MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

11 hours ago, upperV03 said:

This pennant gives us a pretty good idea of what the pattern on the Dynamo’s new primary will likely look like:

Dz0F-hsXQAAyug9?format=jpg&name=large

Tiger stripe pattern on a team called the Dynamo? Or is that subtle Zubaz?

I cannot wait to read the marketing-speak on this one.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

We’ve reached critical levels of the white kit epidemic.

When you see them all lined up like this, it’s pretty damning.

I will give kudos to Chicago, LA Galaxy, and Vancouver for at least doing something with their designs. The rest are too generic and could do with a simple color swap and be any team’s kit.

kit-rules-gone-too-far-almost-all-mls-te

17 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Someday we will tell tales of MLS’s “white period.”

Which overall all surprises me. For a league that has adopted European style club names as its aged, they have stayed away from kits of non-club colors for the most part. My dream is a DC United kit that takes inspiration from Congress like the Caps and Wizards did and produce a blue and bronze secondary. 

I think we're living in that awkward time where the MLS has cognitive dissonance. They're still trying to reconcile the differences between European and North American sporting culture. They emulate European clubs to try to seem 'legitimate' on an international stage, but still abide by a lot of the North American conventions. This is a side effect of that. I think a lot of these clubs are still stuck in the mindset that one of your uniforms HAS to be white, like every other North American league.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I think we're living in that awkward time where the MLS has cognitive dissonance. They're still trying to reconcile the differences between European and North American sporting culture. They emulate European clubs to try to seem 'legitimate' on an international stage, but still abide by a lot of the North American conventions. This is a side effect of that. I think a lot of these clubs are still stuck in the mindset that one of your uniforms HAS to be white, like every other North American league.

This just seems like a bit of an overcorrection, and probably the only thing in the past 10-15 years in which the league has swung back toward NA big four traditions and not further into global football ones.

I've said this elsewhere but I wonder how much of it is the league seeing branding benefits in going more toward the classic white-with-colors-swapped template. I know when I first got into global soccer, the clash kits being totally different was a hard thing to get used to -- you learn the traditions of Arsenal wearing yellow with navy on the road, of course, but to the American interloper at first it was very weird. I know MLS has not prioritized converting the unconverted in recent years, but maybe this is part of going in that direction again? Like do they think it's confusing the marketplace to present Colorado as yellow and blue sometimes, Portland as black and red sometimes, New England as red sometimes? Better to pick one or two colors and own them through and through?

I can just as easily pick this idea apart -- Vancouver and SKC's out-of-nowhere charcoal greys, Atlanta using "peach" instead of team-color accents on its white kit, every trend happening in the NBA. But still, a theory worth considering, maybe.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Looks like NYCFC has light blue clash shorts for their new primaries instead of the white clash shorts they had with their last primaries:

Dz4Nd5DXQAEceaR?format=jpg&name=large

Dz4Nd13WwAEdocW?format=jpg&name=large

I’m pretty dissapointed by this, as I loved the light blue/white/light blue combo with their last primaries and was hoping they’d have that option again with the new kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I tend to like all of NYC’s primary kit combinations, but definitely prefer the light blue shirt and socks paired with white shorts. Next would probably be the navy blue shorts, also an exceptional look but I’d rate the white shorts just a touch higher. Last would be the light blue shorts, but I still tend to like them.

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Few more leaked images of the replica version of LAFC’s new secondary:

los_angeles_fc_2019_adidas_away_kit_a.jp

los_angeles_fc_2019_adidas_away_kit_b.jp

los_angeles_fc_2019_adidas_away_kit_c.jp

I really like it. The grey doesn't bother me, and the red in the YT logo looks miles better with the gray-scale than having it clash with the gold accents we had last year.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

That was how the league was in 1996 as well so apparently we're starting to see them cycle back to that. At least they kept colored shorts back then.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Looks like the Dynamo are unveiling their new kit tomorrow:

And some additional info on the design:

And again, here’s my mockup, which @DynamicFoxtrot has said is very close to the real thing:

ZZVfhGO.jpg

It just looks like the shirt is wrinkled. Not a great look. 

As for Nashville..... WHY!? 

Archived