If You Ruled The World of Sports

Mac the Knife

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

No...no that's not true. Professional sports are television and merchandising and live event products intended to generate profits.

Rules are constantly modified for the benefit of the entertainment experience and sometimes very much at the expense of pure competition. Ask NFL defenses about the legitimacy of what they can do now versus what was possible just a decade ago.

Pro sports are fun but they're not real. They're entertainment products with underlying rules, but they're not that much different than game shows fundamentally. The production just happens in a different way.

This is why pro wrestling is the realest sport.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is crazy, but I would make all leagues actually call the rules as they’re written. It drives me mad that you could call holding on every single NFL play, or a certain amount of slashing is always tolerated in the NHL when a guy gets past you for a breakaway, for example. Change the rules if it becomes necessary, but actually call them the way they are. I know there are probably lots of people who think that this will make the refs even more center stage than they are now (I am no fan of that), but I think it would eventually be the complete opposite. If there’s a rational, predictable officiating crew, then it’s really on the players to not do the bad things. The way things are now, you have this “Why does God let bad things happen?” kind of problem, where the times an official does decide to intervene is as much a choice of theirs as it is a result of the play on the field. 

Quasi-related, but I would move to fully integrate replay and move officiating out of the 1950s. Instant replay right now is tacked on like some half-assed “nailed it” Internet meme. I would put a ref up in the booth with as much power as the ones on the field. They would be able to use the bird’s eye view to their advantage, and also would be equipped the the tech to rewind and review all camera angles instantly. If a replay isn’t conclusive in 15 seconds, let it stand the way it was called. We should be deciding the call in just the time it takes someone to jog out with the tablet now.

• 3 weeks later...

NHL and IIHF:

- While some sunbelt teams just have not worked, I feel others have. With that though, I think we can all agree the Coyotes need to go. They have been a joke since day one. Move them to Hamilton. With that I'd move Columbus back to the West.

- Carolina moves back to Hartford with stable ownership and a new arena that is suitable for NHL use

- Seattle still gets their expansion team with the name Totems with a green and white colour scheme

- Florida moves to Quebec City and the Nordiques (with Adidas versions of their 1995 jerseys) are revived with all history reverting back to them from the Avalanche

- Wins-Losses-Ties are back, shootouts are gone and it goes from 5 minute 4v4 and if still tied, 5 minute 3v3 then a tie after that

- Icing goes to IIHF rule

- Playoffs are back to the old way with division semi finals --> division finals --> conference finals --> Stanley Cup finals

- have an agreement between the IOC, IIHF and NHL for player participation in the Olympics and make it last

- have a exhibition tournament between the Continental Cup winner, Champions League winner, KHL champion and Stanley Cup champion play for the Victoria Cup. Alternate the tournament between Europe and North America

- have a uniform system similar to the NBA with 4 jerseys. League (white), City (dark), Statement (alternate) and Heritage (this can either honor the team's history or hockey history within the city/state/province)... jersey names are not what I would necessarily suggest but to give an idea

- ads will NOT go on game jerseys

- The World Cup will not happen again

- season reduced by 20-30 games and season will start the same time as European games (September), playoffs end early this way

- IIHF World Championship will not be played during Olympic years for the top division (same as what happens in women's)

- European expansion will not happen

Major League Rugby, World Rugby & Rugby Canada:

- make it more mainstream with a major network TV deal in both Canada and the US

- Teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Quebec and Halifax (games played in CFL stadiums with areas covered to reduce seating)

- have a 7's tournament with the teams during the pre-season, alternate the location every year

- Rugby World Cup FINALLY comes to North America with co-hosting duties between Canada and the USA. Games in Canada are played in cities with MLR teams, US games in NFL stadiums, Canada gets half the quarter finals and one semi final and bronze medal game, US gets other half and final

- Get rid of the old boys club and fix the issues within Rugby Canada for the men's side of things... women's side seems to be doing pretty well for themselves

- expand the Rugby World Cup to 24 teams

On 10/22/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

DIVISION I COLLEGE SPORTS

• Get rid of it completely.  Professionalise the entire structure, severing all ties to universities.  Players are hired as employees, and are sold to NBA and NFL organisations.

I'm with you. These sports are a front for <MOD EDIT> and God knows what else.

I'd modify the NHL schedule so that teams are playing three game series every weekend. The most competitive hockey tends to be played when teams face off in a series (look at the playoffs or regular season home and home games). Plus it would add the excitement of a big series being played each weekend (look at the playoffs, college hockey, or baseball).

The primary concern with this idea is player health. Hockey is an exhausting game, especially if played three nights in a row. One option is to spread the games out between a handful of days, so long as a game is being played Friday or Saturday night. Another option is to eliminate early weekday games entirely, because there's already an issue with fans attending games on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

Making each series more of an "event" would pump more excitement into a league that desperately needs some attention. Casual fans have a hard time getting invested when they don't understand the schedule. Football schedules are obviously the most intriguing for fans but even baseball and college hockey schedules present some excitement. It would be much better for fans if they could say "the Rangers are coming to town this weekend!" as opposed to not knowing when games are or who the opponent is.

16 hours ago, Bmac said:

I'd modify the NHL schedule so that teams are playing three game series every weekend. The most competitive hockey tends to be played when teams face off in a series (look at the playoffs or regular season home and home games). Plus it would add the excitement of a big series being played each weekend (look at the playoffs, college hockey, or baseball).

The primary concern with this idea is player health. Hockey is an exhausting game, especially if played three nights in a row. One option is to spread the games out between a handful of days, so long as a game is being played Friday or Saturday night. Another option is to eliminate early weekday games entirely, because there's already an issue with fans attending games on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

Making each series more of an "event" would pump more excitement into a league that desperately needs some attention. Casual fans have a hard time getting invested when they don't understand the schedule. Football schedules are obviously the most intriguing for fans but even baseball and college hockey schedules present some excitement. It would be much better for fans if they could say "the Rangers are coming to town this weekend!" as opposed to not knowing when games are or who the opponent is.

What are hockey ratings like on weekend nights?  I'd wager that Friday and Saturday nights are probably lower than M-R (and maybe the reverse would be true about attendance.)

Aren't most Sunday games played in the afternoon?  You'd have Saturday night followed by Sunday afternoon.  I'd imagine players could condition themselves for that every weekend, however then you'd never have Monday games because 3 in a row, with one on short rest, and one right after traveling, is just inhumane.

I like where your head is at, but I can't see any way it's practical.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If everything is special then nothing is.

Like NBA, I don't understand some people's fascination with "fixing" the regular season. Teams play a bunch of games in conference and fewer out of conference. Why is that bad? If you live in Phoenix, you get to see Kyrie once a year. That's pretty cool. And also sometimes you get random things like the Wolves and Magic having an awesome game.

I think the serendipity you can find in a long regular season is a good thing. Why make everything Super Intense all the time?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 11/11/2018 at 10:19 PM, DnBronc said:

I'm with you. These sports are a front for <MOD EDIT> and God knows what else.

I'm here after the mod edit but if it's what I think it is you're not wrong, didn't that all come out ten years ago with Tennessee and the "campus guides" or whatever they called them?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What are hockey ratings like on weekend nights?  I'd wager that Friday and Saturday nights are probably lower than M-R (and maybe the reverse would be true about attendance.)

Aren't most Sunday games played in the afternoon?  You'd have Saturday night followed by Sunday afternoon.  I'd imagine players could condition themselves for that every weekend, however then you'd never have Monday games because 3 in a row, with one on short rest, and one right after traveling, is just inhumane.

I like where your head is at, but I can't see any way it's practical.

I think that depends heavily on the market. Hockey takes center stage in places like Minnesota and Canada and therefore seems to do better on the weekend. In places like New York or Philadelphia hockey isn't likely the most popular event in town and might not be as popular on a weekend.

But I believe all of that is a product of the way the league has been run for the past 50 years. Had the NHL originally adopted a series format in 1967 I think we'd see a more competitive, much more popular league today.

You're absolutely right about scheduling. Ideally it'd be a combination of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games with a day off somewhere in there. Games on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday wouldn't exist. There would probably be less games in a season as well.

I don't think there's any realistic way to implement such a change today. It's probably too late. But I still feel it provides the opportunity for the best hockey.

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm here after the mod edit but if it's what I think it is you're not wrong, didn't that all come out ten years ago with Tennessee and the "campus guides" or whatever they called them?

It may have.

All American Sports in General

• Allow for the streaming of all games, regardless of location within the United States (or Canada)
  • The National Anthem must only be played on days in which there are American (or Canadian) holidays
  • Allow for the gambling of all sports
  • All video review must be made public, including communication between officials and league headquarters

MLB

• Be definitive on the DH rule
  • 8 teams make the playoffs per each league
  • Put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame
  • Away jerseys can be any color other than white
  • Certain teams can wear tinted white jerseys if they are the home team
  • Put on a MiLB game on the MLB Network per week

MLS

• Get rid of the Super Draft, it is silly for a draft to be in soccer
  • Increase the salary cap to be somewhat closer to the other professional sports leagues
  • Let the Canadian teams move to the Canadian Premier League to increase soccer hype in Canada
  • Align the schedule to be compliant with the other CONCACAF leagues
  • Let each team chose their jersey manufacturer
  • Promotion/Relegation would be neat

NBA

• Lower the salary cap to limit the creation of super teams
  • Lessen the number of fouls in general; players should only receive a foul if their action presents a danger to the safety of another player
  • Teams are allowed 3 jerseys: primary, clash, and third jersey
  • Require all-draft eligible players to be upperclassmen in college or be age-equivalent

NCAA

• All football conferences must have 10 teams
  • Install an NFL style scheduling for OOC games
  • Allow for all service academies, Notre Dame, and BYU to be independent
  • Create a larger bracket for the College Football Playoffs
  • Schools must have a winning record in order to be eligible for a non-playoff bowl game
  • Move all FCS schools to create a new DII
  • Move collegiate sprint football to the spring, and strongly recommend regular schools to create sprint football
  • Current DII and DIII programs are moved to create a new NAIA
  • Restructure March Madness to follow the new DII and NAIA
  • NCAA Baseball players must use wooden bats
  • Increase funding to allow for the creation of more legitimate DI hockey programs

NFL

• Abolish the one helmet rule
  • Change overtime rules to follow NCAA standards
  • Move all games to be on Sunday and Monday, except for Thanksgiving between Detroit and Dallas
  • No more ties
  • Create a minor league for the development of college prospects
  • Contracts must be more player friendly
  • Let the All-Star game be played internationally

NHL

• Either move to an international scoring system (3-2-1-0) or just move to wins and losses
  • Abolish the trapezoid rule
  • Teams on the penalty kill are not allowed to ice the puck
  • Fighting in a game results in an ejection from the game
  • Move back to the wooden stick to reduce spending for parents of prospective hockey players
  • Allow for NHL players to participate in the Olympics, and give cap assistance to teams whose players get injured during the Olympics
  • Give Arizona, Carolina, and Florida 5 more years to prove that they can get decent attendance and television viewing numbers before moving them to new markets
  • Once Seattle becomes a team, create 8 divisions of 4 teams

That's what- She

16 hours ago, Bmac said:

I think that depends heavily on the market. Hockey takes center stage in places like Minnesota and Canada and therefore seems to do better on the weekend. In places like New York or Philadelphia hockey isn't likely the most popular event in town and might not be as popular on a weekend.

Perhaps you could even say that Saturday night, in Canada, is something of a hockey night. A Hockey Night in Canada, if you will.

Yeah, I'm not really keen on this series concept. What makes the Stanley Cup so special is the way you switch from a scattershot schedule to familiarity breeding contempt in the best-of-seven. A big part of the difference between regular-season hockey and Playoff Hockey is developing/deepening that familiarity with your opponent, finding matchup problems that don't arise in one-offs, and exploiting them. Being that hockey is essentially a game of exploiting matchups, I like that this is heavily rewarded in determining its champion -- the dustbin of NHL history is overflowing with teams that ran up 100 points on trap/shell defenses or catching opponents napping in February, but then got exposed as soon as a superior team had a chance to really sink their teeth in. I appreciate a good home-and-home between division rivals, but making three-game sets the norm would get tiresome in a hurry. It's pie for dinner.

Quick note on NHL scheduling without a comprehensive attempt at putting the whole league to rights: take back Boxing Day as a hockey day! Everyone's usually sitting around doing nothing, put hockey on. If you want to restrict it to teams in proximity so that any travel can be that morning, that's fine and might even be better. Blues @ Blackhawks was a December 26th tradition for years and years. Pick two of Rangers-Islanders-Devils-Flyers and make that a December 26th game. Flames-Oilers, maybe. Bruins-Whalers would be perfect if we still had the Whalers because the Bruins like day games. Seattle-Vancouver eventually for your late game.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, ~Bear said:
On 10/23/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

there shouldn't be an equality of status; the offensive player should be favoured.  The receiver should be allowed to push the defender away while trying to make the catch; by contrast, any contact intitiated by the defensive player should be penalised.

...why though? Do you want a more offensive game?

This idea is motivated more by a concept of fairness than by a desire to bring about any particular type of result. I look at the situation this way: it's the offence's ball; so, when a pass goes up, the offensive player is entitled to it in a way that the defensive player is not.

The same conceptual motivation underlies my elimination of the prohibition on offensive goal tending in basketball, and also my allowing the player with the ball to throw elbows.

Getting rid of offensive pass interference would not necessarily lead to 60-point games, as coaches would respond by channelling the best athletes into the more challenging role of defensive back. You'd still see passes batted away and intercepted; but these achievements would have to be done properly, which is to say, without any contact on the receiver.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

it's the offence's ball; so, when a pass goes up, the offensive player is entitled to it in a way that the defensive player is not.

correct, continue

The same conceptual motivation underlies my elimination of the prohibition on offensive goal tending in basketball,

correct, continue

and also my allowing the player with the ball to throw elbows.

you got greedy, Martin

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Perhaps you could even say that Saturday night, in Canada, is something of a hockey night. A Hockey Night in Canada, if you will.

Yeah, I'm not really keen on this series concept. What makes the Stanley Cup so special is the way you switch from a scattershot schedule to familiarity breeding contempt in the best-of-seven. A big part of the difference between regular-season hockey and Playoff Hockey is developing/deepening that familiarity with your opponent, finding matchup problems that don't arise in one-offs, and exploiting them. Being that hockey is essentially a game of exploiting matchups, I like that this is heavily rewarded in determining its champion -- the dustbin of NHL history is overflowing with teams that ran up 100 points on trap/shell defenses or catching opponents napping in February, but then got exposed as soon as a superior team had a chance to really sink their teeth in. I appreciate a good home-and-home between division rivals, but making three-game sets the norm would get tiresome in a hurry. It's pie for dinner.

Quick note on NHL scheduling without a comprehensive attempt at putting the whole league to rights: take back Boxing Day as a hockey day! Everyone's usually sitting around doing nothing, put hockey on. If you want to restrict it to teams in proximity so that any travel can be that morning, that's fine and might even be better. Blues @ Blackhawks was a December 26th tradition for years and years. Pick two of Rangers-Islanders-Devils-Flyers and make that a December 26th game. Flames-Oilers, maybe. Bruins-Whalers would be perfect if we still had the Whalers because the Bruins like day games. Seattle-Vancouver eventually for your late game.

I mean you're absolutely right, which is exactly why I'm advocating for it.

The regular season should be as competitive as the postseason. Cut down on the total number of games if you have to. But everything you said is exactly why I want to see that in the regular season. Teams should have to be on top of their game all season long.

Admittedly my primary basis for this concept comes from my love of college hockey, which has the exact opposite problem. The regular season is wonderfully competitive and every series is so important. Of course, it's all undone with the obligatory dumb NCAA playoff format. Much like the March Madness tournament, the hockey postseason relies on the excitement of a potential playoff run to the Frozen Four. I yearn for a competitive regular season capped off by a competitive, rewarding postseason.

Again, I realize it's not the most practical at this point but for the sake of competition and relevance I think a series concept would be beneficial.

And you're spot on with Boxing Day.

21 minutes ago, Bmac said:

The regular season should be as competitive as the postseason.

No it shouldn't. That's Tony Schiavone Syndrome: every night can't be the most important night in history. Leave yourself some headroom. Maybe I like that the world is not in the balance in some dumbass Avs game on some January Wednesday.

• 2 months later...

MLB:

1.  Either expand to 32 teams or contract to 28, thus allowing both leagues to have an even number of teams in each league.

2.  No more inter-league play.  While the 2000 World Series between the Yankees and Mets was special, imagine how much more special it would have been had they not seen one another during the regular season.

3.  I am fine with having the DH remain in the American League and no DH in the National League.

4. Return the Milwaukee Brewers to the American League and the Houston Astros to the National League.

5.  I would eliminate having a second wild-card team and a one game "playoff" for the wildcard teams and amend the Division Series round and make it a best 4 out of 7.

5a.  The wildcard team would play against the #1 seeded team, even if from the same division.  The Wild Card team would play games 1, 2, 5*, 6* and 7* (if necessary) at the #1 seed.  The wildcard team would have to win 5 out of 7 to advance to the LCS while the #1 seeded team would only have to win 3 out of 7 to advance.  This would give all 3 division winners in each league added incentive to try to get the top seed.  Also, the wildcard team would have to win, at minimum, 3 road games and they could never win the Division Series on their home field.

5b.  The LCS would remain a best 4 out of 7 contest with the highest seeded remaining teams having home field advantage.

6.  Have more post-season playoff games start earlier, especially the World Series.  I'd resume having the World Series begin on a Saturday.  Games 1, 2 and games 6 and 7 if necessary could all be played during the daytime.  Games 3, 4 and 5 could still be night games but an earlier start, 7:05pm EST is reasonable in my humble opinion.

7.  I concur with another poster, bring back league presidents.

8.  Allow instant replay for blown calls such as the one against Armando Galarraga back in 2010 (wow was it THAT long ago already?!?!) which cost him a perfect game.

9. Minimize the number of times a pitcher can throw over to first base to hold a runner.  At least require one pitch to the batter in between tosses over to first base.

10.  Bring back more colorful uniforms.  So hard quite often to tell one team from another.

Padres - Brown and Yellow again!

Astros - Orange

Phillies - Burgundy/Maroon instead of red (far too many red teams)

Nationals - Navy blue caps always, they look too much like the Phillies, Cards and Reds

NFL:

Eliminate bye weeks during the regular season and play the Super Bowl the last Sunday in January.  (Won't ever happen, too much $$$ plus February is a TV ratings sweeps month)...

If bye weeks have to be kept in, give one division off each week and then they would play one another the following week.

(e.g. AFC East bye week during week 4, they would play one another in week 5 Dolphins vs Patriots, Jets vs. Bills)

As the Pro Bowl is a total joke, just vote for players to be All-Pro and forego playing the actual game anymore.  Also I always hated the term All-Pro....aren't they ALL Pros?  They're getting paid after all...

No more timeouts to "ice the kicker".

Holding penalties should be 5 yards not 10!  Crazy to think it used to be 15.

The last 3 weeks of the regular season would be all divisional games only.

Except for the Thursday night opener and Thanksgiving day games in Detroit and Dallas, no more Thursday night games.

Amend overtime so that both teams get one possession.  So if the first team scores a touchdown, allow the other team to try to do so as well.

Unpopular change probably by most if not all fans, but I would get rid of that 2 point conversion after a touchdown.  Just seems very Bush league to have it in the NFL.

I would consider a compromise if the Belichick idea was implemented, make a TD worth 7 points automatically, but if a team wanted to go for an 8th point, they could, but if they failed, they would only get 6 points for a touchdown instead of 7.

More than one helmet would be allowed, especially if both team helmets were the same color.  Dolphins vs Cardinals for example, either allow the Dolphins to have an aqua helmet or the Cardinals to have a cardinal red helmet.  In the case of the Bengals vs Browns, have the Browns wear white helmets with the brown and orange stripes down the center of the helmet.

No more regular season games outside the United States.  This is the NATIONAL Football League, NOT the INTERNATIONAL Football League dang it!

I wouldnt mind giving the NFL a fixed schedule.

Weeks 1-4

AFC v NFC

Weeks 5-6 Crossover weeks ( play the team that finished the same place as you in previous division)

Weeks 7-11 Division v Division week+ Bye (Conference wide. NFC Week 8, AFC week 9. Switch every other year)

Weeks 12-17 Divisional Games

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 1/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, wdm1219inpenna said:

4. Return the Milwaukee Brewers to the American League and the Houston Astros to the National League.

That might work for you, but I'd imagine Brewers fans might not like that idea after so many years (pre and post the AL era) of being an NL city.

The wildcard team would have to win 5 out of 7 to advance to the LCS while the #1 seeded team would only have to win 3 out of 7 to advance.

I'm in favor of stacking the deck against non-division winners, but 1) this is down right insane and will only serve to create controversy when some team that won 4 games but lost a series against an eventual WS winner claims (rightly so) that they were better than the champs.  There's also the case where a division winner wins 102 games, the WC from same division won 101, and the other division winners won like 90 and 87.  Doesn't seem right to stack the deck too much against that particular WC team.

7.  I concur with another poster, bring back league presidents.

Why?

9. Minimize the number of times a pitcher can throw over to first base to hold a runner.  At least require one pitch to the batter in between tosses over to first base.

This fundamentally changes the game and gives a huge advantage to the runners.  I agree that baseball is slow and boring, and tosses to 1b just make it worse, but it's part of the game and there's no way to reduce/eliminate it and keep the game fair.

NFL:

Eliminate bye weeks during the regular season and play the Super Bowl the last Sunday in January.  (Won't ever happen, too much $$$ plus February is a TV ratings sweeps month)...

It's more than $$$ - it's about player safety too.  I'm not naive enough to think that the $$$ isn't the primary driver, but the league couldn't pretend to care about the players then take away their off week.

No more timeouts to "ice the kicker".

I think icing the kicker - especially when the timeout is called as the ball is snapped - is stupid and amateur - but I'm not sure how to ban it.  Maybe say "no timeouts with fewer than 3 seconds left on the play clock", but there's plenty of situations where that's actually necessary.

Holding penalties should be 5 yards not 10!  Crazy to think it used to be 15.

Yeah, 10 seems pretty harsh, considering the team is also losing whatever gain they had (though more often than not, the gain wouldn't have been achieved if not for the hold.)  If it wasn't that the game was already overly legislated and ruined by judgement calls made by people with poor (or influenced) judgement, I'd have "minor" and "major" holds, based on if it had a direct impact on the play.  As a compromise - just call it if it was blatant and near the ball carrier or on a pass rush.

The last 3 weeks of the regular season would be all divisional games only.

Yeah, I've also said in the past that the schedule could be arranged as follows:

Weeks 1-4: interconference games (kind of like 'tune up' games for the conference schedule)

Weeks 5-7: division games

Weeks 8-13: intraconference games

Weeks 14-16: division games

Throw the bye week in there, based on division - I hate the whole "1/2 game back" in the division standings because of staggered byes.  Not sure the networks would like for the whole NFC East to be off though.

Amend overtime so that both teams get one possession.  So if the first team scores a touchdown, allow the other team to try to do so as well.

NFL OT is one of the worst things in sports, and it baffles me how seemingly smart people can continue to screw it up.  Just give each team a possession that starts from a kickoff, that way it's truly fair, or at least take away the touchdown-ends-it rule.

Unpopular change probably by most if not all fans, but I would get rid of that 2 point conversion after a touchdown.  Just seems very Bush league to have it in the NFL.

How the heck is this bush league? 

I would consider a compromise if the Belichick idea was implemented, make a TD worth 7 points automatically, but if a team wanted to go for an 8th point, they could, but if they failed, they would only get 6 points for a touchdown instead of 7.

Here's my solution: a TD is worth 7, but you can "gamble" as many of those points as you want on a conversion attempt.  So if you are down by 10, you could wager 3 of your points on the conversion.  Maybe make the conversion attempts harder as more points are wagered, so a 5-point conversion would be snapped at the 10 yard line or something.  So basically, add 2-yards per point wagered or somethign like that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NCAA: reduce all conferences to a maximum of ten schools, ensuring each football teams plays against all the schools in their conference every season and each basketball team plays their conference rivals twice a season.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived