Cool Mascots but Terrible or Underwhelming Logos

I put a post on the request board for a logo for my kids' school because they are the soldiers and their logo sucks LOL.  So much potential and wasted (see below).  It got me thinking about all the teams pro, college and even high school who have a cool mascot but who have a lame logo.  I don't mean a team called the bears where the bear sucks.  I mean they didn't even try to do a bear.  So who do you think is wasting their opportunity to have a sweet logo and sell a bunch more merchandise? 

I've came up with my top 3 from the NBA:

Detroit Pistons

OKC

LA Clippers

I didn't do Lakers because I'm not sure they have a chance to make a sweet laker logo. How would one do that LOL? 

Here's my son's school logo... didn't even try ?

current.jpg

I always thought the Pistons logo was a rather clever depiction of a piston inside a cylinder.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

We can all hope it was something clever but there are some really cool logos out there people have designed for them and they have a ball with words... 

This is the one for their video game team:

2017-12-12_9-54-36.jpg

Way better than what they have but prob would need work before it could be an NBA logo. 

I think you have to look at it on a case-by-case basis. I mean take a look at the Michigan Wolverines. That's a unique animal that could have a good team-name-related logo, like your avatar for example. Most would probably agree that a block M is pretty underwhelming for a team named Wolverines, but they have so much equity built up in that M that using a Wolverine instead wouldn't make much sense for them.

4 hours ago, Green27 said:

Growing up I was always bummed that the Jets didn't really incorporate anything airplane-like into their branding (80's aside). 

They did have a plane logo around 1963:

Riddell-Kra-Lite-RK2-Suspension-Football

Both the baseball and football Giants have plenty of potential with mascots and stuff, but instead we're stuck with city initials.

8 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Not related to the topic:

Are you just using @JJSCOTT s image for your avatar or are you JJSCOTT?

Just using the sweet image.  If I had those skills I wouldn't need help with the Soldiers logo. I'd love to put it this Wolverine on a shirt and where it to a game and see how many people ask where I got it and hopefully someone from the staff would ask me about it and I could try to put them with JJSCOTT LOL.  But that's a pipe dream.  It is sweet even if would only be used to compliment the M. 

5 hours ago, msu said:

I think you have to look at it on a case-by-case basis. I mean take a look at the Michigan Wolverines. That's a unique animal that could have a good team-name-related logo, like your avatar for example. Most would probably agree that a block M is pretty underwhelming for a team named Wolverines, but they have so much equity built up in that M that using a Wolverine instead wouldn't make much sense for them.

That is true.  I considered that which is why I didn't list them.  But I do have some stuff with the old hat wearing Wolverine from the past.  Love it but my avatar is better than that even. 

Archived