MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnati will release their kits according to the team in mid February, which means I wont be getting what i want for Christmas.

Damn. You guys getting the LAFC kit treatment yeah? At least they were up front about it.

But also isn't that typical? Like the first kits aren't usually fully announced until January 1st, and then it takes like, what, another two weeks for them to put them in the store? I won't be able to get my new LAFC duds until then.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They hadn’t already?

They banned smoking in the stands, but apparently now they've banned it all throughout the stadium property. Like you used to be able to smoke in specific areas in the concourse I think, but not anymore. It's banned altogether.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

They banned smoking in the stands, but apparently now they've banned it all throughout the stadium property. Like you used to be able to smoke in specific areas in the concourse I think, but not anymore. It's banned altogether.

Even so, I’m still surprised that they hadn’t already.  

17 hours ago, upperV03 said:

With Atlanta and Portland advancing to MLS Cup, we’re likely to get the same kit matchup that we got back in June when the two teams played:

Atlanta and Portland have two of the best primary kits in the league right now, so it’s a shame we likely won’t get to see both of them in their primaries in the final. The only way I could see the league allowing the Timbers to wear their primary green in the final is if they pair the green jerseys with white shorts and socks, something they haven’t done at all this season. I’d be willing to bet they’ll just go all-white again. Even if that’s the case, it’ll still be a pretty good looking matchup, just as it was back in June.

Works for me. It's funny because I wish MLS would mandate light/dark change kits, but not have so much dang white, and I thought the Timbers would be a good candidate for a yellow/athletic gold away kit ... and I always loved their "rose red on the road" aesthetic too. But despite all that their white kits are possibly the best in the league, for that category.

(I'd also say, in the unpopular opinion camp, that the home is really nice but it's a little bit drab for me, without any white or brighter gold to break up the dark colors.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 11/30/2018 at 11:21 PM, Digby said:

Works for me. It's funny because I wish MLS would mandate light/dark change kits, but not have so much dang white, and I thought the Timbers would be a good candidate for a yellow/athletic gold away kit ... and I always loved their "rose red on the road" aesthetic too. But despite all that their white kits are possibly the best in the league, for that category.

(I'd also say, in the unpopular opinion camp, that the home is really nice but it's a little bit drab for me, without any white or brighter gold to break up the dark colors.)

Personally I like the darker green and gold combo, but I can see why the brighter green was popular. Personally, I think the darker shade manages to keep them a bit more visually distinct from Seattle, who also run with bright (though not as bright) green.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Personally I like the darker green and gold combo, but I can see why the brighter green was popular. Personally, I think the darker shade manages to keep them a bit more visually distinct from Seattle, who also run with bright (though not as bright) green.

Yeah, that's totally fair. I've always wanted Portland to go for yellowish athletic gold as the trim color, but they keep going to the extremes on either side of that!

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, that's totally fair. I've always wanted Portland to go for yellowish athletic gold as the trim color, but they keep going to the extremes on either side of that!

Yeah, like the classic old logo. I think that would be best of both worlds.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Well clearly the Red Bulls are now using the all red kit as their primary. They are due to replace the white kit for this season. I wonder if they will just replace it with another white kit, or do something different now.

I imagine they'll keep the white since it's the default for all Red Bull clubs unless they spontaneously decide to change their gambit. I think the red is flames but I don't see them dropping white for anything, but they may well swap the two in terms of being Primary and Secondary sets.

spacer.png

That was fast. I always like a racing stripe, but agree that it would look better with the Adidas stripes on the shoulder. Much like that PSG-esque kit the Revs wore for a couple years, to have a vertical design stripe plus the side stripes makes for too many vertical elements that don't quite fit together in my view. But I don't expect racing stripes to be left strictly to Nike.

I like the racing stripe for NYCFC, and I love that mosaic pigeon jock tag graphic, but I too think that the shirt would look much better with the Adidas stripes on the shoulders rather than down the sides. I also think the shirt is in desperate need of some sort of trim on the collar and/or sleeve cuffs. Navy sleeve cuffs like on the now-old primary jerseys would look great here, but I even think some thin navy piping on the collar and cuffs would go a long way towards completing the look. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here’s confirmation of the kit matchup for Saturday’s MLS Cup between Atlanta and Portland:

MLSCup_jerseys_Formatted.jpg

As expected, it’s the same kit matchup as the game between the two teams back in June, except the Timbers’ keepers will be in orange this time around (both teams’ keepers were in blue for that game). Speaking of the Timbers’ keepers being in orange for this game, this’ll be the first (and obviously only) time all season that they’re wearing the orange keeper kit colorway. That’s really the only colorway that provides sufficient contrast with both teams’ outfield kits, the blue keeper kits for Atlanta, and the yellow ref shirts, so I’m guessing the league made them get the orange keeper kits specifically for this game.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

VERY Casual American Soccer fan here (GO RSL!): What are the rules of keepers kits? Just contrasting colors than the rest of the team? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 minutes ago, kimball said:

VERY Casual American Soccer fan here (GO RSL!): What are the rules of keepers kits? Just contrasting colors than the rest of the team? 

The main thing is that they need to provide sufficient contrast from both teams’ outfield kits, but they’re also supposed to contrast with the other team’s keeper kit, as well as the ref kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

If I recall correctly, someone once found an MLS keeper kit at a Ross shop or whatever like that, that had "Place MLS badge here" printed where the badge would be. Since then I've assumed all the keeper kits, since there are only 4 templates or whatever, are pretty centralized. Seems like you could do the printing at the team shop.

I wonder what would have happened if Portland still used the red and black away kit. Much as I miss how Portland had a different but distinctive road look, I'm glad we didn't have to deal with that here.

44 minutes ago, Digby said:

I wonder what would have happened if Portland still used the red and black away kit. Much as I miss how Portland had a different but distinctive road look, I'm glad we didn't have to deal with that here.

The Timbers likely would’ve worn this combo, which they wore last season at Philadelphia and San Jose:

San-Jose-Earthquakes-versus-Portland-Tim

That certainly wouldn’t have been ideal, but it would’ve provided enough contrast from Atlanta’s red and black kit if necessary.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived