MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

As this league grows, so too has its branding. It’s really quite marvelous watching MLS come into its own and is now quite respectable. All of the recent expansion clubs are putting out beautiful identities that still communicate an idea without having to sink to the MLS 1.0 Mutiny and Fusion. Now we just need to weed out some of the identities of the older clubs.

The Revs are absolutely abysmal and I cannot believe they’ve made it this far without acknowledging how bad their branding and stadium situation is. There’s plenty of inspiration they can pull from with their name and city history. If they could get into Boston proper, they could completely revitalize that club and it would be fun to see. I’ve never been a fan of the Dallas crest. That could definitely do with a refresh, but they should resurrect the hoops. And while the crest for RSL isn’t bad, I can’t take them seriously with that name. Same goes for NYRB, but I doubt we’ll see Red Bull drop the name. But on the whole, this is a beautiful league and it’s exciting to see its growth in our country.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Me too! And I’m a Sounder supporter. I think the Sounders need to refresh our colors... brighten the green a bit. I would say darken the blue but I actually really love that shade

I think something closer to the Seahawks' neon green would look great for the Sounders.

1038903746.jpg.0.jpg

The problem I have with their colors is that they're what I call "corrupt" colors.  They're not a pure shade, each has a little gray in it.  Slate blue instead of a more vibrant blue, Rave green instead of something brighter.  Using one corrupt color can be very effective, but multiples just make everything seem a little blah.

Agreed with all of you -- I've always felt that Sounders Green looked bright just by virtue of being a light green in MLS when no one was using it; if you eyedropper'ed it you'd realize that it was very olive drab for a color called "Rave Green". Their shirts have been all over the place through the years, too; sometimes they look bright and sometimes they look military fatigue, especially with the most recent shirt's pattern. I'm sure part of it is that their colors seem to vary more by environment than some other shirts, and part of it is sports manufacturers always struggling with green for some reason (see also: the many shades Adidas has handed to Mexico the past decade.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think something closer to the Seahawks' neon green would look great for the Sounders.

2WO0Yw2.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green | 2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 minute ago, Survival79 said:

2WO0Yw2.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green | 2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green

I think (ugh) "Action Green" for maximum contrast with the slate blue.    Although the old Bright Green is probably closer to what they're gong for with their Rave green.

Update with Austin FC Bright Verde and using colors from the TruColor website.

Man, I really like that Austin FC Bright Verde.

sypdkNm.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green | 2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green | Austin FC Bright Verde

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The Austin FC green has too much blue in it, IMO, for the Sounders, though it looks find in their context with black as trim. I like that current Seahawks green in this context a lot, it looks so natural, as if that's what they've been TRYING to push this whole time.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Now that Columbus is safe from relocation, I actually look forward to what Austin ultimately does with their kits. I have a fond bias to kelly green, black and white together due to those being the colors of the youth sports club I played for. Personally hoping they go with green jerseys, black shorts and green socks.

SN: I'm aware that Austin is calling it Bright Verde ;)

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

2WO0Yw2.png

If you had told me to "blindly" select which is the current Sounders green, I would have selected that 09-11 Seahawks Bright Green. In contrast, their actual green looks so drab.

Thanks for putting this together.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Looking at that graphic of the branding breadth of the league...some colors we're missing:

@Teal

Brown (dark and light)

Magenta?

Burnt Orange

Volt?

Dark Purple

Dark Grey

Coral?

Bronze?

Here's hoping Nashville incorporates some of those in their branding.

Anything other than yellow and navy (with maybe some columbia blue) will come as a huge surprise to me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm living in St. Louis now, where the MLS is push is aggressive and well supported. 

The marketing initiative is using royal, red and yellow -- not dissimilar from RSL. But the USL club uses a navy and emerald green logo that I think would stand out, even with Portland, Austin and Seattle all using varying shades of green. 

Bring back AC St Louis!

275px-AC_St_Louis_logo.svg.png

Colors and badge

The inverted shield features a fleur-de-lis with a golden flame beneath a catenary arch. The fleur-de-lis, a long time symbol of the city featured heavily in the region's iconography, was a symbol of French monarchs including Louis IX of France, for whom the city is named. The flame alludes to the 1904 Summer Olympics which were held in St. Louis as part of the St. Louis World's Fair, and is seen by many St. Louisans to be one of the formative events in the city's history. The arch represents the Gateway Arch, which was built in 1965 as a memorial to the city's placement in American history as the "Gateway to the West." A.C. is an homage to the Missouri Athletic Club, which has promoted soccer in the region for more than 100 years.

It would fit right in with the other greens!

8 hours ago, Survival79 said:

19oEV2A.png

Austin really nailed that green.

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Now that Columbus is safe from relocation, I actually look forward to what Austin ultimately does with their kits. I have a fond bias to kelly green, black and white together due to those being the colors of the youth sports club I played for. Personally hoping they go with green jerseys, black shorts and green socks.

SN: I'm aware that Austin is calling it Bright Verde ;)

They should add yellow and call it Savory Queso 🤢

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

As an Earthquakes fan, I've never liked our rebrand...

I think a lot of the criticisms here are spot on

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_san_jose_earthquakes_by_fiction.php

https://mwillis.com/identity-sketches-for-the-san-jose-earthquakes/

current-critique-v.png

The red 1974 and line on the right only really annoys me lol same with the top of the crest being curved when the lettering isn't...

A couple teams need to be pulled out of the 2000s still, and as a whole I’ve always hated the shading and 3D effects a lot of teams have on the soccer balls. Some updates I’d make specifically to shading (making it 2d) are Philly, Houston and Montreal. With maybe some updates to RSL, Quakes and Fire

All in all, im so happy that unlike every other league which has atleast 2 teams with horrendous looks. This league has not one look where I can say it’s bad. And the expansion teams are just keeping those standards up. Bravo MLS

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Update with Austin FC Bright Verde and using colors from the TruColor website.

Man, I really like that Austin FC Bright Verde.

sypdkNm.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green | 2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green | Austin FC Bright Verde

I would gladly take that kelly green for my Sounders!

I dislike how yellowish and dirty the current Sounders green is. I own a green warmup jacket, and whenever it's in the sun, it appears as a gross highlighter yellow color...

With a kelly green, that problem is fixed, and it would more closely match the natural greens of the city and region.

Also, the blue is grayish, like @Gothamite said, so it looks kinda muddy with any shade of green. Note the poor contrast the Adidas stripes have on the current jersey:

ff_3048834alt2_full.jpg&w=900

I would really appreciate deeper, more saturated shades of blue and green, and maybe a less cluttered crest (ditch the banner, at least!)

Sorry to rant, but I wish my team would look as good as they could!

As for the rest of the league, I agree with @BellaSpurs that some teams need cleanup (HOU, CHI, COL, SEA), and I feel that some teams have crest elements that are a tad generic (TOR, ATL, KC, CLB), but certainly the color distribution is good and there are some really amazing crests (MN, MIA)!

Speaking of the Sounders, it sounds like Zulily will likely be unveiled as their new shirt sponsor tomorrow. There seem to be some pretty strong rumors floating around the Sounders subreddit and Twitter, and apparently they’re unveiling the new sponsor a block away from the Zulily headquarters. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Very interesting that for the backdrop they have the Green Tree-on-Black Shield logo which seems to be the primary, but on their scarfs (scarves?) it's a Black Tree-on-Green Shield.

In the end, glad he's not with the charter member with the threat of moving them and destroying that legacy.  Good luck in Austin. 

Now who will be #28 or will they revive the Central Conference for even distribution among the teams (and create a new Texas Triangle for MLS)

28 I bet will be a race between Sacramento, St. Louis, or Detroit. Cincy, Nashville, Miami are all Eastern Conference, I bet they'll put Austin in Western (which would make it 14 East, 13 West) so for 28 it'd make sense for them to do a new club in the west just for balance sake. Sac has always seemed like it'd be inevitable, but I really don't know anymore. Maybe someone emerges but it feels more like a race between Sac, STL, and Detroit. Ideally, instead of Sac, I'd want a team in San Francisco for that rivalry. Plus then LAFC could have a North-South rivalry with Nor Cal. "City" clubs, know what I mean?

spacer.png

6 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

28 I bet will be a race between Sacramento, St. Louis, or Detroit. Cincy, Nashville, Miami are all Eastern Conference, I bet they'll put Austin in Western (which would make it 14 East, 13 West) so for 28 it'd make sense for them to do a new club in the west just for balance sake. Sac has always seemed like it'd be inevitable, but I really don't know anymore. Maybe someone emerges but it feels more like a race between Sac, STL, and Detroit. Ideally, instead of Sac, I'd want a team in San Francisco for that rivalry. Plus then LAFC could have a North-South rivalry with Nor Cal. "City" clubs, know what I mean?

Sac and Detroit were 3rd and 4th on the most recent options for expansion besides Cindy and Nashville, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re leading the pack. Especially Sac. They were really close last time.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

49 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Sac and Detroit were 3rd and 4th on the most recent options for expansion besides Cindy and Nashville, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re leading the pack. Especially Sac. They were really close last time.

This Goal.com analysis by Ives Galarcep puts St. Louis in the lead for the next expansion franchise: 

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/mls-expansion-ranking-the-remaining-potential-markets/1r8xo6ok3s4ee1p5ob31e779pf?fbclid=IwAR0oLwBlbuWEWyH8ugwGWWus7kHxOWbPG2MJsSXM9m0zBCvzDaJgxp0rdkg

It makes a lot of sense. The St. Louis bid is led by a pair of billionaire families, both of them local and devoted to St. Louis, who are willing to privately finance a stadium in a key part of the urban core. And this is arguably the most soccer-rich city in America, in terms of its history with the game. 

There have been many clubs "in the lead" that haven't been able to seal the deal.  The last St. Louis group among them, also led by a billionaire and a local mover-and-shaker. 

I don't think we can say for sure that any of the potential suitors is in the catbird's seat right now.

Archived