MLB Logo Tweaks & Redesigns - Anaheim added 4/30

mcrosby

Since finishing my NFL Redesign I haven't taken on any large projects. With baseball season gone I've found myself missing it, and missing the best designed league in the world. 

Iconic logos abound, near perfect designs, and more history than anyone would know what to do with...

...so why not redesign the whole league? 

First up: Oakland Athletics

The A's have had at least as many cap logos as they've had cities, and they've not yet perfected it. Time to lean into the green and yellow. Time to endear themselves to Oakland (before they find yet another home field). 

TL2oM56.gif

Very, very well done. Oakland looks excellent, and you’ve taken an iconic logo in the Yankees’ and still managed to perfect it while keeping its essence intact. If this great work is any indication, this is going to be an awesome series! Looking forwards to more!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like it, but I worry some more gutter-minded folks might see something lewd in the outline of the Capitol Building.

How about having the middle of the W peak with a point, a la the Washington Monument?

That's what I really wanted to do, but the Capitals did it so well already. 

capitals-winter-classic-jersey-2014-head

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Washington Nationals

The Nationals (or Senators if you want to go way back) have had two looks: Walgreens and Boring. I wanted to move away from Walgreens but not move too far into Boring.

I'm not 100% sold on the blue stroke yet.

webp.net-gifmaker__2_.gif

I sorta like this. I agree with the stroke. I think it's too thin. Maybe make a lil' thicker?

If anything, it maybe the font you choose for the W. I don't really like it.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I'll tinker with some other Washington concepts. I'm really liking it without the stroke, but I also think the Nats should be RWB. Until then...

Anaheim Angels

The ANAHEIM Angels started with a beauty of a logo. I wanted to go back to that look, but integrate the halo. This leads to the formation of two A's in one. I also wanted to stick with red as their primary color.

webp.net-gifmaker__3_.gif

v1kr89ffughm9tbnghqi.jpg

My thoughts thus far:

Oakland: I rather like the removal of white and the oak leaf apostrophe/old English “s.” My one problem is that the “A” is a bit on the gangly side (compared to the more compact “A” of the 1970s-‘80s). Reducing its width would improve it immensely. I would also try to incorporate the white elephant into the design somehow.

Yankees: As somebody who has  also attempted a merger of the different “NY” logos, I really like your take on it. I opted for a straight crossbar on my “N,” but the slightly curved one looks good as well. I would prefer more flares on the top and bottom of the long bars of the “N” (like the print logo). Still, I like it.

Nationals: I get what you’re going for, but I don’t like the execution. The block W is too generic. Something with more embellishements or serifs would look better. The Capitol Building is a nice touch, but it needs a thicker outline.

Angels: I get what you’re going for here, but I don’t like the execution. Using the Tuscan-style font brings the Angels right back to their Red Sox clone look. I don’t think that’s a good direction to take the team. Using an “A” that looks more like the current one (albeit without bevelinh) would be a better course of action.

I’m looking forward to the rest of your designs, but I’m hesitant to give it universal praise.

22 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Washington Nationals

The Nationals (or Senators if you want to go way back) have had two looks: Walgreens and Boring. I wanted to move away from Walgreens but not move too far into Boring.

I'm not 100% sold on the blue stroke yet.

webp.net-gifmaker__2_.gif

The Caps should have used this for the WC. This is really nice.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Angels: I get what you’re going for here, but I don’t like the execution. Using the Tuscan-style font brings the Angels right back to their Red Sox clone look. I don’t think that’s a good direction to take the team. Using an “A” that looks more like the current one (albeit without bevelinh) would be a better course of action.

I agree with this...the Tuscan-style also makes it look a little bone-y. It's a good idea, and great presentation, but something just seems odd about it.

Also, I think the inside outline of the halo is too pointed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I agree with this...the Tuscan-style also makes it look a little bone-y. It's a good idea, and great presentation, but something just seems odd about it.

Also, I think the inside outline of the halo is too pointed.

Trying out some new fonts now. Any suggestions? 

17 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

Can we see how the A's logo would manifest on a white or yellow background?

ccFS85V.png

Archived