infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 7

infrared41

Apologies for running a little late this week. Let's get started. The competition for the top spot on the best list felt like it was the toughest of the season so far. Three really great looking games. I had a tough time deciding which one I liked best. On the other side of the ledger, week 7 may have provided us with some of the ugliest games of the year. I had a bit of a tough time deciding which one was the ugliest. Point being, I think I'm going to get more than the usual amount of disagreement with my choices. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may differ from mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. And with that, let's play our game.

BEST:

1. Dallas - Washington: Full disclosure, this week, I liked the top three games equally. Regular readers know that I don't have any sort of "formula" for how I pick the games for the lists each week. But I do have a couple "all things being equal" tiebreakers that occasionally come into play. I might use how I like the colors together, or how sunshine made the game look, too much of one color, etc., and that was the case this week. So what was the difference that put this one at #1? The colors. I liked the contrast. It was enough to (barely) push this game into the top spot. Great looking game. 

AbaNiZS.jpg

2. Giants - Falcons: I'm not as big of a fan of this particular Falcons throwback as a lot of people are, (I prefer the red helmet version) but it's still a very nice uniform and a whole lot better than Atlanta's current set. Throw in the classic Giants road uniforms and we have ourselves a great looking match up. The sooner the Falcons go back the one of their throwbacks (preferably the one with the red helmet) the better. Every game should look this good. 

Sidenote: I had a helluva time finding pictures that did a good job of showing both uniforms. These were the best I could come up with. 

W20alPe.jpgmrr9X6T.jpg

3. Bills - Colts: You know the competition is rough when this great match up comes in third. "All things being equal", the amount of blue moved this game to the #3 slot. Still a great looking game. It would take the top spot in pretty much any other week.

R92XC8R.jpg

Honorable Mention: Patriots - Bears: The Bears home uniform is more than good enough to drag a mediocre uniform like the Pats road set into at least an honorable mention. 

bLKDncV.jpg

WORST:

1. Bengals - Chiefs: What happens when a construction zone is attacked by a bunch of ketchup bottles? This. Whole bunch of ugly in this one. The Chiefs have to be at the top of the list of "teams that should never do primary color monochrome. 

qPjnIHX.jpg

2. Broncos - Cardinals: Two awful uniforms. What else needs to be said? 

AABFXZr.jpg

3. Browns - Buccaneers: I really like the colors in this game, but the uniforms are just too :censored:-all stupid looking to save it. The Browns should go back to their traditional look using the current colors and the Bucs should go back to any set they wore before the current one. 10 years ago, this game is in the running for the top spot on the best list.

voI9xtr.jpg

4. Saints - Ravens: Someone needs to break into the Saints facility, grab every pair of those awful black pants, and use them to start a big bonfire in the SuperDome parking lot. Someone else needs to break into the Ravens facility, grab every pair of both the black and the purple pants, hop in the car, drive to New Orleans, and throw the pants into the SuperDome bonfire.

QMFQVHs.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree on Ravens pants. The purple is fine with the white and black jerseys, just not the purple. The Saints pants def need to be burned

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great list. When I saw the Cowboys in blue I thought that game needs to be way up. They look so much better in blue, sucks that they stick with white so often.

Also disagree with the purple pants so long as they are not going monochrome.

I usually come to the defense of the Bengals, but they were matched up with an awful uniform combo. Put the Chiefs in their usual duds and it's a great looking game IMO.

The Falcons deep black looks really good and actually makes me feel like the pants don't really work in that set. I'm a modern Falcons apologist as well, but I can't pretend that ain't a good lookin' game.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Really surprised that the Broncos at Cardinals game didn't make the worst.

It did. It was supposed to be in the #2 slot.  I had the picture ready to go, but I forgot to post it. Thanks for reminding me. 

BB52Big.jpg

That game would look so much better if the Lions had white in their uniform, and the Dolphins had their aqua pants on.  Mostly the Lions though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

57 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Where would you have ranked the Vikings-Jets game if say, the Jets had White pants to go with the Kelly Green Uni?

Can't say where it would have landed without seeing it, but I'm guessing it probably would have made the best list somewhere. I'm a big fan of the Jets uniforms - as long as they stay away from the green monochrome. 

BB52Big.jpg

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That game would look so much better if the Lions had white in their uniform, and the Dolphins had their aqua pants on.  Mostly the Lions though.

Totally agree on the Lions but I really like the Dolphins all-white look for day games at home. The minor update they went with made an incredible difference. I just can't believe they kept the ridiculous Miami tramp stamp, I really can't believe someone somewhere thinks it looks any good.

40 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Great ranking as always but Patriots - Bears over Lions - Dolphins? Bright colors matchup in sunny South Florida weather with the Phins looking really good in their new duds against the best Lions combo.

95bc5594-b028-43a3-8d02-1a283f51108b-AP_

If it were just about colors and sunshine, the Browns - Bucs game would have made the best list. There's more to it than just colors. The uniforms have to be good too. I'm sorry, but that Dolphins uniform is plain old boring. As I've said a bunch of times, the Dolphins uniform isn't good enough to make the best list, but it's not bad enough to make the worst list. It's a perfectly boring uniform. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

3. Browns - Buccaneers: I really like the colors in this game, but the uniforms are just too :censored:-all stupid looking to save it. The Browns should go back to their traditional look using the current colors and the Bucs should go back to any set they wore before the current one. 10 years ago, this game is in the running for the top spot on the best list.

voI9xtr.jpg

I hear you with this one. 

2002:

Image result for Cleveland at Tampa Bay 2002

Cowboys always look fantastic when the go with the blue jersey, couple that with the classic Skins look (so happy we have seen the gold pants this year) and that's definitely the best matchup.

Bills-Colts was great too. Not as big of a fan of the ATL-NYG matchup. Love Atlanta's set but the lack of blue in the Giants jerseys always bugged me, even if it's nice in a vacuum, prefer the color rushes.

Also agree with Bring Back the Vet on the Ravens purple pants. But even this look I'll allow as a one-off because they wore contrasting socks. Their black leggings definitely belong in the bonfire with the Saints black leggings though.

I’d probably put Lions/Dolphins ahead of Bills/Colts, only because if I have to nitpick in order to break the tie (and I do), I’m in the camp of facemasks-should-be-a-team-color. And goodness, does that Honolulu Blue make me wish the Lions could be an outdoor team. Just gorgeous in the afternoon sunlight.  

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 10/24/2018 at 3:23 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Disagree on Ravens pants. The purple is fine with the white and black jerseys, just not the purple. The Saints pants def need to be burned

The Ravens' all purple (and all-black) are two of the better monochrome looks in the NFL. That said? First of all, the black pants need to take a cue from the purple pants and get stripes. Second, purple needs to be paired with white or black first and black needs to be paired with purple or white. But that's just my 2¢.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

10 hours ago, Chawls said:

I’d probably put Lions/Dolphins ahead of Bills/Colts, only because if I have to nitpick in order to break the tie (and I do), I’m in the camp of facemasks-should-be-a-team-color. And goodness, does that Honolulu Blue make me wish the Lions could be an outdoor team. Just gorgeous in the afternoon sunlight.  

I'm a Lions season ticket holder and I agree with you on the Honolulu Blue in the sunlight, it looks so much better in the sun than inside. I can't complain though because come November, you can call me a wuss all you want, I am glad as hell that there is a roof on Ford Field. I like tailgating in the elements, then warming up during the game. I do wish they had a retractable roof for the September/October games, or just a glass roof like Minnesota.

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

WORST:

QMFQVHs.jpg

INFRARED . .  While I and all the others very much enjoy reading your weekly column, I think it's safe to say that you're about the only one who doesn't like Baltimore's purple pants.  Myself, I absolutely love them and reading so many of the others posts they too seem to all feel the same way.  Now if you wanna burn something, the Ravens Deli Mustard pants from last seasons singular game would be the ones, also with the black stripeless pants of the Saints and Ravens.  While you're add it with your bonfire please throw Green Bay's throwback set in there, they're just awful.  I did like the one with the circular jersey numbers from those blue jerseys w/ khaki pants when they were allowed to wear that brown helmet w/ gray facemask.

Power to the purple pants!!   I for one think they're totally awesome and am only sorry that it took them twenty two years for them to be introduced. If only the Vikings had some nice white stripped socks for their purple pants they too would have a hit.

3 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

INFRARED . .  While I and all the others very much enjoy reading your weekly column, I think it's safe to say that you're about the only one who doesn't like Baltimore's purple pants.

Then I'll stand here by myself and not like Baltimore's purple pants. They're ugly. Period.

It's not the first time I've been on the unpopular side of a uniform debate and it won't be the last. B)

BB52Big.jpg

On 10/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, infrared41 said:

2. Giants - Falcons: I'm not as big of a fan of this particular Falcons throwback as a lot of people are, (I prefer the red helmet version) but it's still a very nice uniform and a whole lot better than Atlanta's current set. Throw in the classic Giants road uniforms and we have ourselves a great looking match up. The sooner the Falcons go back the one of their throwbacks (preferably the one with the red helmet) the better. Every game should look this good. 

Sidenote: I had a helluva time finding pictures that did a good job of showing both uniforms. These were the best I could come up with. 

W20alPe.jpgmrr9X6T.jpg

Geez the new Madden looks nice this year eh? 

zyyMk1d.png

Archived