Seattle Sockeyes Concept (Updated 10/20)

8BW14

So, with all of the hubbub around the NHL expansion to Seattle, Washington, I was inspired to whip up a set of concept logos for the new hockey club. Frankly, I'm in love with the Sockeyes as the name for the new team. It's fun, local, unique and lends itself to some great color schemes and imagery. Here are some of the images I took some inspiration from as I was designing my logos.

awFrlk7.png

I played around with a few color schemes, all of which focused on the distinctive red and green of the spawning Sockeye Salmon. I tried black, and dark green as the third color, but eventually settled on navy blue as the complimentary color to red and green because Seattle sports teams are kinda known for their use of navy blue and more importantly, I thought it looked the best.

Color Scheme (with goofy marketing-speak color names):

SWjLQqH.png

The primary logo I created features a swimming salmon, its powerful tail propelling it upstream, with its intimidating teeth on display:

fxEOymx.png

The alternate logo/shouder patch is the letter S dressed up as a sockeye salmon. I was inspired by Native American-style illustrations in the design of the alternate logo, albeit a heavily simplified and stylized version:

aWEGHlK.png 

That's it for now. Thanks for having a look and please feel free to offer C&C because this is far from a finished product. Thanks again.

Logo-wise, this would be far stronger without the yellow.  It is so tertiary at the moment, it might as well not even be there.

Additionally, if you turn all of your colors grayscale, they will be the same tonally, that tricks your eye into thinking its muddy and low contrast.  Make whatever color you decide for accent much more saturated or bright (essentially what @stumpygremlin is saying) and that will help immensely with contrast. 

See how the red and the green are almost exactly the same?

uapZ8WG.png

7CAjavE.png

Seattleite here!

It's a good start, I'd say...

I feel like the logo's a bit oddly weighted with the tail being way more prominent than the head.The green on the tail also feels kinda abrupt...

Just a thought: maybe you could make the current divide between red and navy into subtle mountains!

The red seems too saturated and dark and the navy is so desaturated it looks gray to me, so I'd play with the colors a bit.

Finally, I think the S is way too angular for a fish.

These are some good ideas; I think it's worth messing around with some more!

3 hours ago, n312rb said:

Logo-wise, this would be far stronger without the yellow.  It is so tertiary at the moment, it might as well not even be there.

Additionally, if you turn all of your colors grayscale, they will be the same tonally, that tricks your eye into thinking its muddy and low contrast.  Make whatever color you decide for accent much more saturated or bright and that will help immensely with contrast. 

See how the red and the green are almost exactly the same?

uapZ8WG.png

Thanks for the visual. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. I did some messing around with the color and darkened the red quite a bit. As for the yellow, it is only used as the color of the eye, which, I think is a defining characteristic of the fish. Would you just make it white?

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

Seattleite here!

It's a good start, I'd say...

I feel like the logo's a bit oddly weighted with the tail being way more prominent than the head.The green on the tail also feels kinda abrupt...

Just a thought: maybe you could make the current divide between red and navy into subtle mountains!

The red seems too saturated and dark and the navy is so desaturated it looks gray to me, so I'd play with the colors a bit.

Finally, I think the S is way too angular for a fish.

These are some good ideas; I think it's worth messing around with some more!

Totally see what you're talking about with the tail. It's way too big, throws the perspective off. I tried your mountain idea, just wasn't feeling it, seemed way too angular and hard for a fish.

I've made some changes to the color scheme, which will hopefully take care of some of the issues with the muddiness/saturation.

Still working on the S, but I think you have a valid point with it being too angular.

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

I think the colors can be helped greatly by lightening the teal. Think of perhaps using the old Florida Marlins' teal or even the teal from the city's flag. Also, is there a reason to have two shades of red in the back section of the fish?

Other than that, I like this a lot.

Seattle's flag color is a little too blue, I think. I want the emerald green to look more green than blue. I have played around with the color some and I think darkening the red is a better option than lightening the green/teal. 

Taking all of your feedback into consideration, this is what I came up with the second time around:

1PEjgPN.png

The new color scheme is reminiscent of the Seattle Metropolitans. I darkened the red to a shade of burgundy, swapped navy blue for forest green and changed the emerald green to a slightly more green hue.

h5YEQJ6.png

Aside from the recoloring of the logo, I made the tail smaller and adjusted the shape of the shading on the side of the fish to be less severe. Thanks for all of the helpful feedback, guys. I really appreciate it. Have a look at the changes I made and please let me know what you think. Thanks  

49 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Thanks for the visual. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. I did some messing around with the color and darkened the red quite a bit. As for the yellow, it is only used as the color of the eye, which, I think is a defining characteristic of the fish. Would you just make it white?

Totally see what you're talking about with the tail. It's way too big, throws the perspective off. I tried your mountain idea, just wasn't feeling it, seemed way too angular and hard for a fish.

I've made some changes to the color scheme, which will hopefully take care of some of the issues with the muddiness/saturation.

Still working on the S, but I think you have a valid point with it being too angular.

Seattle's flag color is a little too blue, I think. I want the emerald green to look more green than blue. I have played around with the color some and I think darkening the red is a better option than lightening the green/teal. 

Taking all of your feedback into consideration, this is what I came up with the second time around:

1PEjgPN.png

The new color scheme is reminiscent of the Seattle Metropolitans. I darkened the red to a shade of burgundy, swapped navy blue for forest green and changed the emerald green to a slightly more green hue.

h5YEQJ6.png

Aside from the recoloring of the logo, I made the tail smaller and adjusted the shape of the shading on the side of the fish to be less severe. Thanks for all of the helpful feedback, guys. I really appreciate it. Have a look at the changes I made and please let me know what you think. Thanks  

Honestly, in my opinion, darkening the red kind of made it worse. The red and the green are both very dark shades, and they touch each other. That leaves the only contrast as the lighter green. Again, only in my opinion, I think you'd be better off going back to your original palette, but lightening the teal. Then, you'd have something that'd really pop.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

1PEjgPN.png

h5YEQJ6.png

You made the tail-fin (caudal fin) smaller, but I think people meant the actual tail. I think you could benefit from going back and drawing this out with pencil and paper. Fish have to have flowing lines and shapes that are hard to produce using just programs.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

14 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

You made the tail-fin (caudal fin) smaller, but I think people meant the actual tail. I think you could benefit from going back and drawing this out with pencil and paper. Fish have to have flowing lines and shapes that are hard to produce using just programs.

I actually almost always draw everything in pencil first. Here’s the original drawing:

YTLbZqQ.png

Your point still stands though. I think the lines of the original drawing to flow a little better.

Some good changes this round, I like the smaller fin,,, it may not be anatomically correct, but it looks better.

The general rule of thumb is never put red and green together, they "vibrate" and your eye sees that as a blur and is uncomfortable.

I like the new light green, the dark green is a miss, try the new green, your old navy and the new red along with a white eye.

7CAjavE.png

7ZzOMco.png

jqZ6EJi.png

Here are a couple new color schemes. The more I look at it the less happy I am with the idea of navy, but I went ahead and posted a version with dark red and navy blue. The second one with bright red and maroon is my favorite but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks of it. Thanks for taking a look and feel free to let me know what you think  

That new burgundy, navy, and green looks a lot better; much higher contrast. I like it!

The burgundy & candy-apple red don't work quite as well, IMO; the latter is way too bright. If you go that route, I think you need a pinker color instead (the photo of the fish you include looks pink to me.)

As for the curvature of the lines: yeah, that's a tough thing to work with, but I think you did a good job.

Archived