JCRGraphix

NHL Super-League

Two of my favorite sports are hockey, and English football, so I decided to combine a little bit of the rules of the two. 

During the 2017-18 season, the AHL, ECHL, and a handful of other minor leagues sued the NHL for having a monopoly on professional ice hockey, and in a shocking turn of events, they won, forever changing the landscape of the sport. They finished out the 2017-18 season, but during the season began planning for the upcoming changes. The NHL would no longer be 31 teams in one league, but 3 leagues of 32. The NHL kept its name as the premier league, the AHL kept its name as the 2nd division, and the ECHL became the IHL as the 3rd division. At the end of the season, as a compromise, the NHL teams each got to protect 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie. The rest of the players from each team went into a massive pool to be drafted. Within each league, teams that had been around for the longest got seeded earlier for drafting. Each round of the draft was different with different positions going at different times, for instance round 1 consisted of the AHL drafting centers, wingers, defensemen and goalies separately followed by the NHL, and then the IHL got to start making picks in round 2.

The last 3 teams in the NHL at the end of the regular season will be relegated to the AHL while the bottom 3 of the AHL will go to the IHL. The top 2 teams from the regular season from the AHL and IHL will each be promoted, and a 16 team playoff will be held where the champion will be promoted as well. The NHL will be the only league competing for the Stanley Cup while the Calder and Kelly Cups will be retired.

I will post each team here individually before getting into our first season. I've already put a lot of work into the draft and some of the branding, so here's to hoping I don't run out of steam!

Our first team (posting alphabetically) is the Adirondack Thunder of the IHL. For their look, I fixed up their previous logo and made a new look based on their color scheme rather than a rip-off of their NHL affiliate. They drafted relatively well for an IHL team picking up a few NHLers and some other solid talent.

roster.png

thunder1.png

thunder2.png

Up next from the IHL are the Alaska Aces (replacing the Tulsa Oilers). For their look, I created a new logo, and based their uniforms on the invasion stripes of WWII era fighter planes. This look is also inspired by @sparky chewbarky's Las Vegas Aces concept from a while back, but takes the look in a bit of a different direction. The Aces have some major talent with Carl Hagelin and Ron Hainsey along with the rough and tumble play of Jared Boll.

roster.png

aces1.png

aces2.png

Cool so far, really looking forward to this series

I'm definitely going to keep up with this series, it's a very interesting idea and the first two designs have been very well done!

Thanks for all the feedback! The NHL took some cues from the NFL for the color rush, although it's really a gold rush to grab that merch cash!

Up next are the Albany River Rats of the AHL replacing the Toronto Marlies. During their whole existence, they have a derivative look from their major league club and a really minor league looking logo. I gave them a unique look with a brand new logo. 

ROSTER.png

RIVERRATS1.png

RIVERRATS2.png

Up next we have our first premier division club, the Anaheim Ducks with their retro look. During the draft the Ducks protected:

C Ryan Getzlaf

C Rickard Rakell

RW Ondrej Kase

D Hampus Lindholm

D Cam Fowler

G John Gibson.

ROSTER.png

DUCKS1.png

DUCKS2.png

Up next we have the Arizona Coyotes. For their design, I changed a few small details including the font, and added a black alternate, and a native-inspired color rush uniform that will be used as an extra alternate.

ROSTER.png

coyotes1.png

coyotes2.png

The Atlanta Gladiators have a new look here with the same main logo minus the wordmark. The color rush uniform will also be used as an alternate but with black pants.

ROSTER.png

GLADIATORS1.png

GLADIATORS2.png

Up next we have the Bakersfield Condors who look like they're poised to make a run for the NHL this year. I used their pre-Oilers color scheme and dropped the wordmark for the main logo.

ROSTER.png

CONDORS1.png

CONDORS2.png

3 hours ago, JCRGraphix said:

Up next we have the Arizona Coyotes. For their design, I changed a few small details including the font, and added a black alternate, and a native-inspired color rush uniform that will be used as an extra alternate.

ROSTER.png

coyotes1.png

coyotes2.png

Holy shot that Mashup of the original colors with the current Coyotes logo Is gold. Also, I love how you went back to the Disney ducks design

Up next is the return of the Baltimore Skipjacks who are an AHL expansion club. For the Baltimore Skipjacks, I designed a new logo based on one meaning of Skipjack, the Skipjack Tuna. The other logo is a maritime logo based on the other meaning which is a common boat on the east coast. The colors come from the Maryland flag.

ROSTER.png

skipjacks1.png

skipjacks2.png

Fantastic stuff, as expected. Especially loving Albany and Baltimore.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:28 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Fantastic stuff, as expected. Especially loving Albany and Baltimore.

Thanks! I always enjoy creating content for this community!

Up next are the Birmingham Bulls, a club previously playing in the WHA, CHL, ECHL, and SPHL. For the Bulls, I repurposed and recolored a logo I created for a different project and also created a secondary logo with the state of Alabama and the famous Vulcan statue from Birmingham. The third and color rush jerseys feature the striping from the Alabama flag as well as the state motto. There is no rule in the new NHL as to what color is worn where, so the Bulls where their white third jerseys at home.

ROSTER.png

BULLS1.png

BULLS2.png

For the Boston Bruins, I combined some of their previous looks to create a solid identity. The third jersey is based on their gold uniforms from 1940-44, and their color rush is based on their original uniforms. The Bs held onto Bergeron, Pastrnak, and Marchand on offense, Krug and McAvoy on defense, and Rask in goal cutting their aging captain Zdeno Chara free. They drafted very well and look to be one of the most solid teams in the NHL.

ROSTER.png

bruins1.png

bruins2.png

Up next we have the IHL's Brampton Beast. I dropped red from their color scheme so that we don't have yet another black and red team.

ROSTER.png

beast1.png

beast2.png

Up next are the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. For the Sound Tigers, I created a Tiger Shark logo and designed a sleek look based on it. You may have seen this logo on an old post I did redesigning the AHL, but I really liked it so I'm reusing it. The Sound Tigers look like one of the more solid AHL franchises.

ROSTER.png

SOUND+TIGERS1.png

SOUND+TIGERS2.png

For the Buffalo Sabres, I brought back their original look with the royal blue. I also created a gold alternate as well as a black and red color rush jersey that combines their looks from the late 1990s and early 2000s. In the draft Reinhart, Ristolainen, Dahlin, and Hutton. unlike most NHL teams, they actually managed to get better from the draft. 

ROSTER.png

sabres1.png

sabres2.png

For the Calgary Flames, I resurrected their original uniforms while also creating an alternate based on their current ones and a flame-based color rush uniform. The Flames protected Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, Hanifin, and Smith.

ROSTER.png

flames1.png

flames2.png

These have been all stunning looks, really looking forward to the rest of this project.

PLEASE tell me Wichita has stayed, their old friends in Tulsa aren’t there anymore, and I wouldn’t want to have to root for Kansas City.