Unique Team Names?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massachusetts is home to some high schools with unique - or, at the very least, fairly unusual - names for their athletics teams.

Arlington High School Spy Ponders
Ashland High School Clockers
Bourne High School Canalmen
Braintree High School Wamps
Gloucester High School Fishermen
Haverhill High School Hillies
Hopkinton High School Hillers
Maimonides School M-Cats
Martha's Vineyard High School Vineyarders
Millbury High School Woolies
Peabody Veterans Memorial High School Tanners
Rising Tide Charter Public School Herons
St. Peter-Marian Junior-Senior High School Guardians
Sizer School White Tigers

Meanwhile, neighboring Rhode Island plays host to the following schools and names.

Classical High School Purple
Cranston East High School Thunderbolts
Coventry High School Oakers
East Greenwich High School Avengers
Mt. Pleasant High School Kilties
Woonsocket High School Villa Novans

• 3 months later...

Teams that compete in the various Group competition of the NSW Country Rugby League competition have some unique nicknames:

Thirroul Butchers

spacer.png

Kyogle Turkeys

spacer.png

Western Suburbs Rosellas (Newcastle)

spacer.png

Aberglasslyn Ants

spacer.png

Scone Thoroughbreds
Orara Valley Axemen

Grafton Ghosts

Junee Diesels

Crookwell Green Devils

Yenda Blueheelers
Parkes Spacemen

Menindee Yabbies

Jamberoo Superoos

Warilla-Lake South Gorillas

On 11/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, infrared41 said:

My old High School has what I think is a unique name - The Norwalk Truckers. They chose the name Truckers because trucking was the biggest industry in town at the time. It might be my all time favorite team name. At least top five for sure. Not the greatest logo, but you get the idea...

oFFDseY.jpg  BybD4NX.png

n7gLoZ8.jpg

And here I always thought the only high school with this name was in Clintonville, Wisconsin.
spacer.png

Also in Wisconsin are the only two schools with the nickname of "Purgolders" ...Milwaukee Washington and Madison East.  The name is a reference to their purple and gold colors, and both borrow heavily from LSU.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

And here I always thought the only high school with this name was in Clintonville, Wisconsin.

Our high school has used the Truckers name since 1946. I'm guessing we were first. B)

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Our high school has used the Truckers name since 1946. I'm guessing we were first. B)

I’m only half kidding, but Norwalk should update its logo to Bob Motz’s truck shooting out flames and burning down the Night Under Fire billboard.

Appropriately enough, though, the two Purgolders use different mascots: Washington's is a husky (take a wild guess why) while East uses a puma.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

17 hours ago, NicDB said:

Also in Wisconsin are the only two schools with the nickname of "Purgolders" ...Milwaukee Washington and Madison East.  The name is a reference to their purple and gold colors, and both borrow heavily from LSU.

That's really interesting. And kinda clunky. 

I want to see the Michigan influenced team, the Blaize. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I'd call this pretty unique.

Related image

He's a lumberjack and he's okay...

In all seriousness, the Cal-Irvine Anteaters. Bonus points for the fact that their logo vaguely looks like an anteater (at least to me) despite being just interlocking letters.

On 11/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, infrared41 said:

My old High School has what I think is a unique name - The Norwalk Truckers. They chose the name Truckers because trucking was the biggest industry in town at the time. It might be my all time favorite team name. At least top five for sure. Not the greatest logo, but you get the idea...

oFFDseY.jpg  BybD4NX.png

n7gLoZ8.jpg

I live in Ohio and had no clue that Norwalk was known by that. I was reading an article online and I saw that logo in the background of the picture that was taken and thought "I've seen that logo somewhere before, but where?" Now I know!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Archived