country's largest and most important settlement, refers to New York. The notion of Syracuse Metropolitans is therefore a little silly.

Totally agree. There are lots of big cities, but NYC is THE big city in the US.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

We can argue the relative merits of that where this particular big league club is concerned, but the overall philosophy is not a bad one.

Maybe... I guess the team might get the a tad of the brand value of its parent club, but I imagine sticking to one name would probably give the team more staying power in its own area.

But really, regardless of any cost-benefit analysis, I just want to see more unique, local, and cool identities, not less.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Uh oh, here comes the mobs of angry Syracuse.com commenters from the northern suburbs coming after you ?

But yeah that logo is.. not great. I get doing the parent club connection, but putting two scripts on top of a map of New York is certainly a decision one can make. Going to go out on a limb that because Cuomo was behind the move that the state had something to do with it. Wordmarks at least look good on the jersey.

They could've kept the theme they had rolling with the Syracuse Chiefs. Changing it from Native American imagery to a train imagery worked because the Syracuse train station's right next to the stadium and all the Amtrak and freight trains roll by the outfield. But hey, I see the Mets wanting to stamp their brand in CNY so I get it. Just again, that logo, man.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Besides the awful logo (easily a contender for the worst in AAA and possibly all of the minors), this reaction from a local columnist and sports-talk host perfectly captures the massive downside of this team ditching its local identity and taking on the parent club's identity:

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd take Indianapolis Arrows over Indians, pace the history, if only because they're not and will never seem to be an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Font needs work but the name is fine.

Syracuse Chiefs should have stayed. Mets only works for New York City.

I was thinking that, too. "Mets" is something that works for NYC, because, you know, it's a huge city. Syracuse isn't. I always sort of thought of the Mets as a specifically NYC team, and the Yankees more of a New York (state) team based on their names.

9 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

This version of it from the Mets Instagram looks sooo much better

Agreed, except it still has the weird white square over the little section of Connecticut that juts in toward Rye and Port Chester.

4446029-vector-color-map-of-new-york-sta

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oof!

Abandon a team name that has graced Syracuse minor league baseball for 77 years (87, if you count the decade under the SkyChiefs sobriquet)? Check! Unveil an uninspired - and visually clunky - primary logo that seemingly attempts to position the franchise as enjoying some sort of (non-existent) statewide appeal or relevance? Check! In other words, the Wilpons have hit the ground running when it comes to replicating their spotty track-record as owners of the big-league Mets with their newly-acquired Triple A franchise. 

Frankly, they'd have been better served doing something as simple as retaining the current Chiefs logos/uniforms while adopting the Mets color palette.

Barring that, simply render the Chiefs name in a Mets-style script on the front of the home jersey and go with the road uniforms that they've just unveiled. As for a logo, copy the layout of the Mets primary mark, but place the name Chiefs over a silhouette of the downtown Syracuse skyline.         

14 hours ago, vtgco said:

Totally agree. There are lots of big cities, but NYC is THE big city in the US.

Maybe... I guess the team might get the a tad of the brand value of its parent club, but I imagine sticking to one name would probably give the team more staying power in its own area.

But really, regardless of any cost-benefit analysis, I just want to see more unique, local, and cool identities, not less.

OK. Let's Compromise.

From this day forward, they shall be called the Syracuse Suburbans, but like the Metropolitans we shall shorten it to the Syracuse Subs

Don't the people of NYC think pretty much the rest of New York State is just a Suburb of NYC anyway?

3 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

From this day forward, they shall be called the Syracuse Suburbans, but like the Metropolitans we shall shorten it to the Syracuse Subs

Oooh, daddy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived