MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Digby said:

FCC’s home looks good considering the bureaucratic limitations but it’s a little busy for an inaugural kit. The secondary...eek. Both lazy and busy (that awful pattern!) at the same time. Doesn’t Adidas have some teamwear that at least has blue trim?

There are at least a couple of white/blue teamwear options (Regista 18 and Tiro 17):

adidas-regista-18.jpg

adidas-tiro-17-jersey.jpg

Or they could’ve gone with the white/grey Campeon 19 jersey, which is based off of Germany’s home shirt:

campeon%2019%20wht-01.jpg

They also could’ve, and probably should’ve just used miTeam for the away kit just like the home kit. Even if they didn’t add any graphic pattern, they could’ve at least incorporated some blue and orange accents.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I know this is a losing battle and most of you soccer heads are so used to them you don't even think about it, but the Adidas stripes that appear on all of their shirts and shorts and socks are incredibly obtrusive. Is there a world where they'd ever consider not striping everything? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I know this is a losing battle and most of you soccer heads are so used to them you don't even think about it, but the Adidas stripes that appear on all of their shirts and shorts and socks are incredibly obtrusive. Is there a world where they'd ever consider not striping everything? 

I really dislike it as well. I don't understand why they can't be content like Nike, New Balance or UA, to just have their logo on the chest. Obtrusive sums it up nicely.

In general adidas kits since 2016 or so appear to cater more to the streetwear crowd. As a result,they've weakened the adidas stripe presence a lot,which makes it look like they've just shoehorned them in there at the last minute. They used to make the stripes another design element,essentially,which made them much less obtrusive.

40 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I 100% agree.  It bugs the hell out of me.  If they have to stripe it (and they don't), I wish they'd do more monochrome stripes so it doesn't dominate the design.

38 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I would settle for white on white, as Cincy's secondary kit has:

abc61e9c-748e-46b9-a9f3-9e64155c09fd-Scr

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

DzKkl7jWwAAdptv?format=jpg&name=large

Are the shapes meant to mean anything?  Not a fan.

Here are the best images yet of the Atlanta kit (replica level and missing some of the design aspects). Supposedly the shade of red looks slightly different according to those who have gotten their hands on it early but I’m wondering if it’s simply the different material causing it to appear that way. Also I’m hearing the gold has a little bit more sheen to it.

yUDHQ44.jpg

Rather than flat sublimated stripes, it’s a woven stripe creating a bit of a zip zag effect.

rmPXhWs.jpg

Here’s the upper back graphic with the “I” being the golden spike motif.

o1d0dx8.jpg

Images courtesy of JR Francis on one of the Atlanta United fan pages on Facebook.

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The NCAA and the Olympics require that Adidas not place the three stripes on game jerseys.  They are the only ones who have an actual rule on them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

FC Cincinnati is only selling replica versions of their new kits, because apparently that's all they got, and the players will be playing with those aswell.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/02/fc-cincinnati-will-wear-replica-quality-kits.html

Ouch.

I may be turning a bit on Cincinnati. I thought their USL run was amazing, but their entry to MLS hasn't been great. I once liked their logo but now hate it -- especially when shown in proximity to the MLS shield.

Their shirts are fine but boring. The aforementioned crest stinks. And they don't even have proper equipment for the players? What a clown show.

EDIT: Ripped from FootyHeadlines:

6ac4oUT.jpg

To me it's not even close. And I'm assuming that the Nike shirt was teamwear as well, but it at least had personality.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

FC Cincinnati is only selling replica versions of their new kits, because apparently that's all they got, and the players will be playing with those aswell.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/02/fc-cincinnati-will-wear-replica-quality-kits.html

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone here, as it’s exactly what Minnesota had with their inaugural MLS kits. If I remember correctly, MNUFC sold both authentic and replica versions of their inaugural shirts, but the only difference between them was that the authentic had the MLS badges on both sleeves while the replica only had the MLS badge on the right sleeve. The player-issued kits still featured the replica kit technology because they were both miTeam designs. The same is true now for Cincy, except their away shirt is a basic teamwear shirt instead of a miTeam design. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It boggles me that Adidas "needs" two years to create MLS kits that are color-swapped templates from other teams. This isn't rocket science FFS you're just making shirts.

Here’s a really insightful thread on the kit design and manufacturing process which helps explain why this is the case:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This part is particularly interesting.

That sounds like a cop out. I know that since adidas controls how the whole league looks they're in a stronger position than say if Man United wanted something but Cincy should have been able to say more about how they look.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Ouch.

I may be turning a bit on Cincinnati. I thought their USL run was amazing, but their entry to MLS hasn't been great. I once liked their logo but now hate it -- especially when shown in proximity to the MLS shield.

Their shirts are fine but boring. The aforementioned crest stinks. And they don't even have proper equipment for the players? What a clown show.

EDIT: Ripped from FootyHeadlines:

6ac4oUT.jpg

To me it's not even close. And I'm assuming that the Nike shirt was teamwear as well, but it at least had personality.

This is a club who's done everything right except logo and uniform design since day one. I wouldn't reflect too hard on how this speaks for them as an operation. I'm not a fan of the new logo, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the uniforms since they didn't have much time to prepare these. Surely, though, there was a better template option. Those stripes are reading as burnt orange from a distance and pink in the wrong lighting. Yikes. 

The good thing about templates and how frequently soccer teams change their looks is that these shouldn't be around too long. 

Their best set was their first set. 

Related image

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived