Worst owners in Sports

Gary

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, LMU said:

Dan Snyder says hello.

Was gonna say, how’d it take that long to get to him? This discussion begins and ends with Dan Snyder. 

spacer.png

Dan Snyder

In addition to all the horrible things he's already done, he took a once proud franchise and effectively made it a laughing stock. Say what you want about some other owners (had he still owned the team, I'd have said Donald Sterling), but some teams have just been bad from the get go and so a bad owner doesn't really do much. It's when a historically good franchise is brought down by a terrible owner that it sticks out.

James Dolan wants in on the conversation, as does Peter Angelos and Jim Irsay.

If we’re talking historical, there’s a whole list of them:

MLB

- post-1931 Connie Mack

- Clark and Calvin Griffith (personal pick for worst in Big Four history)

- Arnold Johnson (collusion - how fun!)

- Bob Short

- FOX

- The Chicago Tribune

- Marge Schott

NHL

- Harold Ballard

- Bill Wirtz

- Ralston-Purina

- the league

- Norm Green

- Peter Karmanos

- the Gund family, pre-Sharks

NBA

- Donald Sterling

- Howard Schultz

NFL

- William Clay Ford

- the Mccaskey family

- at least one generation of Bidwells

- Georgia Frontierre

- post-relocation Al Davis

Robert and Jonathan Kraft as investor/operators of Major League Soccer's New England Revolution.

The Revolution are an afterthought to the Krafts. They've historically put the bare minimum of effort into their stewardship of the team. That the team has managed to make it to five MLS Cup Finals speaks more to the vagaries of the league's playoff structure than it does to any sort of concerted effort on the part of the Krafts to build a benchmark, best-practices organization in MLS. Which is why, 22 seasons into Major League Soccer's history, the Krafts are operating an MLS 1.0 operation in a world increasingly defined by the efforts and achievements of MLS 4.0 outfits such as Atlanta United FC, Los Angeles FC, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders FC, and Sporting Kansas City.  

The Krafts' soccer team is nothing more than a means to fill dates on the Gillette Stadium calendar that aren't occupied by New England Patriots games or concerts, maintain a share of Soccer United Marketing revenues, stay on the radar of FIFA and USSF officials for the purposes of landing high-profile international matches such as World Cup games, and drive foot-traffic to retailers and restaurants at Patriot Place. Period.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

James Dolan wants in on the conversation, as does Peter Angelos and Jim Irsay.

If we’re talking historical, there’s a whole list of them:

MLB

- post-1931 Connie Mack

- Clark and Calvin Griffith (personal pick for worst in Big Four history)

- Arnold Johnson (collusion - how fun!) What do you mean we're not still a Yankees farm team?

- Bob Short

- FOX

- The Chicago Tribune

- Marge Schott

- CBS

- Jeffrey Loria

NHL

- Harold Ballard

- Bill Wirtz

- Ralston-Purina

- the league

- Norm Green

- Peter Karmanos

- the Gund family, pre-Sharks

NBA

- Donald Sterling

- Howard Schultz

NFL

- William Clay Ford

- the Mccaskey family

- at least one generation of Bidwells

- Georgia Frontierre

- post-relocation Al Davis Which relocation?  I assume you mean Oakland 2.0, but just checking.

- Mike Brown

- Malcolm Glazer

- Leonard Tose

- Robert Irsay (because Jim is a breath of fresh air compared to his old man)

If we're going to open it up to all of Big Four history, I'll add my comments and additions (in bold above).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

If we're going to open it up to all of Big Four history, I'll add my comments and additions (in bold above).

Clarifications:

With Johnson, it was a direct trading pipeline without free agency departures. He also completely neglected the farm system, opting to sign ametuers that he’d trade to the Yankees (probably as a means of “thanking” them for their assistance in him getting a team and honoring his real estate interests). Here’s a link to describe the process Johnson used. He was also planning to move the team to LA, but died before any of the groundwork was laid. 

I’m not sure that CBS really deserves to be on that list, especially when compared to some of the other names we put on the list.

I’m talking about post-1995 Al Davis.

Archived