MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

On 11/13/2018 at 7:58 AM, Gothamite said:

I think using the Space Needle is great.  A solid icon for the city.

The two shields thing is an odd choice, though.  Seems to have been added just so they could get their second blue in there, and it isn't at all justified within the design.  Drop the pointy lower shield, reduce the ribbon size to match, and you've got a very solid look.

409px-Seattle_Sounders_FC.svg.png

As someone who's lived in Seattle for nearly 30 years, I'd disagree on the Space Needle being a solid icon for the team. 

1. The team is the Sounders (Puget Sound). I feel an icon more consistent with the water/sea would be better (ie. old Sounders used an Orca)

2. The Needle is located at the opposite end of town from where the Sounders play. So unlike the Sonics who played in the shadow of the Needle, there is no proximity between the two in the town itself. That being said the original Sounders did play at the base of the Needle are various times in their existence but Sounders FC do not have that connection.

3. The Needle is more what tourists think of being Seattle than what Seattlites think of being Seattle (like Pike's Market or Grunge). Not bad in and of itself but using it seems more like something a designer from L.A. or New York would design for Seattle than what an actual Seattle designer would design for Seattle. 

In any event, I would agree that the double shield and even the ribbon are more of an issue visually. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

As someone who's lived in Seattle for nearly 30 years, I'd disagree on the Space Needle being a solid icon for the team. 

1. The team is the Sounders (Puget Sound). I feel an icon more consistent with the water/sea would be better (ie. old Sounders used an Orca)

2. The Needle is located at the opposite end of town from where the Sounders play. So unlike the Sonics who played in the shadow of the Needle, there is no proximity between the two in the town itself. That being said the original Sounders did play at the base of the Needle are various times in their existence but Sounders FC do not have that connection.

3. The Needle is more what tourists think of being Seattle than what Seattlites think of being Seattle (like Pike's Market or Grunge). Not bad in and of itself but using it seems more like something a designer from L.A. or New York would design for Seattle than what an actual Seattle designer would design for Seattle. 

In any event, I would agree that the double shield and even the ribbon are more of an issue visually. 

You've lived in Seattle 30 years and you still say "Pike's Market?"

4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Different strokes, I emphatically disagree I think the MLS is loaded with sharp, clean crests.

547573932017.gif32590012016.gif662110012020.gif548055242018.gif628827592017.gif511960002015.gif513564862015.gif276142122018.gif283698422015.gif0gfaomjubvw58whdep6w.gifvk6eh75qeug9nejz5g4k1evlo.gif

I could be talked into including more. The Rapids, Crew, and Galaxy, for example, especially when compared to prior logos they had.  Overall, I'd say there's like only 5 MLS crests I don't like

I agree with you, but even many of these would be better served by eliminating the city identifiers. The Union would look great with just the snake shield, Atlanta could use just the inner circle with the A and black-and-red stripes. The Eagle for D.C. United could stand alone without the wordmark. I'm not sure how Miami intends to use the crest on its uniforms, but I'd be disappointed if it uses the entire roundel and not just the inner shield. 

Madison, Wisconsin's USL League One club has announced their name and logo. Madison's official city bird is the pink plastic flamingo thanks to a prank at UW long ago. The city flag is also represented nicely. I like the art deco style, the colors, and the name. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm not a huge fan of the rays on the top half or the scales/feathers in the middle.  

Madison_Brand_Unveiling-Final4_large.jpg

They've had great social media thus far, and really enjoy making fun of logo explainers.

DsTPgw0XcAITwr-.jpg

Wow that logo and tongue-in-cheek presentation is great. Nice job Madison.

Also I think this is an unpopular opinion in Minnesota but I think the MNUFC crest should lose the star and initials. The initials don't add anything and look very 2010s and the star looks awkward and out of place, especially when they win an MLS Cup, what, they're going to have a five point star over the logo which already includes a six point star? (Which, rebranding retcon to the contrary, is not the North Star but represents the 2011 NASL championship). 

57 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Madison, Wisconsin's USL League One club has announced their name and logo. Madison's official city bird is the pink plastic flamingo thanks to a prank at UW long ago. The city flag is also represented nicely. I like the art deco style, the colors, and the name. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm not a huge fan of the rays on the top half or the scales/feathers in the middle.  

Madison_Brand_Unveiling-Final4_large.jpg

They've had great social media thus far, and really enjoy making fun of logo explainers.

DsTPgw0XcAITwr-.jpg

That is classic!

OAN: Pink is the new black. Book it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Wow that logo and tongue-in-cheek presentation is great. Nice job Madison.

Also I think this is an unpopular opinion in Minnesota but I think the MNUFC crest should lose the star and initials. The initials don't add anything and look very 2010s and the star looks awkward and out of place, especially when they win an MLS Cup, what, they're going to have a five point star over the logo which already includes a six point star? (Which, rebranding retcon to the contrary, is not the North Star but represents the 2011 NASL championship). 

I think you could lose the lettering, but the star serves a purpose (balancing the "shield" shape and representing the North Star.

For people who don’t get the reference, two students from the prankster Pail and Shovel Party covered the main hill on campus with a thousand pink plastic lawn flamingos on the first day of classes, 1979. 

900fdf38-9767-11de-93e0-001cc4c002e0.ima

(One of those guys went on to help found Mystery Science Theater 3000.)

It’s since become something of a tradition since then, to the point where the plastic lawn flamingo was named the official bird of Madison. 

flamingos.jpg

Add the flag of Madison to the mix, and they’ve come up with a crest that’s uniquely Madison. 

1280px-Flag_of_Madison,_Wisconsin_(adopt

Seriously, that’s brilliant.  Well done, Mr. Wilt. 

903A8133_0436_4BE6_81B5_8330E41D6A74.0.p

Overall good look, great color scheme, but don't like the interior lines around the beak and eye. Also don't know how the elongated vertical crest deal will look like on a kit (hope they do the flamingo solo standing a-la Liverpool or Tottenham for the sake of simplicity). 

Should start a USL thread for it, but I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of USL stuff until December prolly when MLS stuff for 2019 starts leaking. Not a bad thing, but kind of want to get to the real meat of it, especially since my team got knocked out the playoffs already. Salty fan wants to jump-cut to the new season.

spacer.png

Don't know how often footyheadlines is wrong, not often I believe, but I'm skeptical. The orange is yellowed and paler than the official color, though that could be this particular image, and the flag tag and neck text are missing. I've never seen that navy-orange-navy stripe before. Although it does follow their guidelines that orange must never touch sky blue. 

r8wicvqbaa021.jpg?width=550&auto=webp&s=

Archived