Potential CFL Halifax Names

M4One

I'm still not convinced that the team will ever happen, especially considering it's a pair of former Arizona Coyotes owners who are involved, but they are starting up a ticket drive and a name the team contest, with the name to be revealed Nov. 23 during the Grey Cup.  Some of the potential names include the Atlantic Admirals, Convoy, Storm, and Schooners.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Atlantic Storm"? That's not a sports team, that's a lifestyle brand. I'd go with something Halifax over "Atlantic," which looks stupid alongside other location names because it's an adjective and not a noun. The old AHL Halifax Citadels was a perfect name, but likely out of play. "Halifax Maritimers" gets around feeling like PEI is left out but it's a mouthful. "Privateers" just says we're out of all the other pirate words. Taking the good old Schooners out of mothballs might be the best bet after all.

Off-the-wall idea: on the heels of the Ottawa Redblacks, where we're just taking two words and car-crashing them together, what about the Halifax Newscots?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm actually thinking that the temporary stadium for the CPL's Halifax Wanderers could/will become a larger more permanent thing with this coming into play. 

To the point about the name: I mean, is there any other name than Atlantic Schooners? For us CFL fans it's totally been one of those quirky things (one of many) that's just too good to pass on

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

275px-HFX_Wanderers_FC_logo.png

Wow, that's really good! Bridge to Dartmouth, the Gaelic motto (I dunno what it means but I know a "aigh" when I see it), Citadel Hill, no one's topping that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Wow, that's really good! Bridge to Dartmouth, the Gaelic motto (I dunno what it means but I know a "aigh" when I see it), Citadel Hill, no one's topping that.

Agreed. It's a terrific logo. Incidentally, the Scottish Gaelic motto translates to "Our harbour, our home, our soul."

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Off-the-wall idea: on the heels of the Ottawa Redblacks, where we're just taking two words and car-crashing them together, what about the Halifax Newscots?

Goooooo News Cots!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know if it actually holds as much value as the owners/CFL seem to think it does but they are going with Atlantic or something regional, I'm sure of that. I mean, the ownership group is called Maritime Football, all signs seem to point to a regional name. They want to appeal to more than just Halifax/Nova Scotia.

Personally i'm sure that if they used Halifax or Nova Scotia, that wouldn't really change things but that seems to be the belief. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Wasn’t there already a team, or an usused logo for Atlantic schooners? Like in the 90s?

There was a conditionally approved team that was going to go with that name. You probably saw this logo:

AtlanticSchooners.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners 

2 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

There was a conditionally approved team that was going to go with that name. You probably saw this logo:

AtlanticSchooners.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners 

Looks alright, why not just use this for expansion?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Looks alright, why not just use this for expansion?

Not sure who owns that logo? 

I'd say it could be cleaned up and they should consider different colours (too close to Winnipeg IMO) but yeah, they sure have a starting point at the very least there. 

I like Atlantic Admirals. Has a nice ring to it. Nice to see balanced divisions.

West

BC Lions

Edmonton Eskimos

Calgary Cowboys

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Saskatchewan RoughRiders

East

Atlantic Admirals

Montreal Alouettes

Toronto Argonauts

Ottawa RedBlacks

Hamilton Tiger Cats

I made a comment earlier in this thread about a stadium at the site of the Wanderers grounds. Looks like I was off on that.

I completely missed that Halifax regional council voted to complete a review of a  for a 24,000-seat facility to be built at Shannon Park.

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/9001410-for-halifax-s-cfl-expansion-bid-stadium-a-very-critical-part-ambrosie/

Archived