MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This new sponsor definitely takes some of the shine off of the Sounders brand for me. I’m neither pro sponsor or anti sponsor, it’s just a part of the sport. But the Sounders were one of the poster boys for the league, playing in the big stadium with the loud colors, XBOX across their chest (a subsidiary of a Fortune top 50 brand). Now I can’t say I’ve even heard of their new sponsor. Wikipedia says Zulily sells clothing, toys, and home products. What about that relates to the Sounders brand or primary audience? How does that relate to who Zulily wants to reach? It makes no sense. Seattle should be able to sign someone bigger than this.

31 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

I was really expecting it to be T Mobile or Amazon. I think both of their logos would look very clean on a kit provided they are allowed to re-color them to fit the scheme. But this Zulily logo really does not look good as a kit sponsor logo. It's not clean enough, and maybe it could fit some teams kits, but I don't think it suits itself to Seattle's green scheme. 

Imagine just the Amazon arrow, or the T Mobile logo (not the Telekom logo that Bayern uses since that's the German side of it). That could look very clean.

But this? 

It's a no from me, dog.

EDIT: and I also find it hilarious that every single sponsorship deal signed now is "groundbreaking" or "Landmark." Like, cool guys, you have a new kit sponsor. As if it was rare for that to happen.

FWIW there have been reports that DC United and Amazon have been in talks for a potential sponsorship deal. No telling if that could be for whenever DCU's deal with Leidos expires, or once MLS will allow sponsor logos on the sleeves.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

FWIW there have been reports that DC United and Amazon have been in talks for a potential sponsorship deal. No telling if that could be for whenever DCU's deal with Leidos expires, or once MLS will allow sponsor logos on the sleeves.

They’d know better than to try that here. 

I just want to point out from a dollars perspective XBOX was paying $4million/year and that included sponsoring the pitch and tarps. And rumors are Zulily will be paying 6-10/ year just for the shirt. So potential for money money from other companies to pay more to sponsor the field and elsewhere.  

So it may not be a known brand like XBOX but should put more money in the Sounders pockets.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

They’d know better than to try that here. 

Are you talking about adding sponsor logos to the sleeves? If so, I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/24/mls-announces-new-sponsored-jersey-patch-beginning-2020

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Sounds like the Fire will have Motorola as their new jersey advertiser:

I could see that looking good on Chi's kits tbh if its Motorola's new logo, like Motorola Mobility. That could look clean as hell on a kit.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

After extensive research, this Zulily thing sounds like the sketchy parts of Groupon, QVC, and TJMaxx all mashed together, which isn’t making me feel better about the whole thing.

The funny thing is that Zulily was actually bought by QVC in 2015.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

This one? Sure would. 

319px-Motorola_logo.svg.png

That’s actually their old logo; here’s the current one (which I think is even better):

2000px-Motorola_new_logo.svg.png

And here’s what it could look like on Chicago’s new secondary shirt:

ivN9wE1.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Not sure I buy this, based on one poll... 

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. That percentage does seem high and I wish the author would link to the actual poll with methodology, instead of brandishing it as a wokeness shield. Anecdotally, though, I've found in-person MLS games to be noticeably more female than MLB and NBA games, and much younger at least than MLB. So of any sport, if I'm a Seattle-based women's retailer, that part makes some sense.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived