Are the Cleveland Indians a red team or a blue team?

The "eye test" in the Cleveland metro area says they are a "RED" team.  More fans in this color..

So what are the chances of the Indians returning to the "caveman" font  and red jerseys of the mid 70's?  If you ever go to a game at Progressive Field you will see an awful lot of those red jerseys in the stands.

I believe you could give the font a modern "facelift" and it would be a hit in Cleveland. Maybe incorporate an arrowhead or a feather into the design.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerraven said:

The "eye test" in the Cleveland metro area says they are a "RED" team.  More fans in this color..

So what are the chances of the Indians returning to the "caveman" font  and red jerseys of the mid 70's?  If you ever go to a game at Progressive Field you will see an awful lot of those red jerseys in the stands.

I believe you could give the font a modern "facelift" and it would be a hit in Cleveland. Maybe incorporate an arrowhead or a feather into the design.

I've been to Jacobs Field numerous times and most people have a blue jersey on, not the red. They had their 2017 player jersey red, but I think most people would prefer the blue over the red.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I hate this idea that a team has to be a "red team", "blue team", or whatever color team. The team's colors are red and blue. That's it. There's no standards on what ratio of each color they should use. I like the Indians' even use of both colors. Makes them stand out among others like the red-heavy Nats, or navy-heavy Braves.

17 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I hate this idea that a team has to be a "red team", "blue team", or whatever color team. The team's colors are red and blue. That's it. There's no standards on what ratio of each color they should use. I like the Indians' even use of both colors. Makes them stand out among others like the red-heavy Nats, or navy-heavy Braves.

Navy jerseys over red undershirts should be a trademark look for them. Also, I've said this before, but I think the Tribe could set themselves off from the Braves and Twins a bit by using midnight navy and a deeper shade of red. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

FWIW, I've been an Indians fan since I was a kid. (To give you an idea of how long I've been a fan, I went to my first Tribe game in 1970.) In all that time, I've always thought of the Indians as a "blue team" with red as their secondary color. 

BB52Big.jpg

Pretty much up until the abundance of sports magazines and the movie "Major League", I always thought the Indians were purple and red, not navy and red.

I believe I have the Topps company to thank for this insight...

len-barker-autographed-baseball-card-cle  s-l300.jpg  s-l1600.jpg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I ask myself the same question about the Browns. Are they primarily brown or orange? Brown is used as the base color for their jerseys (mainly the home ones now), and for merchandise. Orange is used a lot for them on TV networks via scorebugs or stat boxes. They might as well be 50/50, but I always associate them with brown-first.

The Indians to me, are primarily navy. Red is used a lot on the home uniforms, but navy is the dominant color with their away uniforms, merchandise, and TV networks.

Archived