Unique Team Names?

13 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I don’t know if there’s been a thread like this already but watching game 1 of the World Series between the Dodgers and Red Sox two famously uniquely named teams, got me thinkin, what other odd names are there. Besides the obvious professional  teams, i can think of Ohio State Buckeyes or even back when the Red Sox were the Beaneaters. What other oddly/uniquely named teams are there?

The Buckeyes are unique now I believe, but Cleveland did have a Negro league team called the Buckeyes. I do love that the Big Ten is filled with a lot of unique monikers that relate directly to their respective states, Spartans and Wildcats notwithstanding. It'd be a bummer to be called the Tigers in the SEC with two other Tigers IN THE CONFERENCE.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

It'd be a bummer to be called the Tigers in the SEC with two other Tigers IN THE CONFERENCE.

. . . and two Bulldogs.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 hours ago, johnnysama said:

The Minnesota Wild is one I can think of

And proof that "unique" does not always mean "good."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/24/2018 at 4:53 AM, Ray Lankford said:

I may be overlooking someone but I believe that the Padres are the only active team in the big four with a name that's not an English word.

Within those parameters ("active team"; "big four"), that is true. 

There were various minor league teams in the affilliated and independent minors that had the name El Paso Diablos.  And of course there are the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL.

The MASL has had a few teams whose names are not English words.  Some of them were based in Mexico, such as los Soles de Sonora (called "Sonora Suns" in English).  But at least one of them was in the U.S.: Hidalgo La Feria.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I would say that just because San Diego is spanish isn’t what makes it unique, there’s several teams, called diablos leones, Aguilas, close to the Mexico border, padres unless an affiliate, is definitely one of a kind, even outside the permanent spanish moniker

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Padre is basically a borrowed word, too. I think 83% of people or more know what it means, and I feel like it's not uncommon for it to show up in pop culture outside of actual Spanish or Italian dialogue.

The short lived UFL had some unique names

• California Redwoods
  • Florida Tuskers
  • Las Vegas Locomotives
  • Omaha Nighthawks

There's a high school here in DC called the Cardozo Clerks. As well as a school in Baltimore called the Dunbar Poets.

Old arena league team the Los Angeles Avengers.

The WNBA is practically all unique names

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

• California Redwoods
  • Florida Tuskers
  • Las Vegas Locomotives
  • Omaha Nighthawks

There's a high school here in DC called the Cardozo Clerks. As well as a school in Baltimore called the Dunbar Poets.

Locomotives isn’t incredible all that unique, I feel like train related teams are pretty common too, and Nighthawks is just a play on hawks. I really like the Redwoods, though I’m surprised more teams haven’t used it. Also poets sounds like one of those mlb teams that lasted two years in 1895 or something

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

• California Redwoods
  • Florida Tuskers
  • Las Vegas Locomotives
  • Omaha Nighthawks

UFL had Hartford Colonials and NY Sentinels too.  Sentinels was a solid name.

Avengers was a solid name too...

4 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

Mighty Oregon Fighting Ducks

This reminds me of the Arena Football League's Minnesota Fighting Pike.

Which further reminds me of other Arena League teams that had wildlife-related names that are probably not going to be found anywhere else: San Jose SaberCats, Houston ThunderBears, and my beloved New York CityHawks.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Going back to the UFL. When they had a naming contest for the team that ultimately became the Virginia Destroyers, the first runner up was Tritons. A Triton is pretty much a warrior merman from Greek mythology. Imagine if Ariel's father in the Little Mermaid wasn't a G rated Disney character lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Roller Hockey International had some pretty unique names

Calgary Rad'z
Connecticut Coasters  
Sacramento River Rats
Oakland Skates
Portland Rage
Toronto Planets 
Utah Rollerbees 
Las Vegas Flash 
Atlanta Fire Ants
Edmonton Sled Dogs