Oakland Roots SC: Pro soccer is coming to Oakland (crest reveal, no league info yet)

xbhaskarx

Article:

https://blog.sfgate.com/soccer/2018/10/29/bay-area-soccer-oakland-roots-unveil-crest-quakes-wondo-comes-up-goal-short-stompers-advance-us-open-cup/

“After countless hours of conversations, brainstorms and creative sessions with trusted members of Oakland including an official Roots Community Advisory Board, we are proud to share a crest that celebrates the individuality and diversity of Oakland and its passion for soccer,” the team announced on its Twitter page.

The logo features an oak tree with multi-colored roots representing the multi-cultural mix of Oakland. Cut out of the tree is the image of the city as it looks on a map.

“Our crest embodies our club spirit and deep-rooted love for Oakland,” the team added.

It was designed by Matthew Wolff who also created the Los Angeles Football Club’s crest and the 2018 World Cup jersey for the Nigeria Football Federation which sold out within minutes of going on sale.

The Roots will play professional soccer in 2019 but they have still not said which league they will join. It’s expected that the club will announce their plans shortly. Team staff members will be hosting a meet and greet with the public at the Atheltic Club Oakland on Saturday, Nov. 11th from 8:30 am till 2 pm.

40 minutes ago, henburg said:

I really dig this logo, it takes clear cultural influence from Oakland. My only pet peeve is the skewed text that is preventing it from looking completely professional. 

Except I think without the skew, it would like look like something bland and corpoeate trying to cash in on 90s hip hop. I'm not sure this design works nearly as well without it.

Love the name too.

This gets my Oakland Stamp of ApprovalTM (may or may not be valid).

I can't exactly place where I've seen that pattern before, but it sure as hell feels like Oakland to me. It makes perfect sense that the man who designed Nigeria's World Cup jersey designed this.

On another note, where in the world are they actually going to play?

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

Except I think without the skew, it would like look like something bland and corpoeate trying to cash in on 90s hip hop. I'm not sure this design works nearly as well without it.

Love the name too.

Definitely. A big part of what makes this so confident and powerful is the type, and the mix of the type with the image. Regular text in there and it’s a parks or tourism or event logo.

I do think the lettering could have been executed better than what it was and still maintained its personality, but it definitely needs the funk that the type provides.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived