Zeus89725

Different Teams, Same Elements

Recommended Posts

I bet there's a thread for this already, but I was inspired to make this after seeing that the old Avalanche jerseys and the Islanders' Fish Sticks jerseys used, for at least a short time, the same font on their alternate captain patches.

Image result for islanders alternate captain 1995

Image result for colorado avalanche alternate captain patch

(I know the Isles' patch looks taller, but that's because of the angle of the photo)

 

Do you have any other things two teams did at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

I bet there's a thread for this already, but I was inspired to make this after seeing that the old Avalanche jerseys and the Islanders' Fish Sticks jerseys used, for at least a short time, the same font on their alternate captain patches.

Image result for islanders alternate captain 1995

Image result for colorado avalanche alternate captain patch

(I know the Isles' patch looks taller, but that's because of the angle of the photo)

 

Do you have any other things two teams (In the same league, of course) did at the same time?

 

Those are very similar, but not quite the same.

 

1.  The extension of the crossbar(?) angles down on the Islanders A, but goes is straight/horizontal on the Avalanche A.

2.  There are serifs on the bottom of the Avalanche A.

3.  The right line on the Islanders A is straight (i.e., at a 90 degree angle to the top and bottom of the letter, while the right line on the Avalanche A is angled slightly to the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same league would be tough. The Reds and Twins use a VERY similar C logo, which also looks a lot like the Chicago Bears. 

 

reds.bears.twins.same.logos.jpg

 

Inter-league or across sports has a ton more examples. Georgia-Grambling-Packers comes to mind immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the Princeton-Michigan-Delaware football helmets count if we are going across sports?

 

I'm drawing a blank within leagues (unless you count things like Braisher stripes or the Ravens/Titans front helmet stripes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the McAuliffe font used by many many baseball teams be considered as a same element in different teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1973:

Braisher stripes on gold pants.

unitas+sd+laram+1973+pre+season.jpgmerlin_olsen_1973_10_14.jpg1973PACKERS-MediaGuideLarge.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

It's not uncommon in college basketball among smaller schools to see the same Nike template used by both schools

All the big adidas basketball teams do this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

unitas+sd+laram+1973+pre+season.jpg

 

That picture just looks so wrong.

 

And you forgot . . . august-27-1973-sports-illustrated-cover-

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

carl-hubbell.jpg

yfac62zbpoy8sezjurwq.jpg

 

The latter’s cap logo & wordmark font are an evolution of the same elements on the former.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iyvjvh0ozisnp3lelf6dhjcjt.png4600_ucla_bruins-alternate-0.png

 

Red Sox and UCLA using just about the same B? Maybe not popular at UCLA this week. (Can really stretch it if we throw in the Dodgers' B from the Brooklyn days, though I'm not sure that was ever exactly the same as Boston's.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 8:09 AM, pianoknight said:

Same league would be tough. The Reds and Twins use a VERY similar C logo, which also looks a lot like the Chicago Bears. 

 

reds.bears.twins.same.logos.jpg

 

Inter-league or across sports has a ton more examples. Georgia-Grambling-Packers comes to mind immediately. 

 

Anyone know why the wishbone-C was such a very popular design motif in the first half of the 20th Century? The Indians and Cubs used wishbone-C variants as well:

 

3978_cleveland_indians-cap-1933.png2541_chicago_cubs-cap-1930.png

 

Also, of these examples from the major pro leagues, I think the Bears are the only one with an asymmetrical logo--design mistake never corrected or intentional design element? Makes it easy to detect trademark or copyright infringement I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the wishbone C, as well!

fc-cap.png

 

(It's really a cap from the Rochester Red Wings, on which the FC stands for "Flower City".  But just as Bruce Kulick wore BK shirts; I wear this cap.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Also, of these examples from the major pro leagues, I think the Bears are the only one with an asymmetrical logo--design mistake never corrected or intentional design element? Makes it easy to detect trademark or copyright infringement I suppose.

 

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12724/the-uni-watch-history-of-the-wishbone-c

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/13132/more-uni-watch-wishbone-c-history

 

 

Apparently the wishbone C started with Carroll University in Wisconsin. 

 

The Bears only started using the wishbone C in the 60s as an homage to the Cubs (as is their name and for a long time they shared Wrigley Field).  I believe their C was modified at some point to prevent a lawsuit, in typical Halas fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to bug the craps out of me that the Devils and Senators wore basically identical socks as each other. An infinite number of ways a team could stripe a sock and these two did it the exact same. 

 

tommy-albelin-of-the-new-jersey-devils-cjohn-madden-of-the-new-jersey-devils-pok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

 

That picture just looks so wrong.

 

And you forgot . . . august-27-1973-sports-illustrated-cover-

 

 

I knew I was missing one.

 

But still, it's amazing how many teams hopped on the Braisher stripe bandwagon so quickly.

 

http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2011/02/braisher-stripes.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now