Mac the Knife

Introducing the Cedar Rapids River Blecch

Recommended Posts

That new logo is a mile above the old one. Took a small arena team from local community college logo to a sharp minor-league logo. Love the color scheme.*EDIT* Should have known it was none other than Brian Gundell.  

 

FoBqJd5.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the elements shown separately, but for some reason not together. It's a nice, polished logo...don't get me wrong...it just seems like a case of the client saying, "hey...please combine Concept 1 and Concept 2 together."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

I like the elements shown separately, but for some reason not together. It's a nice, polished logo...don't get me wrong...it just seems like a case of the client saying, "hey...please combine Concept 1 and Concept 2 together."

Agree with all that, and the jaw looks to be dropping instead of hinging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Cedar Rapids River Chargers

 

Hey, it scans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Derek said:

Agree with all that, and the jaw looks to be dropping instead of hinging.

I think if you closed the jaw, the cat would be eating its own nose. I think it looks pretty solid overall, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Cedar Rapids River Chargers

We're coming your way... we're gonna dazzle you with our play... the time has come...you know we're shooting for number one

Thunderbolts and lightning...will light up the sky-yi-yi-yi... we'll give it all we've got and more with a River Chaaaaarger try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I think if you closed the jaw, the cat would be eating its own nose. I think it looks pretty solid overall, though.

 

I didn’t say close the mouth, I said hinge properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Derek said:

 

I didn’t say close the mouth, I said hinge properly.

I was agreeing with you. I just meant that if the jaw were actually hinged properly with the way it's drawn, it would have a massive overbite.

 

I thought it was sort of heraldic, and after looking at the designer's Twitter, they were going for a Czech vibe because of the area's Czech roots. I don't think it's perfect, but it's still a good logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 2:22 AM, Bradbury said:

I may be seeing something that's not there, but...

k9OHBVO.jpg

Otherwise, it's a good look.

 

 

Only thing is the wavy pattern. But that's hardly enough to make one logo the same. MS has their R and K drop down and larger than the CR team. Plus, CR is an entirely different font and both clearly show the different location name. Plus, the use of accent notches are different. MS has one on the top right of the I, while CR has one on the bottom right of the S.

 

My only complaint about CR/RK is that there's too much space left unused in the middle of the wordmark. Looks like it's missing something. Maybe a smallish white outline of the primary logo, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 4:31 AM, Cosmic said:

I think if you closed the jaw, the cat would be eating its own nose. I think it looks pretty solid overall, though.

 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:43 AM, Derek said:

 

I didn’t say close the mouth, I said hinge properly.

 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, Cosmic said:

I was agreeing with you. I just meant that if the jaw were actually hinged properly with the way it's drawn, it would have a massive overbite.

 

I thought it was sort of heraldic, and after looking at the designer's Twitter, they were going for a Czech vibe because of the area's Czech roots. I don't think it's perfect, but it's still a good logo.

Yeah I think it's a great combo of modern and heraldic and that's why the jaw is that way.

2000px-Heraldic_Lion_02.svg.png

 

It's also a huge improvement over the Titans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

 

 

Yeah I think it's a great combo of modern and heraldic and that's why the jaw is that way.

2000px-Heraldic_Lion_02.svg.png

I really do think it's pretty good, but they took it a little too far with the jaw. It looks like a nutcracker. Or an adjustable wrench on its widest setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jaw doesn’t bother me. What I think is the problem is that we’re getting too much “chest,” which is okay when the lion is on its own, but not so much when it drops into the wordmark or the river on the shield. Doesn’t flow well. Really needed a “face only” version of that lion to go on the shield. As mentioned already it was probably the client basically wanting A slapped on B and not letting the thing develop organically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now