New Travel (Trvl) Channel Logo

hettinger_rl

So this may not be completely official, but the reason the went to Trvl is they want to keep the same, but emphasize less Travel based shows:

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/travel-channel-news/travel-channel-has-a-new-look

And one wiki:

"Travel Channel revealed a new logo stylized as Trvl Channel, and shifted its programming to focus on "the paranormal, the unsolved, the creepy and terrifying", akin to its counterpart Destination America when they drifted to paranormal programming themselves full-time in mid-2017"

Another article said that Destination America is drifting back to what it originally showed emphasizing less on  that programming. 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, kmccarthy27 said:

So this may not be completely official, but the reason the went to Trvl is they want to keep the same, but emphasize less Travel based shows:

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/travel-channel-news/travel-channel-has-a-new-look

And one wiki:

"Travel Channel revealed a new logo stylized as Trvl Channel, and shifted its programming to focus on "the paranormal, the unsolved, the creepy and terrifying", akin to its counterpart Destination America when they drifted to paranormal programming themselves full-time in mid-2017"

Another article said that Destination America is drifting back to what it originally showed emphasizing less on  that programming. 

So basically it's network rot. Travel Channel is moving away from travel-based shows, just like MTV gave up on music a long time ago.

8 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

And 90% of all cable networks that were set up for a specific purpose

Pretty much. Seems to happen to every network over time. I recall TV Land once being for "old timey" shows, then they soon started showing re-runs of current Nickelodeon shows. TLC went from learning about things to watching fat, screaming babies and kids.

3 minutes ago, Quillz said:
8 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

And 90% of all cable networks that were set up for a specific purpose

Pretty much. Seems to happen to every network over time. I recall TV Land once being for "old timey" shows, then they soon started showing re-runs of current Nickelodeon shows. TLC went from learning about things to watching fat, screaming babies and kids.

Then there's the Weather Channel.  That channel should show only what it shows in the mornings and evenings: weather reports.

We get a glimpse of what the Weather Channel should be whenever there is extreme weather somewhere in the country, and the garbage programming is cancelled in favour of staying in the studio.  We shouldn't have to wait for a hurricane for this.

Not only is it frustrating for me as a viewer that the Weather Channel shows crap instead of talking about the weather (which I would be interested in), it is also baffling to me that this channel in particular produces its own programming.  This seems like loads of money thrown away.  Whatever the advertisers are willing to pay for the stupid shows that the Weather Channel produces, I cannot fathom that this works out better than just staying with the format of weather anchors sitting at the desk and standing in front of maps, which can be produced at a small fraction of the cost of the channel's pointless original programming.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Other than a major event, would anyone watch the Weather Channel for more than 2 minutes at a time?  Unless there's a catastrophic event, if there's a local event like a blizzard then I'm watching local news, and if I just need to know weather, I'm checking apps on my phone.  A channel dedicated to weather reports simply isn't viable without other programming to capture people for more than 2 minutes.  Even then, I'm not sure how viable it is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Other than a major event, would anyone watch the Weather Channel for more than 2 minutes at a time?  Unless there's a catastrophic event, if there's a local event like a blizzard then I'm watching local news, and if I just need to know weather, I'm checking apps on my phone.  A channel dedicated to weather reports simply isn't viable without other programming to capture people for more than 2 minutes.  Even then, I'm not sure how viable it is.

You get not only your local weather, but also the conditions all over the country. I keep that channel on for more than an hour each morning before I go to work, and I'd do that at any time of day. It's interesting even when there is no extreme weather.

If the Weather Channel just showed the weather, then I would set that channel as the default channel that my cable box tunes to when it is turned on. It would wind up being on for hours, as it is on any morning that I don't have to work. And I would see a lot more of the ads.

Meanwhile, the awful programming leads me to turn on that channel only for a minute, and then turn it right off.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 8:03 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

ESPN thought the same thing about sports highlights and then "embraced debate."

Reading about Chicago Tribune buyouts somehow led me to this story about SportsCenter's return to highlights:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-espn-sports-center-changes-20181205-story.html

Found it interesting in this era of cable TV brand "rot," as someone put it above. Travel Channel showing all the ghost shows is kind of silly outside of October.

usually, i like to see how logos work in their environment before making a judgement. whats it look like in motion, as a watermark, on the tv guide... with this one there's no need. the positive is that the overall shape and color is unique enough; its a recognizable mark that stands out, but the symbolism is off. that arrow is more of a play button and unless theres some kind of double meaning they're going for here, i think it's pretty weak. and then aesthetically, i think its weak too. ugly colors and just a wretched font. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived