Your Uniform of Nostalgia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a two year break from hockey after the disappointing end to the 1993/94 season and sometime in 1996 one of my friends showed up to school in this exact jersey (ccm replica, incorrect shoulder patch).  I didn't even know who the Colorado Avalanche were but was absolutely enthralled with the design of this new jersey.  It was unlike anything I've ever seen from the angled striping, to the metallic highlights on the logos.  I didn't know why there was a foot on the shoulder but thought the silver embroidery made it look really sharp.  Within a few weeks, everyone was showing up to school in this jersey and by the end of the year I started my jersey collecting hobby with a starter version of their burgundy road.  Anytime I see an Avalanche jersey, with the lighter burgundy, it never fails to bring back those warm feelings of nostalgia.

ljyJjKl.jpg

5 hours ago, Toodles1980 said:

Every summer we took a trip to Milwaukee to see these beauties. 

Brewers.jpg

And for us the Muskegon Lumberjacks were our local sports team. 

recchi-f.jpg

Good to see the Brewers having support from the other side of the ferry... even if our cities were rivals come hockey season.

I sure do miss the days of the Admirals playing the likes of Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Fort Wayne, and Toledo.

I started following the NFL in 2003. At the time, the Atlanta Falcons had the newest uniforms in the league. This particular combo makes me nostalgic for that time in my life. It also helped that Michael Vick was the cover athlete for Madden NFL 2004

atlanta-falcons-linebacker-keith-brookin

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

3 hours ago, Chawls said:

I started following the NFL in 2003. At the time, the Atlanta Falcons had the newest uniforms in the league. This particular combo makes me nostalgic for that time in my life. It also helped that Michael Vick was the cover athlete for Madden NFL 2004

atlanta-falcons-linebacker-keith-brookin

As aged as the Falcons' jersey is now, I still love the look of these black jerseys. It's a shame they dropped them.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

52 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Albert+Pujols+Jemile+Weeks+Oakland+Athle

That’s my all-time favorite A’s cap. I’m still pissed they scrapped it. I bet they thought the white “A’s” outlined in gold would be a minor tweak, but it looks so inferior to me that they may as well have just scrapped the solid green cap altogether.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

29 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That’s my all-time favorite A’s cap. I’m still pissed they scrapped it. I bet they thought the white “A’s” outlined in gold would be a minor tweak, but it looks so inferior to me that they may as well have just scrapped the solid green cap altogether.

That’s not a bad idea.

20100420_111035_eck.jpg?w=451

ap_18173763133208-e1529782304495.jpg?w=6

When the team cheaped out on batting helmets, their look improved severalfold.

The solid-green cap is one of the most unnecessary road caps in MLB history.  No verison of it - white A, gold A, gold with white outline a - worked with their normal road jersey.

Their road look - even with the darkened green - is one of the best when worn with the normal cap.  With the solid green one, it's just forgettable. 

I don't go there very often, but I'll go as far as to call the green crown - gold bill cap iconic.  Why they wouldn't want to wear it all the time is beyond me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NFL_RYAN_LEAF_WSU_LIBO.JPG_v343x228.jpg?

Can you imagine anyone using this number font today? 

By the way there’s still 3 seconds left in the 1998 Rose Bowl.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

8 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

NFL_RYAN_LEAF_WSU_LIBO.JPG_v343x228.jpg?

Can you imagine anyone using this number font today? 

By the way there’s still 3 seconds left in the 1998 Rose Bowl.

That's literally the placeholder number font you get when the number font you thought you had isn't on your computer.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 11/2/2018 at 6:04 AM, leopard88 said:

I always thought that too.  You can't convince that the helmet logo and stripe aren't red.  I had no idea what people were talking about when they started referring to the 1977 defense as the "Orange Crush".

This picture is from the 1977 AFC Championship Game.

Raiders.jpg

I believe Colorwerx (or whatever his name is now) confirmed that the orange was lightened later.

Tangentially related, but I find it quite peculiar that Tom Jackson was ahead of his time in that he wore a skill position facemask.

UBwef0L.png

I realize that most Browns fan have nostalgia for the original team before the move to Baltimore. But as a 22 year old, the first few years of the expansion Browns is what does it for me. Probably has something to do with not making the playoffs for the past 15 years. But something about the orange pants and white face masks just takes me back. I missed these uniforms even from '06 - '14. Little did I know that I would soon miss them much MUCH worse.

cleveland-browns-daylon-mccutcheon-pics-

5314916a63a7b7e1acc7a4ca24f424a5.jpg

Those brown over orange uniforms were among my favorite ever.  Gray facemask would be better - hell, working in gray anywhere would be good.  Such perfect autumnal colors.  I'm not as in love with the white over orange, but white over brown (with the normal stripes) or even... hear me out now... gray (yeah, I know, shut up) could be great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived