Different Teams, Same Elements

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Is it just me or do the Raiders, Redskins and Chiefs use extremely similar fonts for their wordmarks?

950.png

1062.png

856.gif

Similar? Yes. 

The same? No. 

To someone casually glancing at them, they could was be mistaken for the same font, but there are many small differences

On 10/26/2018 at 12:57 PM, CS85 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12724/the-uni-watch-history-of-the-wishbone-c

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/13132/more-uni-watch-wishbone-c-history

Apparently the wishbone C started with Carroll University in Wisconsin. 

The Bears only started using the wishbone C in the 60s as an homage to the Cubs (as is their name and for a long time they shared Wrigley Field).  I believe their C was modified at some point to prevent a lawsuit, in typical Halas fashion.

As much as the Wisconsin partisan in me would love to yank that from Chicago, I always thought the U of Chicago created it.

Carroll started using it in the 1910s, well after the University of Chicago.  

The Chicago Cardinals were using a Wishbone C in the 1920s, along with a smaller second “c”.   They undoubtedly got it from Chicago.   

ArizonaCardinals1921.jpg

Whether Halas remembered his crosstown rivals when it came time for a Bears logo, or whether he borrowed it from the school, I’m not sure we know. 

5 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

This might be a stretch but:

960.gif377.gif594153172016.gif

All three came out within five years of one another and all three were created because the helmet logo doesn't really work off of the helmet.

I think the thread is about items that are very similar. 

Also, I always thought the helmet elements of these teams and say Michigan wouldn't be thought of as logos at all.  There are helmets where a logo is slapped on and there are teams that have a stand alone helmet design.  Obviously the Rams did try to use a stand alone ram horn as a logo of sorts in the past

but still most teams don't design a helmet and then pull the elements off into a logo but the other way around.  The Eagles previously had an Eagle as a logo previous to this one for instance.

Archived