MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

On 1/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, Pharos04 said:

Now who will be #28...

That depends upon which of three things happens first.

Will it be members of Enterprise Holdings' Taylor Family - along with Worldwide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh - convincing St. Louis and Missouri political leaders to pass a package of state tax credits, city property tax breaks, and dedicated sales tax streams that would help buttress construction of a privately financed $250 million soccer stadium?

Will it be Sacramento Republic FC Chairman and CEO Kevin Nagle finally landing a deep-pocketed lead investor - or, group of such investors - capable of putting to rest MLS questions about his bid's financial wherewithal?

Will it be the estimated $13 billion combined net worth of Dan Gilbert, Tom Gores, and the Ford Family causing MLS leadership to put aside their concerns over the Detroit bid's opting to set-up shop in domed Ford Field?

At this juncture, my gut tells me that St. Louis is the new front-runner for #28. Political leadership in the city has, to this point, been very supportive of the efforts of the Taylor/Kavanaugh "MLS4THELOU" bid. I see it being more likely that said bid team is able to successfully achieve what it needs to accomplish before Nagle manages to secure a "whale" investor, or MLS qualms over playing in Ford Field are allayed.  

Further, St. Louis is a city with a long and rich tradition within the annals of American soccer history. I believe MLS Commissioner Don Garber would see granting an expansion franchise to the city as a "legacy" move on his part.

If St. Louis is tabbed as Major League Soccer's 28th franchise, I think divisional alignment would break down as follows:

Eastern Conference  
Atlanta United FC
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
D.C. United 
FC Cincinnati
Inter Miami CF
Montreal Impact
Nashville
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
Toronto FC

Western Conference
Austin FC
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Los Angeles FC
Los Angeles Galaxy
Minnesota United FC
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
St. Louis
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate why STL would be a good option, and why now it seems to have the support. But that's been the case in the past and it fell apart for groups. SAC lost their main investor and that's why they fell behind Nashville and Cincy. So things change and change rapidly.

My real wish would be for either SF or Detroit to get a team. Detroit, then, for a connecting rivalry with Minny and Chicago. 

But all of this to say I really don't see how MLS can continue to expand and not somehow invent a closed-system pro-rel. There are too many markets that could make for a good place for a team, like Sac, SF, Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, etc, etc. The closed pro-rel is how Korea's league system works. So then it's like two tiers, say each with 22 teams.

That, or my real wish is to have Western teams only play other Western teams, and Eastern terms only play Eastern teams. There could be some cross-over "series" like how MLB does it, but that way travel is less of a concern, which is presently probably one of the biggest impediments to the quality of the league: the physical demands of travel coupled with the demands of actually playing. The playoffs could work off a shared points table, or just the top four from each "league" like how Euro teams from bigger leagues qualify for the CL.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

If St. Louis does get an MLS team, I had assumed they would adopt the green and blue colors (and maybe the name) of Saint Louis FC.  But looking into the #mls4thelou movement for the first time, it looks like the colors of the city flag could be an interesting option:

mls4thelouscarveshats2*1200xx1800-1013-0-94.jpg

Reminds me of this

Colorado-Rapids-Player-Panorama.png

21 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Update with Austin FC Bright Verde and using colors from the TruColor website.

Man, I really like that Austin FC Bright Verde.

sypdkNm.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green | 2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green | Austin FC Bright Verde

How does the Dallas Stars' "Victory" Green compare? Seems a little richer than the Austin shade.

11 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

How does the Dallas Stars' "Victory" Green compare? Seems a little richer than the Austin shade.

5zMGHrB.png

Current Sounders Green | Current Seahawks Action Green | 2009-2011 Seahawks Bright Green

2002-2008 Seahawks Bright Green | Austin FC Bright Verde | Dallas Stars Victory Green

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

The Sounders just officially announced the new jersey sponsorship deal with Zulily:

The sponsorship also extends to the Reign, Seattle’s NWSL club. Also of note is that the logo on the shirt is a brand new logo for Zulily. Here’s their previous logo:

zulily-logo1.jpg?w=1000

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

Oh, that's very bad. But I never heard of this brand until now, so mission accomplished!

As a Timbers fan, I’m taking quite a bit of pleasure in seeing all of the negative reaction from Sounders fans. Zulily seems like a substantial downgrade from XBOX, and just seems like an odd fit all around.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

30 year old soccer fans are starting to have kids. Local company. I'll take it over a pyramid scheme any day. I do prefer the old Zulily logo.  This type face is a little jarring to say the least. Not very aggressive it athletic looking.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

3 minutes ago, lilgump said:

30 year old soccer fans are starting to have kids. Local company. I'll take it over a pyramid scheme any day. I do prefer the old Zulily logo.  This type face is a little jarring to say the least. Not very aggressive it athletic looking.

Huh?

Are you saying Xbox was/is a pyramid scheme? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

My bad, misunderstood what was meant. Carry on. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Zulily must be ponying up some major $$$ for this. I’m sad because all the chatter locally is they are an awful company to work for.

Oh, and the logo sucks. At least Xbox resonated with gamers who might just randomly choose to play as the Sounders on FIFA

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Oh, that's very bad. But I never heard of this brand until now, so mission accomplished!

From Wiki... "zulily's target audience is mothers who are on the lookout for unique brands and products for their children; their audience has also been described as "young, tech-savvy mothers". So, soccer moms? Has it really regressed back to this for soccer in the USA? 

I was really expecting it to be T Mobile or Amazon. I think both of their logos would look very clean on a kit provided they are allowed to re-color them to fit the scheme. But this Zulily logo really does not look good as a kit sponsor logo. It's not clean enough, and maybe it could fit some teams kits, but I don't think it suits itself to Seattle's green scheme. 

Imagine just the Amazon arrow, or the T Mobile logo (not the Telekom logo that Bayern uses since that's the German side of it). That could look very clean.

But this? 

It's a no from me, dog.

EDIT: and I also find it hilarious that every single sponsorship deal signed now is "groundbreaking" or "Landmark." Like, cool guys, you have a new kit sponsor. As if it was rare for that to happen.

spacer.png

One thing that Philly recoloring their sponsor logo gives me hope about is that LAFC might recolor the YT TV logo to be all gold, and not the red-and-white garbage.

It's better than when it first came out, but if it was all-gold, I think it would be one of the cleanest kits in the whole league. So the fact that Philly recolored their sponsor gives me hope.

spacer.png

Archived