Unique Team Names?

I don’t know if there’s been a thread like this already but watching game 1 of the World Series between the Dodgers and Red Sox two famously uniquely named teams, got me thinkin, what other odd names are there. Besides the obvious professional  teams, i can think of Ohio State Buckeyes or even back when the Red Sox were the Beaneaters. What other oddly/uniquely named teams are there?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the Big Ten—Golden Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Illini, Buckeyes, Wolverines, Cornhuskers, Nittany Lions, Terrapins, Scarlet Knights. The least unique nicknames in the conference are the Spartans and Wildcats. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I don’t know if there’s been a thread like this already but watching game 1 of the World Series between the Dodgers and Red Sox two famously uniquely named teams, got me thinkin, what other odd names are there. Besides the obvious professional  teams, i can think of Ohio State Buckeyes or even back when the Red Sox were the Beaneaters. What other oddly/uniquely named teams are there?

Funnily enough, the original Red Stockings name was derived from the Cincinnati Red Stockings, so back in the day, it wasn’t a particularly unique nickname. 

14 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Top of my head....

Normal Cornbelters (collegiate league)

Muskingum Fighting Muskies (NCAA)

Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops (NCAA)

Muskies and bishops are underrated as names.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Capital City Go-Go, the Washington Wizards' G-League team

Another D-League team was the Delaware 87ers, and the Tulsa 66ers...and the Colorado 14ers, they wore out that concept jesus

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I have my own Google spreadsheet that I use to keep track of every US collegiate team regarding what conferences they're in, logo changes, news, etc.  On my count there's 382 unique collegiate nicknames across all levels, 87 in NCAA Division I alone out of 353.  However the list can be debatable considering, for example, there's a ton of Bearcats but only one Bearkats (Sam Houston State), or there's a ton of Bears but only one uses Sugar Bears for their women's teams (Central Arkansas).

7 minutes ago, Earl said:

I have my own Google spreadsheet that I use to keep track of every US collegiate team regarding what conferences they're in, logo changes, news, etc.  On my count there's 382 unique collegiate nicknames across all levels, 87 in NCAA Division I alone.  However the list can be debatable considering, for example, there's a ton of Bearcats but only one Bearkats (Sam Houston State), or there's a ton of Bears but only one uses Sugar Bears for their women's teams (Central Arkansas).

Any chance you could slide me a link? That sounds awesome! I’d love to see it!

3YCQJRO.png

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The worst team name in major professional sports. The Avalanche are the Avs. The Lightning are the Bolts. The Wild is just too "wild" and bizarre to be a team name. 

The word in and of itself is bizarre because people can’t figure out if it’s one syllable or two. Most people would presume it’s one syllable, but because of the tripthong vowel that begins the word, many people intrude a schwa sound before the L thereby creating a second syllable. 

Wild fans do the cheer Let’s-go-Wi-uld, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap when I would have expected them instead to do the cheer Let’s-go-Wild, Let’s-go-Wild. Heaven forbid Minnesota starts to borrow the Jets cheer: W-I-L-D, Wild-Wild-Wild.

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I may be overlooking someone but I believe that the Padres are the only active team in the big four with a name that's not an English word.

Does etymology count?  If so, the Broncos may also qualify.

From Wiki --

Etymology[edit]

The term comes from the Spanish language word bronco, meaning "rough", which in Mexican usage also describes a horse.[1] It was then borrowed and adapted in US cowboy lingo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Excluding minor league names created by slapping on a noun as a prefix (River____s, Ice____s, Sun___s) or by trying to be as bizarre as possible (Rumble Ponies, Baby Cakes), colleges and high schools seem to be the best source for unique names.

North Carolina Tar Heels

Georgetown Hoyas

Virginia Tech Hokies

McDaniel Green Terror
Boiling Springs Bubblers (PA high school)

Delaware Blue Hens

Oklahoma Sooners

Sparrows Point Pointers (MD high school)

Bangor Slaters (PA high school)

Northampton Konkrete Kids (PA high school)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived