infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 8

infrared41

Another good week of uniform match ups. We have a really good best list - including a top tier, best of the best, match up. Only one game on this week's worst list. I haven't looked, but I'm pretty sure that the longest worst list this season was only three games. So let's get started. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may differ from mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. 

BEST:

1. Colts - Raiders: A fantastic match up between two classic uniforms. This one will be in the running for game of the year. They all should look this good.

Q3UjO91.jpgnmkhwQB.jpg

2. Saints - Vikings: New Orleans should make the CR uniform its primary road uniform. So much better than the black pants look. The Vikings always look good.

BcqT45t.jpg

3. Packers - Rams: Southern California sunshine, one of the best road looks in the game, and those Rams throwbacks make for a great looking match up. LA's throwbacks aren't one of my favorites, but against the right team, they really work. The Packers are one of those teams. This one was like watching a game from the 70's in HD. That said, there is a lot of yellow to look at. 

izeuH0m.jpg

4. Washington - NY Giants: Two fine examples of when you get the design right, you leave it alone.

G9S0X96.jpg

5. Browns - Steelers: The Browns have a lot of uniform combos. Most of them are awful, but the all white ain't bad and it looks pretty good when matched up with another good looking uniform. Long time readers know that I've been banging the drum for the Steelers to go back to the block number font. After finally seeing the block font back in action, I have to finally admit that the current font is better - or maybe it's just more familiar to me now. In any case, I didn't think the block number font looked as good as I thought it would. Live and learn, I guess. 

EsAue6t.jpg

Honorable Mention - Patriots - Bills: The Bills brought about 78% of the good looking to this game.

fLpb2AU.jpg

WORST:

1. Buccaneers - Bengals: Two fine examples of when you get the design right, leave it alone. Unfortunately, neither of these teams chose to leave it alone. Whole lotta ugly here. FWIW, both teams are just some tweaks away from looking good. 

2nW6nEW.jpg

That's all for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

Even though there was a lot of yellow gold in the game, Packers @ Rams takes my #1 spot this week. Two traditional uniforms, well executed. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Colts-Raiders looks good, no doubt, but IMO, it’s lacking in color. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I’d like to see them with blue road alternate pants for a few games like this to add some of that missing color.

9 hours ago, Chawls said:

Even though there was a lot of yellow gold in the game, Packers @ Rams takes my #1 spot this week. Two traditional uniforms, well executed. 

They can call that :censored: whatever they want, it's still yellow. B)

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The Bears were wearing those God-awful throwbacks. That uniform looks like a 1950's high school uniform. And a bad one at that. 

Fair point. I forgot that a lot of people don't like those.

I don’t like games in which both teams have the Same color pants, unless they’re white. Therefore, idve given Rams/Packers a lower score. Had Rams been wearing throwback white pants with blue-YELLOW-blue stripe, it would be 1 or 2 for me. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Saints - Vikings: New Orleans should make the CR uniform its primary road uniform. So much better than the black pants look. The Vikings always look good.

BcqT45t.jpg

Pair it with the gold pants as well as the sleeve stripes on the socks and you got a winner and a half right there. 
1994_NewOrleans.png

zyyMk1d.png

Oh man the Saints/Vikings could've been a bit better with gold pants but it's still #1 for me. The old gold is gorgeous and the Vikings are pretty much perfect to me.

Bills have a nice look, but the Pats look like garbage in that picture. From far away I'm they're less offensive.

The Rams and Packers looks pretty good but too much yellow. Having both teams in yellow pants is not a great matchup IMO, even if both sets are great on their own (though I'm not a pro-navy helmet guy personally).

Bucs/Bengals looks solid IMO.

6 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Bucs/Bengals looks solid IMO.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcNKvsSE7sKxouuwi43Dw

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcNKvsSE7sKxouuwi43Dw

Nah, I'm an apologist for both teams and their current looks. Bengals just need to drop the side panels and they are perfect. Bucs need to fix the numbers and could make adjustments to the sleeve logos but overall I prefer it to previous looks. But I've probably made these points too many times already. ?

Honestly, I'm actually surprised Redskins-Giants didn't place higher. Blue vs. red with good, traditional uniforms seemed like it was right in your wheelhouse.

I wish the Saints' gold helmets were closer to the gold numbers on those color rush jerseys. If they could figure that out and get matching gold pants that'd just be the best.

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

@infrared41

Is the "close, but no cigar" or similarly worded list still in play this season, where a team had a chance to make it wonderful but screwed it up?

Because i already feel like week 9 Bills/Bears would potentially qualify

I assume if it was in play..... Week 8 would've been Panthers/Ravens? Carolina looked beautiful in the blues & the Ravens mucked it with the black yoga pants. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

@infrared41

Is the "close, but no cigar" or similarly worded list still in play this season, where a team had a chance to make it wonderful but screwed it up?

Because i already feel like week 9 Bills/Bears would potentially qualify

I decided not to do that bit this season. Believe it or not, putting this thing together each week is more time consuming than you’d think. My goal this season was to speed up the process and dumping the “close, but...” bit has helped with that. That said, yes, Bears -Bills would have made the grade. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Honestly, I'm actually surprised Redskins-Giants didn't place higher. Blue vs. red with good, traditional uniforms seemed like it was right in your wheelhouse.

I wish the Saints' gold helmets were closer to the gold numbers on those color rush jerseys. If they could figure that out and get matching gold pants that'd just be the best.

The color thing seems to be coming up a lot this season so let me try to explain my “process.” The lists are based solely on how much I like or dislike the look of the uniforms in each weeks games. Colors, etc., only come into play when I need a tiebreaker. A good color match up doesn’t necessarily mean a higher ranking over a game in which I like the uniforms better. For example, Rams - Packers wasn’t a great color match up, but I like both uniforms better than the Redskins white over burgundy combo. It was a good looking game, but in my opinion, it didn’t look as good as the games ahead of it on the best list.  Does that help clarify how I do these silly lists?

BB52Big.jpg

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The color thing seems to be coming up a lot this season so let me try to explain my “process.” The lists are based solely on how much I like or dislike the look of the uniforms in each weeks games. Colors, etc., only come into play when I need a tiebreaker. A good color match up doesn’t necessarily mean a higher ranking over a game in which I like the uniforms better. For example, Rams - Packers wasn’t a great color match up, but I like both uniforms better than the Redskins white over burgundy combo. It was a good looking game, but in my opinion, it didn’t look as good as the games ahead of it on the best list.  Does that help clarify how I do these silly lists?

I suppose so. It's all subjective and expecting Redskins-Giants to be higher was the product of me guessing wrongly about subjectivity. I do distinctly remember watching that game and immediately thinking, "that's gonna place high on infrared's list" which probably says more about me than anything else. I can't even take issue with the games above that one, just expected in higher. I really don't take any issue with anything on these lists other than your objectively incorrect hatred of the Ravens' purple pants.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:38 PM, infrared41 said:

5. Browns - Steelers: The Browns have a lot of uniform combos. Most of them are awful, but the all white ain't bad and it looks pretty good when matched up with another good looking uniform. Long time readers know that I've been banging the drum for the Steelers to go back to the block number font. After finally seeing the block font back in action, I have to finally admit that the current font is better - or maybe it's just more familiar to me now. In any case, I didn't think the block number font looked as good as I thought it would. Live and learn, I guess. 

EsAue6t.jpg

So, I have a similar issue with the Steelers. I actually like the block font better than the italic, except that I like it for Iowa, not the Steelers. I imagine it’s a situation of being used to the block (and now the almost-block custom font) being worn by Iowa and not the Steelers.

I’d honesty rather see the Steelers go with a completely new uniform design than stick with the current ones if they were to go with a block font.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Steelers v Browns with the browns in they old white with orange pants would win every week, maybe even be both one and two some weeks. 

Archived