Unique Team Names?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four pages in and no mention of the Omaha Beef???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

My high school's mascot was a beacon... People would often chant at us, "What's. A. Beacon?"

Of course it's a lighthouse...

Eugene, OR Christian college NCU is the Beacons. They don't use lighthouse imagery though. Colors are blue and yellow. 

3 hours ago, BigDmo said:

Eugene, OR Christian college NCU is the Beacons. They don't use lighthouse imagery though. Colors are blue and yellow. 

My high school was a Christian school too. We used the lighthouse in a lot of brand stuff but not really Athletics. It was mostly an interlocking CA. Our colors were green and white... with sometimes black...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 10/28/2018 at 4:55 AM, AndrewMLind said:

Played against a team called the Whippets during my high school football days. 

Was it Downingtown (now known as Downingtown West) PA by any chance?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/3/2018 at 3:38 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Green Wave.  Have they ever played the Crimson Tide? haha

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

People seem to forget that Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Sewanee were charter members of the SEC, along with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Vandy. Sewanee left in the 40s, but Tulane and Tech stuck around until the mid-60s.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

12 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like Tennessee's orange, but Volunteers? ?

Okay, so...several people know this, some don't, even in the state of Tennessee. (I know this because I live here and it trips me out...)

The short version is that the nickname "Volunteers" came from the overwhelming response of Tennessee military service members who, well, "volunteered" their efforts to both the battle of the Alamo, led by Davy Crockett, and later, in much greater number, to the Mexican War (aka the battle for Texas independence, where the famous saying "Remember the Alamo" originated), led by Sam Houston. That's where the "Tennessee Volunteers" nickname stuck. 

While we're here, the orange and white colors originate from the color of the flowers that used to grow on what UT calls "The Hill" on campus, this way back in the 1890s or so--back then that's where the campus was primarily based.

I only know this because I looked it up shortly after moving here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On 11/6/2018 at 4:52 AM, Mingjai said:

People seem to forget that Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Sewanee were charter members of the SEC, along with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Vandy. Sewanee left in the 40s, but Tulane and Tech stuck around until the mid-60s.

Georgia Tech has more SEC championships than UK sadly

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Of the old traditional teams some of them are bizarrely named, only it doesn't seem that way to us because they've always been there as part of the old guard. I mean Red Sox/White Sox is pretty odd.

Packers

Even something like Trojans. If you had a college program starting now they wouldn't consider Trojans as most would associate the name with condoms

My old High School has what I think is a unique name - The Norwalk Truckers. They chose the name Truckers because trucking was the biggest industry in town at the time. It might be my all time favorite team name. At least top five for sure. Not the greatest logo, but you get the idea...

oFFDseY.jpg  BybD4NX.png

n7gLoZ8.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

My old High School has what I think is a unique name - The Norwalk Truckers. They chose the name Truckers because trucking was the biggest industry in town at the time. It might be my all time favorite team name. At least top five for sure. Not the greatest logo, but you get the idea...

oFFDseY.jpg  BybD4NX.png

n7gLoZ8.jpg

I never knew I needed this until now.

29 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Syracuse Orange. how many teams have a color as the name instead of an adjective? mean green? I wish there was a team called Black.

There's also the Stanford Cardinal, and Harvard Crimson. So unless there's another somewhere we don't know about, there may be only three teams named for a single color.

As for [singular nickname], right off the top of my head:

Alabama Crimson Tide

Tulane Green Wave

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (!)

St. John's Red Storm

Cornell Big Red (which I suppose may fit into that first category up above)

Officially, (I believe) North Texas' athletic nickname is "Eagles"...but by and large they are the "Mean Green" to all of us. 

(Now I'm thinking there needs to be a team somewhere nicknamed the "Gold Rush"...lol)

Archived