MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

It’s MISERABLY bad. Bottom 5 in the league, easily. 

I don't know if it is that bad. The lion is nicely rendered (albeit with some elementary drafting errors).  The colors are bold, complimentary, and original in MLS.  I also like the overall shape.  

It's just a little boring.

IMO, all these teams have worse crests than FCC: 

- Seattle

- Orlando

- SKC

- Houston

- New England

- LA Galaxy

- Chicago

- Montreal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

I don't know if it is that bad. The lion is nicely rendered (albeit with some elementary drafting errors).  The colors are bold, complimentary, and original in MLS.  I also like the overall shape.  

It's just a little boring.

IMO, all these teams have worse crests than FCC: 

- Seattle

- Orlando

- SKC

- Houston

- New England

- LA Galaxy

- Chicago

- Montreal

You forgot Columbus. As quirky as the original crest was that current crest is so boring.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

My first instinct is to defend Seattle, but then I forgot it really is a stupid logo. Overlapping shields and a Space Needle is so low effort. I hope they rebrand soon; they'll definitely sell a bunch of new stuff.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, Saathoff said:

Technically they do allow them. Adidas requires a combined sale of 100,000 units of primary/secondary jerseys every season to get a third kit. That's a worldwide requirement. No one in MLS even comes close. 

I still wish they treated MLS differently on that front but it is what it is. 

*sigh* I just want to see DC United to occasionally wear red and Red Bull to occasionally wear blue & yellow. C'mon Adidas. Be cool for once.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

You forgot Columbus. As quirky as the original crest was that current crest is so boring.

Interesting.  I’d put Columbus’ crest in my Top-5.  I think it’s great.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

My first instinct is to defend Seattle, but then I forgot it really is a stupid logo. Overlapping shields and a Space Needle is so low effort. I hope they rebrand soon; they'll definitely sell a bunch of new stuff.

As a Timbers fan, it’s painful to say anything nice about the Flounders.....

But they do have a good brand.  Their colors are great.  Their crest is just bad. It just is.

The Sounders are an interesting case because I'm generally tired of "generic soccer crest shape", but in Seattle's case the five-pointed blue snot rocket thing underneath everything is really odd and impossible to defend. And yeah, the Fightin' Space Needles isn't really much of a brand. My final complaint is that "rave green" looks too drab and olive in certain applications.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think using the Space Needle is great.  A solid icon for the city.

The two shields thing is an odd choice, though.  Seems to have been added just so they could get their second blue in there, and it isn't at all justified within the design.  Drop the pointy lower shield, reduce the ribbon size to match, and you've got a very solid look.

409px-Seattle_Sounders_FC.svg.png

18 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

It’s MISERABLY bad. Bottom 5 in the league, easily. 

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It's a middle-of-the-pack look. Heck, there are far worse designs still in use:

h8ga63uac257c37js2m47hqke.gif qtfoxrlfgs3gjvif4ao608tia.gif33279522014.gifumsypmvh1fcxyefrqcfio0yfy.gifugsnhv0oteegw8sjs3e4wivvg.gif

I don't get the hyperbolic disgust at it. Of course, with most recent crest reveals/updates being of such high caliber, it's easy for some to feel let down by one that doesn't completely measure up to the standard.

Yeah, I honestly find it laughable that people are claiming that this logo's aesthetics aren't fit to be in "the top league" when the MLS probably has the worst overall logo aesthetics in the five professional US sports leagues. 

There are maybe five really good crests in the league right now

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On the subject of the sounders logo, a few years ago Go Red Sox! created a really on point update of their crest on the concept boards that I think would elevate them to one of the best branded clubs in the league. Just a cleaner version of what they have now, no need for a massive overhaul. Same feeling for most of the clubs in the league. I'd say: Colorado, Montreal, San Jose, and Sporting are other similar examples of where some subtle tweaks could really fix their overall looks without changing too much. Even Chicago too, but New England needs a complete visual re-tooling.

This is the Sounders concept thread link: 

And here's the concept itself:

Seattle-Sounders-FC-primary_zpsvmhz6plb.

spacer.png

I think the new Cincy logo's alright.

Certainly an improvement over the huge "FC" and floating crown, but the text's still a bit too big. Honestly, I think they could ditch the shield and use just the lion ala Tottenham.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, Jarred Revolver said:

Whitecaps will have the blue hoop back on their new white home shirt 

I'm always in favor of a good fauxback! Yes please!

On 11/3/2018 at 7:20 PM, TenaciousG said:

I’m rooting for a Sounder Blue alternate for the Sounders. They haven’t had one since their inaugural MLS kits — long overdue.

I totally agree. I would love to see a blue jersey based on this USL-era jersey.

But alas, it seems my Sounders will fall prey to the MLS all-black plague:

Real bummer.

21 hours ago, vtgco said:

I think the new Cincy logo's alright.

Certainly an improvement over the huge "FC" and floating crown, but the text's still a bit too big. Honestly, I think they could ditch the shield and use just the lion ala Tottenham.

I'm always in favor of a good fauxback! Yes please!

I totally agree. I would love to see a blue jersey based on this USL-era jersey.

But alas, it seems my Sounders will fall prey to the MLS all-black plague:

Real bummer.

I actually liked Seattle's black uniforms. Particularity this set:

Seattle_Sounders_2014_Third_Jersey.jpg?_ 

The black Seattle set was probably their nicest alt:

Obafemi-Martins-Clint-Dempsey-Seattle-So

They looked awesome with those green shorts.

It's amazing a team with Clint Dempsey, Obafemi Martins and DeAndre Yedlin didn't win a title.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Not so great...

zcrs6fzxtky11.jpg

...the uneven and asymmetrical nature of the marks on the fur and face absolutely smells of downloading a comp from istock or shutterstock and autotracing the image into vector.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

On 11/13/2018 at 12:34 PM, Lafarge said:

Yeah, I honestly find it laughable that people are claiming that this logo's aesthetics aren't fit to be in "the top league" when the MLS probably has the worst overall logo aesthetics in the five professional US sports leagues. 

There are maybe five really good crests in the league right now

Different strokes, I emphatically disagree I think the MLS is loaded with sharp, clean crests.

547573932017.gif32590012016.gif662110012020.gif548055242018.gif628827592017.gif511960002015.gif513564862015.gif276142122018.gif283698422015.gif0gfaomjubvw58whdep6w.gifvk6eh75qeug9nejz5g4k1evlo.gif

I could be talked into including more. The Rapids, Crew, and Galaxy, for example, especially when compared to prior logos they had.  Overall, I'd say there's like only 5 MLS crests I don't like

90758391980.gif

13 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Not so great...

zcrs6fzxtky11.jpg

Agree 100% too much space dedicated to empty gray space. Overall I don't dislike the branding or name, but man, simplify it, because that does not look too hot.

Also I find it hilarious how new North American clubs literally do everything with their logos to "attach" them to local :censored:. Like Liverpool F.C. is the liverbird is from the Liverpool city crest, and then the light green bit is for the Shankly Gates. Two is enough, three things is pushing it but acceptable still, but these are just getting outright excessive. Like the Cincy logo, I don't hate to be clear it I think it's fine, but that press release was hilarious. Calm down boys. Surprised I haven't yet seen a meme where EVERYTHING about a crest is meant to signify something. 

spacer.png

12 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I actually liked Seattle's black uniforms. Particularity this set:

Seattle_Sounders_2014_Third_Jersey.jpg?_ 

Would not be upset if they decided to go that route (honestly it's what I hope Austin do with theirs), but I thought I saw somewhere that they weren't planning on renewing with Xbox. Was that just a rumor?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WarriorFight said:

Would not be upset if they decided to go that route (honestly it's what I hope Austin do with theirs), but I thought I saw somewhere that they weren't planning on renewing with Xbox. Was that just a rumor?

Nope. Adrian Hanauer said at the recent business meeting that negotiations are already in place for a new sponsor. 

Archived