If You Ruled The World of Sports

Mac the Knife

I personally agree with a lot of things that have already been said. Regardless:

NFL

- Chargers back to SD

- Eliminate the current "body-weight" rule. 

- The touchback rule is amended. If a team fumbles and the ball goes out of the end zone, the last team to touch will get the ball on the nearest 20 yard line. However, the offense will instead have a 1st and Goal, putting them at a disadvantage but not an insurmountable one. 

- Thursday night football is only on the opening week and the 3 games on Thanksgiving. Weeks 15 and 16 will continue to have two Saturday games (a 4:25 and 8:20). 

- Opening weekend Monday Night double-header is abolished and instead is a standard 8:20. Teams only play one Monday Night a year, and the two teams that don't have either a Sunday Night, Thanksgiving Night, or Saturday Night game. 

NHL

- Arizona moves to Quebec City, Carolina back to Hartford, Florida to Kansas City. Expansion team in Seattle. Move KC to the west. 

- Get rid of OTLs and shootouts. Instead, play 3-on-3 with a clock running up until a team scores. 

MLB

- Eliminate interleague play. 

- Move Tampa Bay to Montreal. 

- AL expands to Charlotte, NL to Portland. 

- 4 divisions of 8 with an 132 game schedule (12 games per team in division, 6 games out). 

- 2 teams from each division make it. First series is a best-of-3 in the division, with all 3 games taking place at the home team's stadium. The rest are best-of-7s. 

NBA

- Get rid of divisions. Add a team in Seattle and Las Vegas, moving Minnesota east.

- Each team plays 78 games (15 conference teams 3 times, with the extra home game rotating each year, and 2 against 16 other conference). Each team plays an extra game against a conference team that rotates each year. 

- Top 8 teams still make the playoffs. First round is a best-of-5. 

MLS

- I don't know the exact details, but find a way to create pro/rel with the USL. Teams such as "Atlanta United II" and "Toronto FC II" terminate all rights with their parent clubs. They are either renamed and kept in their city or renamed and relocated. 

- MLS will be 24 teams, no playoffs, 3 teams relegated. USL will also have 24 teams. Tiers will be added as more teams join the pyramid. 

- The draft is eliminated. 

NCAA 

- Football expands the playoffs to 8 teams: Power 5 conference winners, 2 wild cards (which can be any FBS team), and a guaranteed independent/Group of 5. Teams are still seeded based on rank, meaning the Group of 5 will probably have to play the #1 overall team. 

Might have missed a few a few other people have said, but these are the main ones. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I've done this before, but here goes:

- 16 playoff teams for each American sport, except for MLS. Sports are about cash and entertainment and it's better to have more teams involved than fewer.

- If one NFL team is sacrificing a home game to build an international market, they all should. It's absurd that some teams have 7 home games and others 8. I don't know why this is allowed.

- PEDs are fine. Marijuana is more fine. Legalize it.

- Promotion/Relegation is an awesome idea that should be implemented in arena-based sports in the US.  That means a 40-team NHL and NBA, with 20-team upper and lower divisions in each.

- NCAA football and basketball should be abolished, or spun off as separate for-profit programs (lol like they're not) where players are paid big money.

- I don't love drafts, but for entertainment products, you have to find a way to make low-performing teams more competitive. My dream is that instead of pay to play and NCAA development you instead have academies funded by pro teams, but that's asking a lot.

- The NFL is terrible but it's enjoying a bounce back year in popularity because of the continued nerfing of defenses. If that's better for player safety that's fine.

- The US military should be completely disconnected from pro sports

- It's hilarious that I can bet on WWE but in glad I can. There's no new rule here; just an observation.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:
On 10/22/2018 at 12:55 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:
  • Rule change: no such thing as "offensive pass interference".

If u get rid of offensive pass interference, you'd have to get rid of defensive PI as well. 

Well, the point that I am trying to make here is there shouldn't be an equality of status; the offensive player should be favoured.  The receiver should be allowed to push the defender away while trying to make the catch; by contrast, any contact intitiated by the defensive player should be penalised.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, the point that I am trying to make here is there shouldn't be an equality of status; the offensive player should be favoured.  The receiver should be allowed to push the defender away while trying to make the catch; by contrast, any contact intitiated by the defensive player should be penalised.

...why though? Do you want a more offensive game? If that's what your going for then your point makes sense. Personally I'd rather have the defender and the receiver with an equal footing (or as equal as they're going to have, as the receiver usually has penalty-bias going their way) and let the best player win the battle for the ball. But if you prefer shootouts, then getting rid of OPI is a way to do it. You'd definitely have teams eclipse 60 points more often.  

On 10/22/2018 at 2:11 PM, OnWis97 said:

Intentionally fouling (along with timeout calling) down the stretch is one of the most agonizing things about basketball.  I've always wanted a way for the end of basketball games to go more quickly.  I watch more college and  I am of the opinion that they are given way, way too many timeouts.  Fouls are trickier.  When a player fouls to stop the clock and force free throws, you know why, I know why, the officials know why, and the players know why.  But it's hard to call it an intentional foul of a play for the ball is made.  In fact, a steal is the optimal outcome at that point, so it makes sense that players would be more aggressive in late-game situations when trailing.  I've never really been sure what to do about it.  Enable teams to decline the free throws and take the ball?  Three shots after one foul inside of two minutes?  I'm not really sure and it's not enjoyable to watch right now, but the intentional calls would be difficult to make.

Would it really be so difficult? This would be just one more of the many judgement calls that the officials would have to make.

Sure, a steal is the optimum result of one of these late-game lunges. But, if the price of failing to make the steal were ejection, then few players would try it, and teams would just have to play normal defence.

The ending of basketball games is broken. I have often mentioned that basketball is the only sport in which a close game provides the worst finish. The sad truth is that the best sort of basketball game is a game which is close until the middle of the fourth quarter, and then one team pulls away.

Short of the Big 3 league's concept of awarding the victory to the first team to a pre-determined point total, there's no way of escaping the end-of-game hell of fouls and free throws, other than drastically increasing the penalty for these clock-stopping fouls to the point where almost no one ever attempts them.

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I feel like I've done this before, but here goes:

- 16 playoff teams for each American sport, except for MLS. Sports are about cash and entertainment and it's better to have more teams involved than fewer.

Totally agree.  All this "only division winners make it" takes all the fun out of it.  3/4 of the teams would be out of it too early.

- If one NFL team is sacrificing a home game to build an international market, they all should. It's absurd that some teams have 7 home games and others 8. I don't know why this is allowed.

If sports are about cash (as you stated), then this isn't a good idea.  Correct me if I'm mistaken, but would they have teams give up home games if they were teams that always sold out and generated tons of revenue?  The Jags giving up a home game isn't nearly as costly as say Dallas or Pittsburgh.  

- PEDs are fine. Marijuana is more fine. Legalize it.

How can you be for player safety, but encourage the use of PEDs?  It's like you're saying you care about guys getting concussions, but not about them getting heart attacks or cancer or whatever else the long-term effects of PED use are.

- Promotion/Relegation is an awesome idea that should be implemented in arena-based sports in the US.  That means a 40-team NHL and NBA, with 20-team upper and lower divisions in each.

This contradicts with your first point, about cash and entertainment.  How entertaining is it, and how much cash would people pay, to watch the Flyers if they were an AHL team for one season?  You're punishing fans for the ineptitude of a team that is implicitly punishing them anyway.

- NCAA football and basketball should be abolished, or spun off as separate for-profit programs (lol like they're not) where players are paid big money.

Yep.  Treat them like professional leagues, instead of institutions where the schools and coaches are allowed to make millions off the backs of players that get suspended if they're caught taking a dime.  

- I don't love drafts, but for entertainment products, you have to find a way to make low-performing teams more competitive. My dream is that instead of pay to play and NCAA development you instead have academies funded by pro teams, but that's asking a lot.

Not sure how this would work to make low-performing teams competitive, but I don't know much about it.

- The NFL is terrible but it's enjoying a bounce back year in popularity because of the continued nerfing of defenses. If that's better for player safety that's fine.

I'm for player safety, but the league has become one where the players and teams don't necessarily decide the outcome of games, and too much subjectivity is involved, which can lead to doubts about how level the playing field is.  When fans cheer more for flags against the opposing team than they do about first down runs by their team, that's a problem.  

- The US military should be completely disconnected from pro sports

Totally.  And stop it with the national anthems too.  It's not WW2, and there's no connection between the government, country, or military to a for-profit entertainment event.

- It's hilarious that I can bet on WWE but in glad I can. There's no new rule here; just an observation.

WHAT THE HELL?  This is true?  Any one that places a bet on a worked event should be instantly committed to a gambling rehab clinic, and lose custody of their children.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

- My Expos back in Montreal

- Nordiques back in Quebec City

- Sonics back in Seattle

- Expand the CFL to 12 teams

- Trade Carey Price

- The Subban/Weber trade never happened

- With the 1st overall pick of the 2019 NHL draft, the Montreal Canadiens select Jack Hughes

- Make my Habs competitive like they used to be

5 yard illegal contact penalties on downs longer than 5 yards should not be automatic 1st downs.

That 49er/Packer MNF game when an illegal contact came up on a 3rd and 15?

A 5 yard penalty should make it 3rd and 10, which would have offset a Packer 5 yard penalty before that. Make GB have to earn the first down instead of getting it on a technicality.

5 yard penalties of this variety on a 3rd Down of 6 yards or more should mean a retry of the 3rd down.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If sports are about cash (as you stated), then this isn't a good idea.  Correct me if I'm mistaken, but would they have teams give up home games if they were teams that always sold out and generated tons of revenue?  The Jags giving up a home game isn't nearly as costly as say Dallas or Pittsburgh.   

How can you be for player safety, but encourage the use of PEDs?  It's like you're saying you care about guys getting concussions, but not about them getting heart attacks or cancer or whatever else the long-term effects of PED use are. 

This contradicts with your first point, about cash and entertainment.  How entertaining is it, and how much cash would people pay, to watch the Flyers if they were an AHL team for one season?  You're punishing fans for the ineptitude of a team that is implicitly punishing them anyway. 

WHAT THE HELL?  This is true?  Any one that places a bet on a worked event should be instantly committed to a gambling rehab clinic, and lose custody of their children.

1. Right, but there has to be some not to competitive balance, right? It's not fair that teams are playing by different rules.

2. I know enough to know that the lines are blurry on what are legal PEDs and what aren't. I'm for player agency, and if they want to risk long-term effects for performance (which, really, being 6'6" and 300 lbs you already are risking long-term health by nature of being), then who am I to stop you?

3. If you had a pro/rel system in NBA and NHL and if the regular season were a round robin, then every game matters. I realize this doesn't square with having 16 playoff teams, but perhaps you'd instead have 12 teams out of 20 -- six from each division much like MLS. Three teams up and three teams down mean every game matters all the way to the end. It's total fantasy, I know, but it could be a lot of fun.

4. I bet $25 to win $5 that WWE will still host Crown Jewels in Saudi Arabia. I'm a degenerate, but free money is free money.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Concerning the intentional foul thing with basketball, I liked the Elam Ending that the TBT instituted this year:

• At the first dead ball after the four-minute-to-go point, seven points is added to the leading team's score to create a target score.
  • The first team to the target score wins.

It serves to eliminate intentional fouls because allowing a team to score more points gets them closer to the target score.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's not an entirely new idea... there have been prop bets on the Super Bowl for things that are in someone's direct control, like the color of Gatorade or how long the national anthem will take. People will gamble on anything.

NFL overtime would be a fist fight between the QBs that are in the game at the end of regulation.

It adds so much strategy - if the game is tied and your team is driving for a winning score, but time is ticking, do you pull your ace QB who is a wimp, and replace him with the backup, who is a grown-ass man, just because if it goes to OT, he'll likely knock the other QB out?

All those interviews where they're like "Peyton, how do you feel about going up against Tom?" and he's like "well, I'm not actually playing against him, but rather their defense" would suddenly be relevant, because Peyton Manning may have had to actually fist fight Tom Brady on the 50-yard line.

Your gorilla would not be eligible for the OT fist fight, even if it hasn't been deployed for its one play.  OT is human-on-human violence.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Your gorilla would not be eligible for the OT fist fight, even if it hasn't been deployed for its one play.  OT is human-on-human violence.

Could both coaches agree to send out their gorillas against each other, assuming they're both still eligible?

15 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Could both coaches agree to send out their gorillas against each other, assuming they're both still eligible?

Animal rights groups and might have an issue with that.  

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Animal rights groups and might have an issue with that.  

That gorilla signed a contract! He knew what he was getting into!

Animal rights groups are always telling us how human-like apes are; this is the obvious conclusion.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

That gorilla signed a contract! He knew what he was getting into!

Animal rights groups are always telling us how human-like apes are; this is the obvious conclusion.

I’m afraid that a few seasons into this system, they’ll be pressuring teams to stop with the gorillas and hire an orangutan as head coach. Imagine Dr. Zeus, wearing Bose headset, throwing the challenge flag on the Browns or Jags sideline? Just another example of those PC-policing libtards ruining everything that’s great about America, our national game, and our GOD given right to watch gorillas demolish quarterbacks. 

On 10/23/2018 at 1:16 PM, DG_Now said:

Sports are about cash and entertainment

Actually, sports are about competition.  This competition can be very entertaining.  And if it is so entertaining that it can generate revenue beyond a certain level, then this makes professional sports possible.  But there has to be a basis of legitimate competition underlying it all.

Let us realise that no one claims that that a team that loses in a playoff series should advance just because they would be fun to watch.  They lost, and their season is over; allowing them into subsequent rounds would cheapen the whole affair.  I will assume that everyone agrees on that.  So it is hard to understand why people don't see that, likewise, if a team does not win its division, it has lost that round and its season should be over.

I remember learning this lesson well when during the first ALDS between the wild-card Yankees and the Mariners in 1995. When the Yankees lost that series, I found that I was not sad in the least.  This stood in stark contrast to the awful tearful sadness that I'd had when they lost in the ALCS in 1980, and, to a lesser degree, to the stinging disappointment that I had felt at their World Series losses of 1976 and 1981.  In 1995 I had no great emotional reaction to the team's 1995 ALDS loss, because I knew in my heart that the Yankees, not having won their division, did not really belong in the post-season anyway.

This was the first step in my retirement from being a baseball fan.  The final straw came with interleague play; but the wild card really did more damage than interleague play.  While interleague play screws up the record books, the wild card undermines the integrity of the competition.  It was impossible for me to maintain any sort of passion about the sport if the people running it were not going to respect the competition.

This is why allowing only divisional champions into the playoffs is a bedrock bottom-line requirement.

NFL: get rid of it entirely

NBA: expansion teams in Seattle and another city who presents the best bid.  Lengthen the season by a week and get rid of 2-3 preseason games.  Change the first round of playoffs back to best of five.

MLB: Rays to Montreal, expansion teams in Las Vegas and Brooklyn.  Runner on 2nd to start the 11th inning if the game is still tied.  Batter can only leave the box once during an at bat unless forced to by an errant/way inside pitch.  Make Rob Manfred work as a shift manager at a local Target.

NHL: Panthers to Quebec, Coyotes to Portland, Hurricanes to Houston.

MLS: expansion team in Baltimore (I’m biased) and Las Vegas, get Philly a stadium in the sports complex, work towards a merger/partnership with the USL that could potentially lead to a pro/rel system if/when it was financially viable.  Move the Revs so they’re not an archaic stain on the league.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Actually, sports are about competition.  This competition can be very entertaining.  And if it is so entertaining that it can generate revenue beyond a certain level, then this makes professional sports possible.  But there has to be a basis of legitimate competition underlying it all.

No...no that's not true. Professional sports are television and merchandising and live event products intended to generate profits.

Rules are constantly modified for the benefit of the entertainment experience and sometimes very much at the expense of pure competition. Ask NFL defenses about the legitimacy of what they can do now versus what was possible just a decade ago.

Pro sports are fun but they're not real. They're entertainment products with underlying rules, but they're not that much different than game shows fundamentally. The production just happens in a different way.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Rules are constantly modified for the benefit of the entertainment experience and sometimes very much at the expense of pure competition. Ask NFL defenses about the legitimacy of what they can do now versus what was possible just a decade ago.

An interesting assertion.  But that example does not support the assertion.  The new NFL defensive rules cannot be said to be "at the expense of pure competition".  These rules are neutral with respect to the competition, as all teams are equally subject to them.  The teams that adapt best to the new rules will have the advantage.  

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Pro sports are fun but they're not real. They're entertainment products with underlying rules, but they're not that much different than game shows fundamentally. The production just happens in a different way.

I don't see how this counters anything that I have said.  I am happy to accept the equivalence between a game show and a sport, as both are a presentation of competition in an enterrtaining way, the only difference being that a sport requires greaters physical prowess and a more intense level of physical exertion. 

But let us realise that a game show could have rules that undermine the competition.  I think it was Password that once had a three-round game with more points available in the third round than the total points available in the first two rounds, which effectively made the first two rounds meaningless. This is the kind of rule that comes at the expense of competition; and its analogue in sports is the rule which allows non-champions to advance to the playoffs alongside champions.  (In the NFL from 1978 through 1989, at least the playoffs were weighted against the wild card teams, who had to play an extra game as compared to the divisional champs.)

Archived