Our Talk with Adidas about the NHL Digital 6 Uniform Project

SportsLogos.Net News

Our Talk with Adidas about the NHL Digital 6 Uniform Project

November 10, 2018 - 14:40 PM

Earlier this week Adidas, the NHL, and EA Sports together unveiled a unique new concept, six digital-only uniforms for hockey’s historic “Original* Six” franchises, uniforms designed to be used by players of EA Sports’ NHL19 video game. For these six […]

Read More...

Since they are video game only, they should have gone full Turn Ahead The Clock.

The Rangers uniform is the closest to that, but it should have been white from the waist down with blue sock stripes and white skates to match the logo. And the left-hand glove should have been red. 

This is a great idea...a fantastic "tool" for the NHL and Adidas to explore new uniform looks without actually putting them on the ice.

From Chris's article..."This was an opportunity to try something completely off-the-wall and just let the creative process fly..."

Like I said...a great idea, but I would have liked to have seen a little more "off-the-wall" in this effort.

Leafs... I like the idea of referencing the Canadian Summit Series sweaters. I did something like that back in 2015 for a Leafs' 100th anniversary contest over at Uniwatch...

m1h6e7A.jpg

I think there could have been a little more uniqueness to the design rather than just a recolouring of the original Summit sweater.

Red Wings... Nice, but it seems like we've seen this before...More of a throwback design rather than an off-the-wall effort.

Bruins...I like the idea of the concept. The "B" circled by the 13 stars would have looked beauty on its own on the front. The stripes really distract from that logo. The stripes would have looked better IMO on the arms and socks, giving the socks more of a contrast to the shorts...(Like a lot of us liked with the old Bruins' socks)...(BTW...On the regular Bruins' home unis...Bring back the old socks!)

Rangers...For something a little different...This one's the best of the bunch!

Montreal and Chicago.........

31 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

This is a great idea...a fantastic "tool" for the NHL and Adidas to explore new uniform looks without actually putting them on the ice.

From Chris's article..."This was an opportunity to try something completely off-the-wall and just let the creative process fly..."

Like I said...a great idea, but I would have liked to have seen a little more "off-the-wall" in this effort.

Leafs... I like the idea of referencing the Canadian Summit Series sweaters. I did something like that back in 2015 for a Leafs' 100th anniversary contest over at Uniwatch...

m1h6e7A.jpg

I think there could have been a little more uniqueness to the design rather than just a recolouring of the original Summit sweater.

Red Wings... Nice, but it seems like we've seen this before...More of a throwback design rather than an off-the-wall effort.

Bruins...I like the idea of the concept. The "B" circled by the 13 stars would have looked beauty on its own on the front. The stripes really distract from that logo. The stripes would have looked better IMO on the arms and socks, giving the socks more of a contrast to the shorts...(Like a lot of us liked with the old Bruins' socks)...(BTW...On the regular Bruins' home unis...Bring back the old socks!)

Rangers...For something a little different...This one's the best of the bunch!

Montreal and Chicago.........

There was plenty of off-the-wall, but the teams still had to be comfortable enough to approve them. Most of the teams erred toward the most classic or conservative option they were shown (one of them was even designed by the team because they weren’t into the options we showed them). While it’s not as off-the-wall as it *could* have been, it’s still a big step for any of these teams to do something like this, let alone all of them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 11/10/2018 at 9:42 AM, mmajeski06 said:

Would love to see that Rangers one used in a Stadium Series game. Blackhawks might HAVE to do something like this soon, have to be running out of old uniforms to resurrect for an outdoor game. 

I wouldn’t worry about seeing the Hawks in an outdoor game after this season...

29 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

There was plenty of off-the-wall, but the teams still had to be comfortable enough to approve them. Most of the teams erred toward the most classic or conservative option they were shown (one of them was even designed by the team because they weren’t into the options we showed them). While it’s not as off-the-wall as it *could* have been, it’s still a big step for any of these teams to do something like this, let alone all of them.

Thanks andrew...

We, the great unwashed, aren't aware of the roadblocks thrown up "behind the scenes"...we just see the final results...

(And the article did make it sound like you guys had more of a free rein).

It's always good to hear a little more about the process, and I for one would love to see some of the stuff left on the cutting room floor.

Archived