Can anybody explain this patch

Here are pics form a Patrick Roy Canadiens jersey from 1993.

The proper material and font is used on the jersey.

The oddity is the Stanley Cup patch. This was not the patch used in '93, this was not the Stanley Cup Logo in '93. The Easter & Western Conferences did not exist in '93 as it was the last year of the Campbell and Wales Conferences. In the '93 Finals the Canadians Finals patch was written in English for the games in Los Angeles and in French for the games in Montreal. 

The patch seems to be of a higher quality than the counterfeits and the zig-zag sewing do not look like what is typically seen on a fake.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Real Patrick Roy jersey; fake Stanley Cup patch sewn on ex-post. 

A lot of fake patches are on eBay and the owner didn't know any better.

Judging by the NHL hem logo and CCM sleeve logo, that's a 2000-ish Canadiens jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Another oddity there on top of what’s already been covered is the color scheme of that particular patch. I don’t recall that logo version ever being black, blue, and white. It varied a little, but it was always more multi-colored than that if I’m not mistaken. And as noted, that logo style wasn’t adopted till later, too. Very odd.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That jersey also should not have Roy's name and number on it. The Canadiens wore CCM jerseys with the CCM logo on the yoke from 2000-2004, well after Roy left the team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

That jersey also should not have Roy's name and number on it. The Canadiens wore CCM jerseys with the CCM logo on the yoke from 2000-2004, well after Roy left the team.

It's a replica CCM jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, charger77 said:

Here are pics form a Patrick Roy Canadiens jersey from 1993.

The proper material and font is used on the jersey.

The oddity is the Stanley Cup patch. This was not the patch used in '93, this was not the Stanley Cup Logo in '93. The Easter & Western Conferences did not exist in '93 as it was the last year of the Campbell and Wales Conferences. In the '93 Finals the Canadians Finals patch was written in English for the games in Los Angeles and in French for the games in Montreal. 

The patch seems to be of a higher quality than the counterfeits and the zig-zag sewing do not look like what is typically seen on a fake.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The type is actually not correct. Montréal has worn the CCM-style numbers since, I want to say, the mid-1980s. The chamfers at the corners should be smaller and the trim maybe a touch lighter. The sleeve numbers are a dead giveaway. They should be much thinner. The nameplate lettering should also be more condensed.

19082.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think that's also a replica.  Didn't on-ice CCM jerseys not use the red and blue CCM logo, but rather white and some other color ones?  Like this?

goalie-patrick-roy-of-the-montreal-canad

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's a replica CCM jersey.

It is, but it’s a replica of the CCM style worn from 2000-2004, which Roy never wore. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The type is actually not correct. Montréal has worn the CCM-style numbers since, I want to say, the mid-1980s. The chamfers at the corners should be smaller and the trim maybe a touch lighter. The sleeve numbers are a dead giveaway. They should be much thinner. The nameplate lettering should also be more condensed.

19082.jpg

Dang, ashamed I missed that!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

52 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Dang, ashamed I missed that!

It’s a tough one to spot. They actually still wear this style, though they added the second outline to the numbers on the white jersey and beefed up the numbers on the red jersey to match.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived