BellaSpurs

Unique Team Names?

Just remembered a good one from the old NFL Europe days. The Scottish Claymores.

Macon Whoopee was definitely different.  We have the Lansing Lugnuts near by.  Minor league baseball is full of them.  I thing the Packers is rather unique on a professional level and Hokies is different in the college ranks.

A lot of these "country names" don't make sense to me, which sucks because they have cool colors.  I'd like to see some more team branding for us city people! 

The short lived Kronum League had some unique ones:

Urban Legends

Jet Sets

Nimble Jacks

“Wheeling Nailers” was always a classic.

Our high school, the Cairo Syrupmakers. For decades, the largest factory in our city was Roddenberry Foods. Their two main products were pickles and syrup, hence the name Syrupmakers. We were actually named the most unique mascot name among Georgia high schools by ESPN.

Tville3.jpg.7ccc8fa305f1ac6c4ea69f14a2a0f3ef.jpg21150449_508276289511818_4577710376197928392_n.jpg.203844cd4ddcbf4118c4be82997f7fe1.jpg

Vancouver VooDoo

Memphis Mad Dogs

Birmingham Barracudas 

Las Vegas Posse

Sacramento Gold Miners

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Whitecaps

Portland Timbers

Seattle Sounders

New England Revolution

Columbus Crew

1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Minnesota Twins is the only sibling based name I can think of

The Evansville Triplets were the Tigers' AAA affiliates. I think they had previously been affiliates of the Twins, as well.

I always enjoyed the Macon Whoopee. The play on words is clever and rather amusing for the old days of The Sims 2 & 3 computer games.

23 hours ago, Wandell said:

Our high school, the Cairo Syrupmakers. For decades, the largest factory in our city was Roddenberry Foods. Their two main products were pickles and syrup, hence the name Syrupmakers. We were actually named the most unique mascot name among Georgia high schools by ESPN.

Just be thankful you weren't the Picklers LOL, although there could be some hilarious logos for that.  

23 hours ago, Wandell said:

Tville3.jpg.7ccc8fa305f1ac6c4ea69f14a2a0f3ef.jpg21150449_508276289511818_4577710376197928392_n.jpg.203844cd4ddcbf4118c4be82997f7fe1.jpg

That’s amazing, that’s how you do a unique name, not this adjective followed by something generic (ie; cityhawks, Seahawks, Baybears) and it’s so locally connected, 10/10 goodjob to your Highschool 

My Highschool are the Defenders, named after the Fort located in Lexington; Bryan Station, who defended against the “Indians” that was even the name of the middle school, until they deemed Indians was inappropriate and just ripped off Cincinnati Bearcats

On 10/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Evansville Triplets were the Tigers' AAA affiliates. I think they had previously been affiliates of the Twins, as well.

It's too bad there wasn't a single-A team named The Only Childs. 

My high school's mascot was a beacon... People would often chant at us, "What's. A. Beacon?"

Of course it's a lighthouse...

Well, technically. A lighthouse is the structure in which the beacon (a light, in this case) is found.