Worst owners in Sports

Gary

3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

And the "good guy" in this situation (Jimmy Haslam) should be in prison, so.

Jimmy "taking advice from a homeless guy" when picking Manzeil should have got him imprisoned as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m not sure that CBS really deserves to be on that list, especially when compared to some of the other names we put on the list.

My take on CBS is that it was primarily guilty of benign neglect in its ownership of the Yankees.

WIki's take --

After the 1964 season, CBS purchased 80% of the Yankees from Topping and Webb for $11.2 million.[24] With the new ownership, the team began to decline. In fact, the Yankees finished in the second division in 1965—their first losing record in 40 years, and only their second in 47 years.

In 1966, the Yankees finished last in the AL for the first time since 1912. It also marked their first consecutive losing seasons since 1917 and 1918. They finished next-to-last in 1967. While their fortunes improved somewhat in the late 1960s and early 1970s, they only finished higher than fourth once during CBS' ownership, in 1970. Topping and Webb had owned the Yankees for 20 years, missing the World Series only five times and going 10–5 in the ones they did get to. By contrast, the CBS-owned teams never went to the World Series.

Various reasons have been given for the decline, but the single biggest one was the Yankees' inability to replace their aging superstars with new ones, as they had consistently done in the previous five decades. As early as the 1961-62 offseason, longtime fans noticed that the pipeline of talent had started to dry up. This was worsened by the introduction of the major league amateur draft that year, which meant that the Yankees could no longer sign any player they wanted. While the Yankees usually drafted fairly early during this period due to their lackluster records, Thurman Munson was the only pick who lived up to his billing.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If we're going historically I'd throw in any owner of the New York Islanders that doesn't include Roy Boe or the current one with particular emphasis on Charles Wang, John Spano, Gluckstern and the Milstein brothers.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

My take on CBS is that it was primarily guilty of benign neglect in its ownership of the Yankees.

Ah, top-of-the-line franchise doesn’t adapt to changes in the game (happening before CBS), but CBS didn’t do anything to improve their status with drafting in the pre-free agency period. That’s bad, but it’s peanuts compared to teams that were barely able to make payroll or constantly plotting to move. It’s still worth a spot on the list.

I’d say that CBS’ worst crime as the Yankees’ owners was destroying the original stadium in favor of a cookie-cutter. Had it undergone Fenway or Wrigley-like modernizations, it might have stuck around.

Ron Fowler-San Diego Padres

He was part of the previous ownership group led by Jeff Moorad that was also terrible. Under these owners, they have been Pittsburgh Pirates West.

There is a Facebook group called Change the Padres that posted a video on Dailymotion talking about the recent owners:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxbap0

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

Dan Snyder

In addition to all the horrible things he's already done, he took a once proud franchise and effectively made it a laughing stock. Say what you want about some other owners (had he still owned the team, I'd have said Donald Sterling), but some teams have just been bad from the get go and so a bad owner doesn't really do much. It's when a historically good franchise is brought down by a terrible owner that it sticks out.

I’ll throw Tom Hicks and George Gillet in the mix for what they did to Liverpool. 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

James Dolan wants in on the conversation, as does Peter Angelos and Jim Irsay.

If we’re talking historical, there’s a whole list of them:

MLB

- post-1931 Connie Mack

- Clark and Calvin Griffith (personal pick for worst in Big Four history)

- Arnold Johnson (collusion - how fun!)

- Bob Short

- FOX

- The Chicago Tribune

- Marge Schott

- Jeff Moorad

- Ron Fowler

NHL

- Harold Ballard

- Bill Wirtz

- Ralston-Purina

- the league

- Norm Green

- Peter Karmanos

- the Gund family, pre-Sharks

- Atlanta Spirit

NBA

- Donald Sterling

- Howard Schultz

- Clay Bennett

- Whoever owned the Bulls before Reinsdorf

NFL

- William Clay Ford

- the Mccaskey family

- at least one generation of Bidwells

- Georgia Frontierre

- post-relocation Al Davis

- Dean Spanos

- Bud Adams

- Daniel Snyder

My additions in BOLD.

30 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

- Whoever owned the Bulls before Reinsdorf

It was the Wirtzes and a bunch of other dudes, one of whom was Steinbrenner, I believe. But Reinsdorf belongs on a list like this more than they do. I don't think the Wirtzes cared that much about the Bulls and as such more or less spared them that special Wirtz touch; like many NBA teams of the 1970s, they were there to soak up dates at the Stadium and not much else. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, leopard88 said:

WIki's take --

This is the first I've learned of First Division, Second Division. The players got more money for finishing higher in the standings so even back then before there were playoffs there was still some incentive to play out the whole season. Interesting. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

57 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This is the first I've learned of First Division, Second Division. The players got more money for finishing higher in the standings so even back then before there were playoffs there was still some incentive to play out the whole season. Interesting. 

Very interesting.  I had no idea about the pool money.  I thought it was just baseball slang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_division_(baseball)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The all time worst owner in sports was Art Modell. Tell me, how does one go bankrupt owning an NFL franchise? That's a license to print money. This financial genius managed to do it twice. Bravo!!!

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

On 10/17/2018 at 1:35 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I’d say that CBS’ worst crime as the Yankees’ owners was destroying the original stadium in favor of a cookie-cutter. Had it undergone Fenway or Wrigley-like modernizations, it might have stuck around.

Hold on, there. The refurbished Yankee Stadium was by no means a "cookie-cutter".  No other park looked like it; and it still had the characteristic Yankee Stadium shape, even if the extreme left-centre distance was modified, and the monuments were removed from the playing field. 

The refurbished Stadium lacked the exorbident luxury amenities that are built into newer parks. And it had a couple of well-publicised instances of falling concrete chunks, which led to the Yankees playing home games at Shea Stadium. This is what doomed it, not any flaws inherent to the refurbishment.

CBS was clueless when it came to player personnel.  But they had a very good man, Mike Burke, heading up relations with the City as well as the Stadium's refurbishment. And he got excellent results.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

DAT RICKETS HASNT GOTTEN A TITLE IN 2 YEARS NOW FIRE HIM AND HIRE ERNIE BANKS

WAIT HE'S DEAD?

DAN HAMPTONS ALIVE, SO MAYBE WE

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 10/16/2018 at 5:14 PM, LMU said:

Dan Snyder says hello.

He singlehandedly got me to stop caring about the NFL.  I worked for the Washington Redskins part time in grad school. I worked with the retail team to restock the merchandise stands and work game day retail. (My cousin managed the store in Fed Ex field for 2 years). The eggshells people walked on even as the guy who checks badges was crazy. I remember the manager hired some guy and he showed up Day 1 (not a game day) with a Raiders jersey on, he let the guy work, but was told by higher ups walking around the stadium that he had to be fired by lunch. 

Archived