Why do different sports have different logo tendencies?

Why do the essentially all NBA and MLB primary logos surround their central element, often used on its own as a secondary or partial logo, with a roundel or the team name, whereas the NFL and NHL just let that main emblem stand for itself?

28 minutes ago, FALCON6 said:

Why do the essentially all NBA and MLB primary logos surround their central element, often used on its own as a secondary or partial logo, with a roundel or the team name, whereas the NFL and NHL just let that main emblem stand for itself?

Because Football doesn’t need very many alternate logos because they have no where to really put them. NHL does have like 1 alternate logo and it’s their shoulder patch

Since the helmet logo is the most visible logo seen on the field, most football teams just run with one main logoband any other logos are used for fan apparel. Intricate logos don't work on baseball hats and helmets that use a smaller amount of space.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Lots of NBa logos are round probably because they go in the jump ball circle at center court. 

NHL and NFL shape doesn’t matter. MLB primaries don’t matter much, as even their use as a sleeve patch is decreasing. Hell - I legitimately can’t remember the last time I saw the Phillies full primary used in any official context. The cap logo and word marks are far more important. 

Hell - in 2018, the social-media avatars are more important than primary logos, and we are seeing logo designations changing to better suit that. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, some MLB primaries are starting to take a seat back. Some teams have even switched their primary and secondary logos (Pirates and Brewers). The cap logo, which mostly consist of 1 or 2 letters, is the one that represents the team. 

XM4KeeA.png

55 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I think it's interesting that in the NBA almost every team has a basketball or net incorporated into their logo, in baseball you see a lot of balls, bats, and even bases, hockey logos will often throw in a stick or puck, but NFL teams very seldom used equipment imagery.

Isn't there a rule that requires NBA teams to have a logo that features a basketball?  I don't think it needs to be the primary logo necessarily, but at least one in their set needs to have a basketball in it.

56 minutes ago, Echo said:

Isn't there a rule that requires NBA teams to have a logo that features a basketball?  I don't think it needs to be the primary logo necessarily, but at least one in their set needs to have a basketball in it.

The Bulls don't have any basketballs in their primary or secondary logos. Might be a few other teams that don't as well, but they immediately came to mind.

I have heard there is a rule that the primary logo for all NBA teams must feature the city and team name however.

T1oYViW.png

i think a lot of it is for the same reasons you find a continued tradition and visuals in any culture, and these leagues are their own cultures with their own visual languages. if you go back to the 40s, a lot of it looks the same across leagues and universities, but they really started to pull apart in the late 60s and 70s. the American counter-culture certainly had it's impact on sports brand where teams adopted a greater sense of self and expression and it really ramped up in the 90s where we had a boom of technology and options in color, fabric, and tools to make all the things. from there, i suppose its an evolution of the language decade to decade and sometimes its greatly impacted by a rule like "the logo must have a basketball in it". 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is interesting. Is this true? 

3 hours ago, selby56 said:

The Bulls don't have any basketballs in their primary or secondary logos. Might be a few other teams that don't as well, but they immediately came to mind.

I have heard there is a rule that the primary logo for all NBA teams must feature the city and team name however.

I can't seem to find anything official stating this but I've seen it mentioned on Deadspin and a few other places that this is a rule.  A couple teams who had their logos before the rule went into effect were grandfathered in.

k9lJMiN.png

fc2319a3-de6d-442e-bdd2-60a5ca3357c4.png

9 hours ago, selby56 said:

I think they were grandfathered in whenever the rule was put in place.

Id say it boils down to application, whether baseball hats, basketball courts, hockey sweaters football helmets, soccer kits. They all have logos that bed benefit the tradition and usage, like said previously this can explain why, even throughout history, basketball teams have had roundals, and unlike baseballs arent getting simpler, while they’re getting simpler because you see and buy the hat more than anything else. And football helmets can use the same argument although they don’t be need to be ad small. 

I feel like since basketball is the youngest sport in America (in the big 4) that’s why all the logos include basketballs to desperate them and create their own identity and why older teams (bulls) don’t really need to. Similar to baseball. That’s my theory anyway, it’s probably got a lot of holes though

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

NFL logos are angrier, aggressive (Seahawks, Ravens, Panthers for example). Though that is for obvious reasons American football is rough, tough, brash, in your face which is the stereotypical American persona, and the national sport reflects that. Also logos that reflect the fabled Wild West (Broncos, Cowboys, Bills, Chiefs).

NFL aggression is a relatively recent thing though.  As late as the mid 90s, the logos weren't really that aggressive.  Then the Jags and Panthers debuted what we'd consider aggressive designs, and a year later, the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles debuted the eagle head which arguably set the standard for that particular style of logo in the NFL.  Not sure if I'd consider the Broncos, which predates the SBCPE's logo by a year or two, "aggressive", but one could make that argument.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, the move towards aggression is a relatively recent change.  And it's happened at the same time as rule changes have been making the game less violent, so go figure.

If anything, the NFL is cartoonishly "rough, tough, brash, in your face", talking tough and putting on a false pretense of strength.  Volume over substance.  Which is the real American persona.  :P 

On 10/30/2018 at 10:46 PM, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

Because Football doesn’t need very many alternate logos because they have no where to really put them. NHL does have like 1 alternate logo and it’s their shoulder patch

You'll often see tertiary NHL logos on helmets and breezers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:49 PM, Echo said:

I can't seem to find anything official stating this but I've seen it mentioned on Deadspin and a few other places that this is a rule.  A couple teams who had their logos before the rule went into effect were grandfathered in.

k9lJMiN.png

fc2319a3-de6d-442e-bdd2-60a5ca3357c4.png

Interesting since the Spurs updated their logos. Though to be fair, the SA monogram on the basketball, which is their secondary logo, was added to the logo set and is on the shorts now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived