Cursed Uniforms

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Quillz said:

To further summarize, Super Bowl 24 was during that period of time where the NFC won 13 straight Super Bowls and the NFC Championship Game was usually seen as the "real" Super Bowl. Other highlights of that era include the Patriots also losing by a landslide, the Bills losing huge to the Cowboys, etc.

I wish I had thought this beforehand, but hey, here we are. I was looking at that era again and as mentioned, it was a bad time for Super Bowls. Those losses you mention, along with the two Broncos losses constitute four of the five biggest margins in Super Bowl history all occurring within an eight-year span. Which kind of makes the Broncos re-emergence in orange against the Seahawks being such a bludgeoning even more surprising considering the era. Within the decade previous to the Seahawks loss, the largest margin of victory was 14, and the largest since was also 14 (Broncos in white over the Panthers).

34 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeesh. I knew they lost in it every time, but I’d forgotten how bad they got decimated each time. Especially SB 24, my gosh. That’s a darn good candidate for “team’s most cursed uniform color”, at the very least.

Don’t get me wrong, they look good in orange and I know it’s “thier color”, but shoot they’d better never wear it in a Super Bowl again. Keep a blue set handy if you can’t wear white and LOCK THE ORANGE JERSEYS IN A GD SAFE UNTIL THE OFFSEASON

Well, there is a reason that they chose to wear white as the home team in Super Bowl 50 vs. Carolina.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

I wish I had thought this beforehand, but hey, here we are. I was looking at that era again and as mentioned, it was a bad time for Super Bowls. Those losses you mention, along with the two Broncos losses constitute four of the five biggest margins in Super Bowl history all occurring within an eight-year span. Which kind of makes the Broncos re-emergence in orange against the Seahawks being such a bludgeoning even more surprising considering the era. Within the decade previous to the Seahawks loss, the largest margin of victory was 14, and the largest since was also 14 (Broncos in white over the Panthers).

I haven't verified it yet, but I believe that the 13-Super Bowl win streak is a record for any consecutive wins by a particular league/conference in any of the "Big 4." I was doing some mental gymnastics and can't recall any other run of dominance (the NBA has had the West and East sometimes win 5-6 Finals in a row, the American League back in the 50s saw the Yanks win five straight, etc.) But if that does indeed hold up, that might back the 1980s NFC the most dominant era of any particular league/conference in North American sports history.

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Well, there is a reason that they chose to wear white as the home team in Super Bowl 50 vs. Carolina.

Yeah I could be misremembering, but didn’t they or someone say they picked white to dodge the “curse”? Either way, it sure paid off. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah I could be misremembering, but didn’t they or someone say they picked white to dodge the “curse”? Either way, it sure paid off. 

That's exactly why. It had the double effect of making Carolina wear black when they had worn white throughout the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

There was a streak for a while where the team wearing white in the Super Bowl won something like the previous 5-6. I don't know if it's still ongoing.

5 minutes ago, Quillz said:

There was a streak for a while where the team wearing white in the Super Bowl won something like the previous 5-6. I don't know if it's still ongoing.

The defending, reigning, Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Eagles ended that streak. The Patriots were the home team and elected to wear white. The streak lasted from 46 through 51, so six games.

ANOTHER thing about the Broncos in orange in the Super Bowl. Every single time the number one scoring defense plays the number one scoring offense, the defense wins. Except one. Super Bowl 24 when the orange-clad Broncos lost by 45 to the 49ers.

3 minutes ago, Quillz said:

It’s been in place since the 2004 Patriots won it all, only broken twice. First it was by a team in green (2010 Packers) and second by a team in Midnight Green (2017 Eagles).

So, you want a title and don’t want to wear white? Wear green!

47 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Oregon has lost 2 national championships wearing uniforms featuring "volt" and "anthracite."

2014- Oregon went 13-0 when there was yellow or green on their jerseys, and 0-2 without.

tinysig.jpg

Similar to the Broncos IIRC the Carolina Panthers have not done well in the playoffs wearing their black jerseys.

A couple games that come to mind are Super Bowl 50 (against the aforementioned white-clad Broncos) and the 2014 NFC Divisional Round, while at home to the Colin Kaepernick-led San Francisco 49ers (they also went mono-black in that game, too, IIRC).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Just to expand on this.

Super Bowl 12: Broncos lose to the Cowboys with quarterback Craig Morton throwing as many completions as he did interceptions (four).

Super Bowl 22: The Broncos end the first quarter up 10-0. By halftime they were down 35-10 before eventually losing 42-10 to Washington. Until the Pats comeback against Atlanta, ten points was the record for largest comeback in a Super Bowl. The Redskins also set records for points scored in a single quarter, total yards, rushing yards, passing yards, and so on and so forth.

Super Bowl 24: The Broncos get bludgeoned to death 55-10, the most points allowed in a Super Bowl and the largest margin of defeat. The Niners scored two touchdowns in every single quarter.

Super Bowl 48: The Seahawks opened the game with a 36-0 lead before Denver scored that one time, with a final score of 43-8.

To summarize, the orange-clad Broncos have been on the ass end of three of the five biggest ass kickings in Super Bowl history.

Denver's lone SB loss in non-orange- Super Bowl 21- they had a 10-9 halftime lead.

They ended up losing 39-20, but that was probably their 'best' showing in SB defeats (actually their smallest margin in a loss).

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

cleveland-browns-new-uniforms-695dd18750

But maybe is not because of uniforms?

After they started 1-1-1 this year, I was going to make a joke that this was the latest the Browns had been at .500 since _____, but it wasn't that long ago that they had some decent runs. One upon a time, they were just a mediocre-to-bad football team instead of an all-time-bad team. Their recent awful run coincides with the start of the new uniforms in 2015. Before these uniforms, the only times they had been truly awful were immediately following the Panthers/Jaguars backlash expansion draft.

49 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

After they started 1-1-1 this year, I was going to make a joke that this was the latest the Browns had been at .500 since _____, but it wasn't that long ago that they had some decent runs. One upon a time, they were just a mediocre-to-bad football team instead of an all-time-bad team. Their recent awful run coincides with the start of the new uniforms in 2015. Before these uniforms, the only times they had been truly awful were immediately following the Panthers/Jaguars backlash expansion draft.

And the last year with the old uniforms, they seriously flirted with a playoff spot

22 hours ago, Quillz said:

To further summarize, Super Bowl 24 was during that period of time where the NFC won 13 straight Super Bowls and the NFC Championship Game was usually seen as the "real" Super Bowl. Other highlights of that era include the Patriots also losing by a landslide, the Bills losing huge to the Cowboys, etc.

It's not that the orange jersey is "cursed" (if you believe in such things), they just had the misfortune of making it to the Super Bowl 3 times during an era where the NFC was ridiculously dominant.  That's the era I grew up in (Bears/Pats was the first Super Bowl I can remember) and it was bad.  The games (with the exception of wide right and maybe one of the 49er/Bengals games) were so imbalanced they were unwatchable.

24 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Phillies-all-maroon.jpg

One game, one loss, goodbye.

(Fortunately.)

Wow - I've never seen one of Michael Jack in that uniform.  Usually it's Larry Christiansen or Pete Rose.  Nice pull.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Denver's lone SB loss in non-orange- Super Bowl 21- they had a 10-9 halftime lead.

They ended up losing 39-20, but that was probably their 'best' showing in SB defeats (actually their smallest margin in a loss).

Uh, that's a 19-point loss. They lost by 17 to Dallas in Super Bowl XII. (27-10)

Denver was probably the first team "happy to be there", second would be the Pat Patriot Patriots in Super Bowl XX.

But I digress...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived