MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

30 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

HoTtAkE.

Would any other manufacturer be any better? Nike used the same EXACT pattern for most of their national teams two cycles ago. We rag on Adidas but it's not like Adidas is any worse about re-using patterns than any other manufacturer. 

Nike's better when it comes to replicas matching authentics, but they're all about the same design wise. 2-3 shirt styles and a few designs spread out across multiple teams.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll have to wait to see the authentic shirt in person, but I think I might prefer the Montreal look better than Atlanta’s. I feel like the stripes on the sleeves paired with the same red adidas stripes makes it a tad cluttered. If Atlanta just reused that exact Milan kit with the fading stripes and gold adidas stripes, woo boy, that would be sexy. Nonetheless, I’m still pleased with our kit and looking forward to picking one up. I agree with others that the Montreal fade begins too high up the shirt (again, Milan’s application was perfect) but overall very nice look from them.

30 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Loons with another tease. The MLS badge is white and black. This has me very nervous that the badge will also be black and white. Please no!

The badge looks grey to me, honestly.

I don't think it'd make sense to do black-and-white crest with light blue accents, unless the front of the shirt has a black-centric pattern.

But yeah it just looks grey to me.

spacer.png

On 2/6/2019 at 6:30 AM, gosioux76 said:

I don't want to open up the whole European-style soccer names can-o-worms here, but can an Americanized name even work in soccer anymore? Twenty years ago, names like these Nashville options wouldn't have seemed so inane.

Most of the Americanized names in MLS are just fine: Sounders, Whitecaps, Timbers, Earthquakes, Crew, Impact...

"Americanized" names that wouldn't look out of place (from the lower divisions):

Sacramento Republic

Indy Eleven

Charlotte Independence

Las Vegas Lights

Phoenix Rising

New York Cosmos

Jacksonville Armada

Charleston Battery

Bethlehem Steel

Tulsa Roughnecks

Oakland Roots

etc. etc.

Just because Nashville Beat, Groove, Honky Tonkers, Vibe, and Notes would all be f'ing terrible names, doesn't mean it's not possible to have decent Americanized names.

2 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Most of the Americanized names in MLS are just fine: Sounders, Whitecaps, Timbers, Earthquakes, Crew, Impact...

"Americanized" names that wouldn't look out of place (from the lower divisions):

Sacramento Republic

Indy Eleven

Charlotte Independence

Las Vegas Lights

Phoenix Rising

New York Cosmos

Jacksonville Armada

Charleston Battery

Bethlehem Steel

Tulsa Roughnecks

Oakland Roots

etc. etc.

Just because Nashville Beat, Groove, Honky Tonkers, Vibe, and Notes would all be f'ing terrible names, doesn't mean it's not possible to have decent Americanized names.

Nashville Beat actually works. It reminds me of the Nashville Sounds baseball team. Vibe and Groove are okay, but Honky Tonkers is ridiculous.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Loons with another tease. The MLS badge is white and black. This has me very nervous that the badge will also be black and white. Please no!

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. A lot of the secondary shirts have the monochromatic MLS badges even when the team crests aren’t recolored. Plus, I’d be very surprised if they went with a monochromatic black and white crest when we know the kit has light blue accents. Here’s my updated mockup of what I think we can expect to see:

wKqbh1y.jpg

In addition to changing the MLS badges, I also changed all of the logos and names/numbers to black to match the MLS badges.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. A lot of the secondary shirts have the monochromatic MLS badges even when the team crests aren’t recolored. Plus, I’d be very surprised if they went with a monochromatic black and white crest when we know the kit has light blue accents. Here’s my updated mockup of what I think we can expect to see:

wKqbh1y.jpg

In addition to changing the MLS badges, I also changed all of the logos and names/numbers to black to match the MLS badges.

I'd be okay with this look. An actual Minnesota Black & Blue kit :)

32 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

wKqbh1y.jpg

although it doesn't have the wings, I do think this would be a pretty good looking kit, much better than their previous whites

FC Cincinnati posted this teaser yesterday that appears to give us our first glimpse at the white away shirt:

Here’s an edited version that someone posted on reddit:

giphy.gif

It looks to me like a white base with a blue crew neck collar and blue Adidas stripes. Here’s a quick mockup I made of what I think it could look like:

9mZH8oh.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The league needs to get away from all white kits. There are way too many in MLS. Throw in some contrasting shorts or socks. Something. Use other pale or light shade colors for the “light” kit (Columbus, Houston, NYCFC, Colorado, etc). I’m pretty sure like 75% of the league has a solid white kit. At the very least we need more stripes and patterns rather than plain boring white kits like Atlanta’s white with peach and New England’s faint stripe. More designs like LAG’s sash as well as Chicago and Vancouver’s chest stripes are awesome and I wish there were more of those, if we have to have more white kits.

16 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The league needs to get away from all white kits. There are way too many in MLS. Throw in some contrasting shorts or socks. Something. Use other pale or light shade colors for the “light” kit (Columbus, Houston, NYCFC, Colorado, etc). I’m pretty sure like 75% of the league has a solid white kit. At the very least we need more stripes and patterns rather than plain boring white kits like Atlanta’s white with peach and New England’s faint stripe. More designs like LAG’s sash as well as Chicago and Vancouver’s chest stripes are awesome and I wish there were more of those, if we have to have more white kits.

Agreed. I’ve accepted the fact that a lot of teams have, and will likely continue to have white kits, but at the very least it’d be nice to see some more prominent accent colors and/or tasteful graphic patterns (not the blood stain pattern that’s on RSL’s new shirt). Contrasting shorts would be great too, even if they’re only worn half the time with white shorts being worn for the other half. As a Timbers fan I’m glad the Timbers’ white kit has a healthy dose of green and gold accents by way of the collar and cuffs on the shirt and the stripes on the socks. And I’m especially glad that they do have a pair of green shorts to go with it, though I wish they’d wear them more often instead of defaulting to the all-white.

USATSI_10826910.jpg

AP18252165571270.jpg?w=620

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Sacramento Republic

Indy Eleven

Charlotte Independence

Las Vegas Lights

Phoenix Rising

New York Cosmos

Jacksonville Armada

Charleston Battery

Bethlehem Steel

Tulsa Roughnecks

Oakland Roots

etc. etc.

The Bethlehem Steel name is based on the historic team which was one of the most successful early American football clubs, and named after the Bethlehem Steel Corporation, who owned and founded the team before they went professional. Small thing, but I feel very strongly about people knowing early American soccer history, because I for one find it incredibly fascinating. Regardless, "Steel" is not a throwaway name. And I actually like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem_Steel_F.C._(1907–30)

In terms of opinion, I actually like Republic, Eleven, Battery, and Cosmos, for one, the first three because I think they actually sound good and reference actual things about their location (Republic cause Sacramento is the capital of California, the Eleven references the 11th Indiana Volunteers from the Civil War, and the Battery again references a Civil War piece of history in "The Battery," which was a heavily armed sea wall in Charleston), and the Cosmos, again, for the history and because it is actually a pretty cool sounding name. The Impact is an arbitrary name, and I like it and the club is one I root for when they're not playing LAFC, but it's cool when, if teams go the "Americanized" path, the name actually has anything to do with the city or location they are from. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

The Bethlehem Steel name is based on the historic team which was one of the most successful early American football clubs, and named after the Bethlehem Steel Corporation, who owned and founded the team before they went professional. Small thing, but I feel very strongly about people knowing early American soccer history, because I for one find it incredibly fascinating. Regardless, "Steel" is not a throwaway name. And I actually like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem_Steel_F.C._(1907–30)

In terms of opinion, I actually like Republic, Eleven, Battery, and Cosmos, for one, the first three because I think they actually sound good and reference actual things about their location (Republic cause Sacramento is the capital of California, the Eleven references the 11th Indiana Volunteers from the Civil War, and the Battery again references a Civil War piece of history in "The Battery," which was a heavily armed sea wall in Charleston), and the Cosmos, again, for the history and because it is actually a pretty cool sounding name. The Impact is an arbitrary name, and I like it and the club is one I root for when they're not playing LAFC, but it's cool when, if teams go the "Americanized" path, the name actually has anything to do with the city or location they are from. 

I'm just so bored of City Name FC or City Name United. Austin City Kickers would be a much better name than Austin FC because it's a play off of Austin City Limits Festival.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm just so bored of City Name FC or City Name United. Austin City Kickers would be a much better name than Austin FC because it's a play off of Austin City Limits Festival.  

See I completely disagree. Vast majority of the world's football clubs are some variation of FC, United, etc. I personally like it because I'm coming to MLS having been an English football fan for far longer. I think it's clean and respectable, and I doubt that, for example, ATL would be able to get any of the caliber of players they have if they had some (imo) dumb name attached. Atlanta United is clean, and some claim boring but then all of football in the world must be boring. I reject that idea.

Your specific example, personally, I really dislike. Austin FC is clean sounding, where Austin City Kickers makes me think of minor league baseball type name.

But this has been the constant debate over club names in the US. Personally I like the balance between the two, especially if the Americanized names have something cool behind them. I like Austin FC way better than anything else they likely would've come up with.

spacer.png

I'm really not liking the obsession with black or white in MLS. It started last year but I don't love that Atlanta and Montreal are both going so predominantly black on their shirts for this season, instead of their primary brand colors. I don't think every game needs to look like the NBA All-Star Game personally!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

17 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm really not liking the obsession with black or white in MLS. It started last year but I don't love that Atlanta and Montreal are both going so predominantly black on their shirts for this season, instead of their primary brand colors. I don't think every game needs to look like the NBA All-Star Game personally!

It was 100% a thing before then. DC United? Timbers rose secondaries? 

All of Vancouver's home kits have been more or less solid white.

So I reject the idea that it is wholly *new*, first off. I'd also argue that black is a major color aspect in both MTL's and ATL's identities.

Secondly, there is only so much color variety you can have in a league, especially one as large as MLS is now. People act as though it's an MLS problem, that it is indicative of a lack of creative vision on their part and the part of Adidas, but ALL leagues have arguably a similar problem, if you can even call it that. For example, Serie A: Sassuolo is Black-and-Green, Inter is Black-and-Blue, as is Atalanta, Milan is Black-and-Red, and both Juventus AND Udinese are black-and-white stripes, but I don't hear anyone giving any of them trouble over it. 

It's just because most people can agree that black paired with complimentary collars almost always looks tight.

spacer.png

Looks like Soccer.com accidentally jumped the gun and put the new Minnesota secondary up for sale already:

szLA485.jpg

0PguKxh.jpg

https://www.soccer.com/shop/details/adidas-minnesota-united-authentic-away-jersey-2019_A1029699

It looks like the shirt has a different graphic pattern than the one I used in my mockup, and it also has a v-neck collar instead of a crew neck, but otherwise it pretty much matches up with my mockup. The pattern sort of looks like it’s supposed to be feathers incorporated into diagonal stripes, but it’s hard to tell with how subtle it is.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived