Cursed Uniforms

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's not that the orange jersey is "cursed" (if you believe in such things), they just had the misfortune of making it to the Super Bowl 3 times during an era where the NFC was ridiculously dominant.  That's the era I grew up in (Bears/Pats was the first Super Bowl I can remember) and it was bad.  The games (with the exception of wide right and maybe one of the 49er/Bengals games) were so imbalanced they were unwatchable.

The Broncos in orange didn't ascend to curse status until the loss to the Seahawks. Denver was the home team and still wore orange, whereas two years later they opted for white as the home team. You could write off previous orange losses as the AFC sucking ass for over a decade, even with the biggest loss in Super Bowl history, but when you add in achieving something similar in an era full of contenders for Greatest Super Bowl Ever! then you got a curse*

A far less storied, and far less interesting jersey curse is the two-game run of gray jerseys for Arkansas State football in 2013. The gray jerseys were ordered by 2012 head coach Gus Malzahn but never worn before he left for Auburn for the 2013 season. It just so happened that Arkansas State was playing at Auburn in 2013, so it was decided that the Red Wolves would wear those gray jerseys Malzahn ordered. Only problem is that they're the kind of gray that's really dark, so Arkansas State got penalties for wearing them against Auburn's navy blue. Obviously Arkansas State lost, and then later lost when wearing them at home against the Ragin Cajuns.

Normally I wouldn't consider two losses in a season where a team lost five games to be cursed, and I still don't. But enough of the fanbase complained about the gray jerseys that when the new head coach for 2014 was introduced (Bryan Harsin ran off to Boise after one year), the AD jokingly told him to avoid wearing gray jerseys.

fhhYgWF.jpg

*Not that I believe in such things.

23 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Phillies-all-maroon.jpg

One game, one loss, goodbye.

(Fortunately.)

That's a good colorization job, managing to touch upon the batter's eye, outfield wall, and the background player. The artist even managed to capture the dissonance between the uniform and undershirt shades of maroon.

Their retirement was fortunate.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, insert name said:

How long before they realize it's not a postseason good luck charm?

Image result for indians game 7 1997Image result for indians game 7

You could also argue that Wahoo was a "bad luck charm," given the team's relative lack of success with him their identity (especially the 1951-2018 version). 

Also, were Joe Robbie Stadium's dugouts the only ones in the majors to use tile walls?

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Mike Schmidt is thinking, "Why am I wearing pajamas on the baseball diamond?!"

This reminds me of the proposed 1970s Yankees road uniforms, which would have been a color reversal of their homes (so white pinstripes on navy blue pants and jerseys). Not sure if any pics were ever leaked, but they were canned because they were said to look like pajamas.

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

This reminds me of the proposed 1970s Yankees road uniforms, which would have been a color reversal of their homes (so white pinstripes on navy blue pants and jerseys). Not sure if any pics were ever leaked, but they were canned because they were said to look like pajamas.

I think that Yankees uniform would have looked fine.  Navy pinstriped suits are classic, and I think it woudl transfer well to the diamond.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Thanks go to Marty Appel for making Gabe Paul understand what a terrible mistake such a uniform would have been.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

I think that Yankees uniform would have looked fine.  Navy pinstriped suits are classic, and I think it woudl transfer well to the diamond.

I would have been fine with them, frankly. Just do a color reversal in Photoshop on the Yanks home uniforms and that's what they'd look like. It's probably just because it was such a radical move for the time that they weren't actually used. I mean, look at the uproar when the D'backs darkened their roads. Had the Yanks tried this in the 80s during the powder blue fad, it might have actually taken the field.

15 minutes ago, Quillz said:

There's a pic around here somewhere in these boards. At least I'm pretty sure I've seen one. Paul Lukas (the real one, not the user on here) did an article about them in 2010 that had a mockup Photoshopped onto Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

8 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

There's a pic around here somewhere in these boards. At least I'm pretty sure I've seen one. Paul Lukas (the real one, not the user on here) did an article about them in 2010 that had a mockup Photoshopped onto Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

pg2_09302010ab_576.jpg

On 10/21/2018 at 10:05 PM, Bmac said:

I don't recall the exact details but there was something about Nebraska football being cursed when wearing white pants on the road.

Husker fans call it the "Surrender Whites".

Traditionally Nebraska has worn red pants with the road uniform since the mid-1960s.

During Tom Osborne's entire career, they wore all-white uniforms only four times, once for the 1991 Citrus Bowl against Georgia Tech (tied for most points an Osborne-coached team allowed in a game), and then they experimented with the look again during the 1992 season, wearing them three times, losing twice. The third one is the most ignominious, as it came against an Iowa State team that finished 4-7. It was arguably the worst team Osborne ever lost to in his entire career. Two weeks later against Oklahoma, the red pants came back and the Huskers won 33-9.

If you ever have a conversation with a Nebraska fan about all-white uniforms, this game will almost inevitably come up.

DWpZOmVVAAAEwX6.jpg

Nebraska didn't wear the combination again during Osborne's career.... and you could say the next few years went okay.

Then in 2002 this happened:

2rynkt1.jpg

This was the 7-7 season which is the one that broke the 9+ win streak and was the really the most tangible evidence that the program was in decline. So these were scapegoated heavily and thrown onto the trash heap. In 2003 they reverted back to the "normal" uniform and went 10-3.

Then during the god-awful Bill Callahan area and various times afterward, Nebraska started doing it again. Another shameful episode was the last game of the 2007 season when they gave up 65 points to Colorado, which ended up being Callahan's pink slip. They also tried it a few times in the Riley era, most recently in the Music City Bowl a couple of years ago where they were hammered by Tennessee (who wore god-awful monochrome gray outfits).

I believe Nebraska's overall record in the "traditional" all-white uniform (counting 2002 but not the alternates) is something like 4-13 overall since the red pants were first introduced in the 60s. So Nebraska's poor overall record in those (as well as a couple of infamously embarrassing performances in them) has contributed to this culture.

Many will also say monochrome red is cursed. It was only done one time, against Oklahoma in 1986, and the result was a blown 4th quarter lead when Oklahoma scored twice in the last 90 seconds. They never did this again:

All%20Red.jpg2.jpg?height=400&width=329

Since Nebraska has more or less sucked the last 15 years after being elite for a generation, along with the recent tradition of adding a (usually terrible) alternate uniform, a lot of that talk has kind of subsided a bit. One could argue that this abomination was successful since they actually won (and to date it is our only win over Wisconsin since joining the Big 10).

Eric+Martin+Wisconsin+v+Nebraska+NSH2JI0

7 hours ago, Down Under Husker said:

Husker fans call it the "Surrender Whites".

Traditionally Nebraska has worn red pants with the road uniform since the mid-1960s.

During Tom Osborne's entire career, they wore all-white uniforms only four times, once for the 1991 Citrus Bowl against Georgia Tech (tied for most points an Osborne-coached team allowed in a game), and then they experimented with the look again during the 1992 season, wearing them three times, losing twice. The third one is the most ignominious, as it came against an Iowa State team that finished 4-7. It was arguably the worst team Osborne ever lost to in his entire career. Two weeks later against Oklahoma, the red pants came back and the Huskers won 33-9.

If you ever have a conversation with a Nebraska fan about all-white uniforms, this game will almost inevitably come up.

DWpZOmVVAAAEwX6.jpg

Nebraska didn't wear the combination again during Osborne's career.... and you could say the next few years went okay.

Then in 2002 this happened:

2rynkt1.jpg

This was the 7-7 season which is the one that broke the 9+ win streak and was the really the most tangible evidence that the program was in decline. So these were scapegoated heavily and thrown onto the trash heap. In 2003 they reverted back to the "normal" uniform and went 10-3.

Then during the god-awful Bill Callahan area and various times afterward, Nebraska started doing it again. Another shameful episode was the last game of the 2007 season when they gave up 65 points to Colorado, which ended up being Callahan's pink slip. They also tried it a few times in the Riley era, most recently in the Music City Bowl a couple of years ago where they were hammered by Tennessee (who wore god-awful monochrome gray outfits).

I believe Nebraska's overall record in the "traditional" all-white uniform (not counting 2002 or the alternates) is something like 4-13 overall since the red pants were first introduced in the 60s. So Nebraska's poor overall record in those (as well as a couple of infamously embarrassing performances in them) has contributed to this culture.

Many will also say monochrome red is cursed. It was only done one time, against Oklahoma in 1986, and the result was a blown 4th quarter lead when Oklahoma scored twice in the last 90 seconds. They never did this again:

All%20Red.jpg2.jpg?height=400&width=329

Since Nebraska has more or less sucked the last 15 years after being elite for a generation, along with the recent tradition of adding a (usually terrible) alternate uniform, a lot of that talk has kind of subsided a bit. One could argue that this abomination was successful since they actually won (and to date it is our only win over Wisconsin since joining the Big 10).

Eric+Martin+Wisconsin+v+Nebraska+NSH2JI0

I love uniform history like this. Really fascinating stuff. I honestly never knew about the “Surrender Whites”.

This is a really great thread!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

One more bit of useless trivia about Nebraska.... one of the few wins in all-white was a game at Fresno State a few years back, in which Nebraska chose the combo in part to distinguish itself from Fresno who were in monochrome red.

So I suppose when there's actually a practical reason behind it, then maybe it has less of an effect :)

54153273746d4.image.jpg

Archived