Why do different sports have different logo tendencies?

The outline on the right leg should be white not black. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe a little thinner, but yes. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/31/2018 at 7:03 AM, insert name said:

Yeah, some MLB primaries are starting to take a seat back. Some teams have even switched their primary and secondary logos (Pirates and Brewers). The cap logo, which mostly consist of 1 or 2 letters, is the one that represents the team. 

I see this slowly becoming true in the NBA as well as teams are realizing that their simpler secondary logos (with no team name spelled out) are often more practical to use on apparel, TV graphics, etc... The Bucks, Spurs, Rockets, and Clippers all use their secondary more often than primary, while the Bulls, Blazers, and Pacers have been doing this for decades. I expect this trend to continue in the NBA in the years to come as these marks are recognizable without words and need no explanation, much like NFL logos.

There are exceptions - teams like the Kings and Suns whose primaries are clean and simple (short team names help) so their primaries look good shrunk and in all applications. Then there are the Knicks, Jazz, and Lakers where the lettering is the most prominent element of their logos, making the primary a stronger mark than the secondary. 

Essentially, think about where you see a team's logo the most during a game, and that will tell you.

Hockey gets the most elaborate logos, since they take up the entire front of a sweater.

Basketball teams don't usually wear logos on their uniforms.  This has changed a bit recently, but mostly, center court is the main logo placement.  So they're designed to fit the confines of court dimensions... even if those "confines" seem to get larger with the year, if not disappearing altogether.

Football teams have helmets.  Not quite as large as a hockey sweater, but still a decent amount of "real estate" to play with.

Baseball has cap fronts.  So they have to be simple and distinct.  Possibly why I like baseball uniforms the most.

I think it's also notable that colleges that have football tend to have simpler logos than those without.

Soccer is the big monkey wrench here.  Their logos are displayed small, but tend to be more elaborate.  Obviously, the influence of heraldic crests is the big factor here.  That said, I actually like the balance that seems to have been struck regarding  North American clubs. 

Archived