MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

16 hours ago, labc93 said:

So, I stumbled across an article relating to Cincinnati...

https://www.fccincinnati.com/news_article/show/964021

According to said article, FC Cincinnati elected to work with global consultancy Interbrand "to craft its brand strategy and identity ahead of its 2019 debut" as a member of Major League Soccer.

Interbrand was responsible for the 2017 redesign of the Juventus Football Club badge. Make of that what you will.     

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Wonder if Cincy will keep their hoops or if they'll use the switch to really change it up.

I’m all in favor of having more diversity of kit design in MLS. Too many bland and solid color looks. The league needs more stripes, sashes, checkers, contrasting sleeves, contrasting shorts, etc.

Cincy should just go with the winged lion as the crest. Lose the rest. The top of the current crest with the crown/soccer ball and the disconnected soccer ball pentagon isn't good. The huge FC is pointless. The only interesting or unique part of the crest is the lion so use that. Don't put it in a shield or circle or anything. Every team in MLS uses some sort of bounding shape except I guess Revolution. The lion big and by itself would be nice.

6 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Wonder if Cincy will keep their hoops or if they'll use the switch to really change it up.

They've only been using the hoops for one season; it's not like they have some great history that the club needs a jump to MLS in order to change them.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, Jarred Revolver said:

Whitecaps will have the blue hoop back on their new white home shirt 

To build on this, 2019 is 40 years since the Whitecaps won the 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl. They often use next season's kit designs in their season ticket push. I wouldn't be surprised to see a white shirt with the blue chest stripe, with white shorts and socks.

1979-3.jpg

18 hours ago, Digby said:

That should have been their design from the start, just like the old days. Obvious problem, I guess, is that the Bell sponsor logo is very tall and square, which doesn't suit that shape of stripe well.

500% agreed.

They could do what Chicago did and just fit it in the stripe (I'm thinking the Quaker sponsorship years). They'd probably have to find a little different font or something but whatever

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

4 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

500% agreed.

They could do what Chicago did and just fit it in the stripe (I'm thinking the Quaker sponsorship years). They'd probably have to find a little different font or something but whatever

Now I'm no graphic designer, but theoretically, couldn't they have a white Bell-logo on the blue chest stripe and have the tops and bottoms of the characters run into the white-base of the kit. So the font is the same height as the stripe itself? 

Describing it in words is really not helpful at all but in my head that's what I thought of.

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

Now I'm no graphic designer, but theoretically, couldn't they have a white Bell-logo on the blue chest stripe and have the tops and bottoms of the characters run into the white-base of the kit. So the font is the same height as the stripe itself? 

Describing it in words is really not helpful at all but in my head that's what I thought of.

This would more than likely violate Bell's brand guidelines. Most companies require a certain amount of clear space around their logo. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

35 minutes ago, xbhaskarx said:

If this is real, it looks to be a screencap from an animated presentation. The logo appears to be on a waving, rippling surface... like a windblown banner. Otherwise, the rendering of the shield's border and the overall shading are really off.

If it were to be the badge that FC Cincinnati sports in Major League Soccer, I'd be of the opinion that it was one of the top primary logos in the entire league. Simple, straightforward, classic design.    

41 minutes ago, xbhaskarx said:

hmmm....

Its funny how high a standard we hold our crests to in the US, when you consider that Watford and Guingamp exist in two of the world’s top leagues.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

If it were to be the badge that FC Cincinnati sports in Major League Soccer, I'd be of the opinion that it was one of the top primary logos in the entire league. Simple, straightforward, classic design.    

Agreed.  This would be a huge upgrade over their current look.  Huge. 

Funny the amount of hate it is getting on Twitter and Reddit. People saying it would be the worst in the MLS. But as long as New England and SKC have theirs, that's not really possible.

All that said, I REALLY like this! Huge improvement over the old logo. At first glance I thought I liked the USL version. But after I looked at it more closely, I realized just how poorly designed that one is and really feels like clipart thrown together. This new one is simple, has class, and reads well. Plus, it's not another lazy roundel or typical shield shape.

Archived