NCAA Power 5 teams that need updating/new logos by conference

So I’ve been thinking about what power 5 teams are in the most need of new logos, here is my list by conference:

ACC: Virginia Tech. The “VT” could use a modern update as to me it looks 80’s. Also gobbler could use a update and be a solid secondary logo.

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech. Ironically almost the same reasons, “GT” could be modernized and same with buzz.

Big 12: West Virginia. It’s almost a common theme here, but it’s still true here the “WV” could be touched up and also a true secondary logo would help.

Honorable mention: Kansas St. the power cat could use a update, also a front facing wildcat secondary logo maybe here?

Big Ten: Northwestern. The wildcat is WAY outdated and needs to be redone for sure.

Honorable mention: Minnesota. Goldy Gopher would not mind a refresh, also the “M” could be fixed up a little.

Pac 12: Washington St. it looks dated verry BADLY and they also lack a true secondary logo.

Honorable mention: Arizona. The “A” could benefit from a refresh. Also a modern for new wildcat secondary logo.

SEC: South Carolina. The gamecock is dated and the “C” could used is smoothing out.

Honorable mention: Ole Miss. If your going to distance yourself from Rebels, then pick a new name and mascot full time.

18 minutes ago, lilben777 said:

Pac 12: Washington St. it looks dated verry BADLY and they also lack a true  secondary logo.

The WSU logo is iconic locally and has been around since 1936, although originally it spelled WSC and not WSU. It’s untouchable in the eyes of Coug fans.

We do have a good secondary logo in the “Cougars” script but our athletic department chooses not to use it for some unknown reason. They need to bring it back or draft up a new secondary.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Washington State and West Virginia are all untouchable.

I’m also interested in hearing what “touched up,” “modernized” and “needs redone” mean to you, or if they’re just filler words because you can’t explain how they could actually be improved.

12 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

1741_southern_california_trojans-helmet-

The general concept, and even shape, are good but surely USC can do better than this. If nothing else, he's maroon. 

I think picking one Tommy Trojan would work. Don't they still use a second athletic logo besides this obe? Tossing the chrome facemasks would help the football team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Honorable mention: Minnesota. Goldy Gopher would not mind a refresh, also the “M” could be fixed up a little.

I don’t know what you mean by “refresh,” but I’d be a hard no on this one. Yes, the gopher does look like a hand drawn cartoon from the 60s, but I don’t consider that a bad thing. In fact, I consider it rather iconic. A refresh or modernization would kill a lot of the charm. 

10 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Washington State and West Virginia are all untouchable.

Are they really, though? I'm sure they could all undergo slight tweaks and most people wouldn't notice or care. Take Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Ohio State for example. All updated to better designs, but kept the same basic logo.

I don't think Minnesota and Virginia Tech's logos actually need updating, other than maybe going to single outlines, but I wouldn't call them "untouchable". I think West Virginia and Washington State could both use very minor tweaks, but they're also perfectly fine as is.

spacer.png

While I would personally agree that the recent, slight modification to Ohio State’s logo — which was solely simplifying the wordmark for printing and resizing purposes — was an upgrade, most fans wouldn’t agree. In fact, most viewed it unnecessary and as if the designers simply used the MSPaint fill tool to make the change. Not to mention, there’s a large section of the fanbase that prefers the simple Block O over the athletics logo. 

26 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Are they really, though? I'm sure they could all undergo slight tweaks and most people wouldn't notice or care. Take Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Ohio State for example. All updated to better designs, but kept the same basic logo.

I don't think Minnesota and Virginia Tech's logos actually need updating, other than maybe going to single outlines, but I wouldn't call them "untouchable". I think West Virginia and Washington State could both use very minor tweaks, but they're also perfectly fine as is.

As a Sooner fan, OU has a history of tweaking the width and size of the interlocking OU, so I can't say that we should be used as an example of updating an 'untouchable' logo.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ray Lankford said:

1741_southern_california_trojans-helmet-

The general concept, and even shape, are good but surely USC can do better than this. If nothing else, he's maroon. 

USC did this once before, in 1992.  It was apparently not well received among alumni and fans.

RoT_Helmet_1992.png&w=960

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think these are the power conference schools that still use beveled logos. I'm not a fan. I think they would all be better off simplifying or modifying their logos.

Big 12: Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State

SEC: Texas A&M

On 10/28/2018 at 7:49 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

OSU Beavers. I’m not a fan of this logo at all. At most it should be a sparingly used alternate, rather than their primary 

79813572013.gif

They redid their branding to this barely 5 years ago, it's not changing soon. 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

23 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

While I would personally agree that the recent, slight modification to Ohio State’s logo — which was solely simplifying the wordmark for printing and resizing purposes — was an upgrade, most fans wouldn’t agree. In fact, most viewed it unnecessary and as if the designers simply used the MSPaint fill tool to make the change. Not to mention, there’s a large section of the fanbase that prefers the simple Block O over the athletics logo. 

It's an upgrade. The previous logo created unnecessary clutter. The Block O, along with the full script athletic logo, are both a large part of the team and university identity. I like the full script as the primary, but the block O is everywhere in Columbus, for good reason. I wish they would emphasize gray more though, as they tend to ignore it for black.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

It's an upgrade. The previous logo created unnecessary clutter. The Block O, along with the full script athletic logo, are both a large part of the team and university identity. I like the full script as the primary, but the block O is everywhere in Columbus, for good reason. I wish they would emphasize gray more though, as they tend to ignore it for black.

Off topic -- 

I've always found it interesting that The Ohio State University succeeds in (gets away with?) using just the block O and the script Ohio with the marching band when Ohio University exists.  I know TOSU is a much bigger school and more prominent athletically.  However, a standalone O and the word Ohio seem like they should be associated with Ohio Univ., not the school that also has "State" in its name.

I apologize in advance for any buckjacking of this thread that may occur, but this doesn't seem worthy of a separate thread.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived