MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

8 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Needs some white or "space blue" or however they call it I think. 

Agreed. Even just some white piping on the collar and cuffs a la the Crew’s new primary shirt would make a pretty big difference IMO. And frankly if they did that I think some white shorts with black Adidas stripes would make for a really nice orange/white/orange combo with black accents.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First teaser of the new FCD secondary:

The article states that the kit is “inspired by the architecture and design throughout downtown Dallas”. The article also states that this first teaser image reveals a white base color for the shirt with blue Adidas stripes down the sides. Given the fact that they’re calling it the “Reunion Kit” and that it’s inspired by the architecture and design in downtown Dallas, I’d say there’s a good chance the shirt has the Reunion Tower, and maybe even the full Dallas skyline, sublimated onto the shirt. At the very least the shirt will almost surely make reference to the Reunion Tower in some way.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The article states that the kit is “inspired by the architecture and design throughout downtown Dallas”. The article also states that this first teaser image reveals a white base color for the shirt with blue Adidas stripes down the sides. Given the fact that they’re calling it the “Reunion Kit” and that it’s inspired by the architecture and design in downtown Dallas, I’d say there’s a good chance the shirt has the Reunion Tower, and maybe even the full Dallas skyline, sublimated onto the shirt. At the very least the shirt will almost surely make reference to the Reunion Tower in some way.

Do teams need to have a real name for every single kit? That's pretty dumb, innit?

spacer.png

On 2/1/2019 at 8:21 PM, Brian in Boston said:

I'd tend to agree with you. That being said, be forewarned... the following have all been registered with the United States Patent and Trademark office:

Nashville Beat
Nashville Groove
Nashville Honky Tonkers 
Nashville Vibe
Nashville Notes

God those names are all terrible....

I don't want to open up the whole European-style soccer names can-o-worms here, but can an Americanized name even work in soccer anymore? Twenty years ago, names like these Nashville options wouldn't have seemed so inane. But I also get how "Nashville Football Club" or "Atlanta United," et. al. are starting to feel played out. Inter Miami seems to be the start of some kind of middle ground in this, or at least a dose of variety. 

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. The vast majority of English Premier League clubs are "City/Locale + Football Club" or "City/Locale + United" or "City + City Football Club," with their identities centered more around colors and crest than any naming convention. 

18 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Teaser image for RSL’s new secondary:

real-salt-lake-2019-away-kit-2.jpg

Looks like a red collar and navy printing. Probably a good chance it’ll be pretty plain again, but not quite as plain as their outgoing secondaries.

Was really hoping for more color. Maybe Navy shorts or something. I'm just so tired of white kits across mls. RSL has a unique color pallet that they just don't want to use. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't want to open up the whole European-style soccer names can-o-worms here, but can an Americanized name even work in soccer anymore? Twenty years ago, names like these Nashville options wouldn't have seemed so inane. But I also get how "Nashville Football Club" or "Atlanta United," et. al. are starting to feel played out. Inter Miami seems to be the start of some kind of middle ground in this, or at least a dose of variety. 

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. The vast majority of English Premier League clubs are "City/Locale + Football Club" or "City/Locale + United" or "City + City Football Club," with their identities centered more around colors and crest than any naming convention. 

I think instead of more Uniteds or just “Location F/SC”, we should see a bit more teams with “Location City” - only Orlando (and NYCFC if you really want to be technical) use it.

ExJworW.png

9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I think instead of more Uniteds or just “Location F/SC”, we should see a bit more teams with “Location City” - only Orlando (and NYCFC if you really want to be technical) use it.

I've been pulling for Music City SC for this reason, it fits the mold but is still different enough to be distinctive in the overall context of the league. 

I don't even have that much of a problem with and MLS team using a more traditional American nickname, it's just that all of those potentially trademarked nicknames in particular are terrible. I guess Notes is the best of the worst, but definitely far from ideal. I'll be so mad if they screw this up. 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Yeah...this teaser significantly lowered my hopes for this kit. I'm not a fan of skyline kits in general, but especially in Dallas' case. Yes, the Reunion tower is distinctive as far as buildings go, but not necessarily attractive, like say the Bay Bridge or something.

I fear something that will end up looking like the Mavs alternates which I'm not big on.

The Galaxy are returning to having 5 stars on their jerseys, with the uppermost star in gold and the other 4 stars in silver:

The linked article in that tweet also states that their new secondary kit, which they’re calling “Night Navy”, will be revealed on Sunday the 17th.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just now, Digby said:

What's the significance of one gold star?

I assume the gold star is still supposed to signify their 5th championship, but it seems pretty pointless now that they have the other four stars back on the jerseys. Either have five silver stars or one gold star. Not one gold star AND four silver stars. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.   This is the way it was supposed to work:

Star-Explained.jpg

There’s a logic to this system.

So, the team with five championships has to wear a small gold star while the team coming off of their first championship gets a large gold star? I can see why the Galaxy went to five stars. The way they went about it is wrong, of course.

The defending champion should get a small gold star and all other championships should be represented by a small silver star. (Pretend the Galaxy only had four championships and just won their fifth.)

013019_LA_GALAXY_RM_0003%20(1).JPG

If they keep winning championships just keep adding stars like the Lakers.

121013court_06IMG_5758.jpg

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

So, the team with five championships has to wear a small gold star while the team coming off of their first championship gets a large gold star?

Yes - the large star is the MLS version of a scudetto.  Just not as garish.

I can see your objection, but I don't share it.  There's something cool about a defending champ wearing that badge of pride.

As for the Galaxy, I think five silver stars looks more impressive than one gold one.  But mixing and matching?  What's the point supposed to be?

MLS seems to have the rules in place and LA is just doing whatever they want.... cool. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes - the large star is the MLS version of a scudetto.  Just not as garish.

I can see your objection, but I don't share it.  There's something cool about a defending champ wearing that badge of pride.

As for the Galaxy, I think five silver stars looks more impressive than one gold one.  But mixing and matching?  What's the point supposed to be?

They should go back to the scudetto. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The point is to try to pitch/spin the idea of "there are two clubs in LA...the other one is hip and cool but we've WON MORE."

Galaxy have allegedly been losing the promotional battle between the two clubs now setup in the area, so they've gotta find some angle to leverage IMO.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived