College football postseason 2018: The Other Divisions

4_tattoos

The lower division of college football are wrapping up there regular seasons, and preparing for postseason play. This thread is where you can keep up with the FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, Club level and JUCO championships.

• NCAA Divisions 2 and 3 will have their tournament selection tomorrow.
  • Division 1 FCS still has one more week in the regular season.
  • JUCO football has bowl games, not sure when those teams are selected.
  • NAIA has a playoff tournament, though I don't really follow that level.
  • IIRC club football also has a tournament, but just like JUCO and NAIA I don't know when selection for that levels post season is.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have the first two parts right.

NAIA plays it's final regular season weekend this week. Tomorrow evening they select the 16 teams to compete in the tournament. Automatic berths are only given to conference champions IF they're ranked in the Top 20 of the final poll. At-Large bids are then determined from there.

The JUCO level is changing things up this season with 8 bowl games (One of them, the Graphic Edge Bowl in Cedar Falls, Iowa being a double header) and the National Championship game being a separate game from the bowl games. This game will be played on November 29th in Pittsburg, Kansas with the game being televised on CBS Sports Network.

Sprint Football has it's title game today and it's Army vs. Navy for the championship.

Club football has it's playoffs set. In the first round it's...

-Sacred Heart vs. Johnson and Wales (RI)

-Robert Morris (IL) vs. Oakland (MI)

-Ohio State vs. The Apprentice School

-Middle Georgia State vs. Fort Lauderdale

The semis are next weekend and the championship is on December 1st in West Liberty, West Virginia.

Two questions

1. What's sprint football? I've never heard of that.
  2. Has anybody ever done a basketball equivalent to this thread? Do the lower division tournaments get mentioned at all in the annual march madness threads?

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Two questions

2. Has anybody ever done a basketball equivalent to this thread? Do the lower division tournaments get mentioned at all in the annual march madness threads?

1- Search for "Sprint Football" and you'll get your answer.

2-No member has started a thread for lower division hoops because nobody here cares.

4 hours ago, Wings said:

Another lower division California football program bites the dust as Division II Humboldt State played it's final game yesterday after 91 years. 

Yeah. That sucks.

Well the Division 2 bracket has been announced.

Super Region 1

• #1 Notre Dame College (Ohio) - BYE
  • #4 Kutztown vs #5 Hillsdale
  • #2 LIU Post vs #7 Slippery Rock
  • #3 West Chester vs #6 New Haven

Super Region 2

• #1 Valdosta State - BYE
  • #4 Bowie State vs #5 West Alabama
  • #2 West Georgia vs #7 Wingate
  • #3 Lenoir-Rhyne vs #6 Florida Tech

Super Region 3

• #1 Ouachita Baptist - BYE
  • #4 Indianapolis vs #4 Fort Hays State
  • #2 Ferris State vs #7 Harding
  • #3 Grand Valley State vs #6 Northwest Missouri State

Super Region 4

• #1 Minnesota State-Mankato - BYE
  • #4 Colorado Mines vs #5 Colorado State Pueblo
  • #2 Tarleton State vs #7 Azusa Pacific
  • #3 Minnesota-Duluth vs Texas A&M Commerce

Division III is also set. Here's the first round...

Bracket 1

Hardin-Simmons at Mary-Hardin Baylor

Maryville (TN) at Berry (GA)

Martin Luther at St. John's (MN)

Claremont-Mudd-Scripps at Whitworth

Bracket 2

Denison at Mt. Union

Washington and Jefferson at Centre

Randolph-Macon at John Carroll

Muhlenburg at Delaware Valley

Bracket 3

Framingham State at SUNY Brockport

Husson at RPI

Western New England at Frostburg State

MIT at John Hopkins

Bracket 4

Eureka at Wisconsin-Whitewater

St. Norbert at Trine

Hanover at North Central (IL)

Wartburg at Bethel (MN)

NAIA is also set for it's first round of play. Here's those games...

Rocky Mountain (MT) [Frontier Champion) at Morningside (IA) [GPAC Champion]

St. Xavier (IL) [MSFA Midwest Champion] at Marian (IN) [MSFA Mideast Champion]

Baker (KS) [HAAC South Champion] at Bethel (TN) [MSC Bluegrass Champion]

Concordia (MI) [At-Large] at Reinhardt (GA) [MSC Appalachian Champion]

Dickinson State (ND) [North Star Champion] at Northwestern (IA) [At-Large]

Langston (OK) [Sooner Champion] at Kansas Wesleyan [KCAC Champion]

Cumberlands (KY) [At-Large] at Benedictine (KS) [HAAC North Champion]

Grand View (IA) [At-Large] at St. Francis (IL) [At-Large]

(Remember the rule about the champions needing to be in the Top 20 to get an automatic bid? That came into play as Southeastern, the MSC Sun Division champs, were one spot away from getting an auto bid)

Well I'm gonna be a homer and ride with the Maryland schools in the Division 2 and 3 playoffs (Bowie State, Frostburg State and John Hopkins). In the NAIA tournament I think I'm going to ride with Langston.

I’m pulling for Bowie St for D-II (did the chains for their CIAA championship game this weekend) and Mount Union for D-III. This is a strange year in our city in that for the first time in 20+ years, the Stagg Bowl will be somewhere else. I’ve witnessed most of Mt. Union’s championship wins in person, and they were one of the first college football teams I remember seeing play in person. They became my favorite team as a child, and I have continued to feel that way after meeting several of their fans and coaches over the past few years with the opportunity to work the Stagg Bowl the last 5 or so years. 

Warhawks, mighty Warhawks, we're proud to bear that name...so take the ball again and go Whitewater, win this game!

Aside from UWW being back in the playoffs, I think I'll keep an eye on that Brain Bowl between Hopkins and MIT.  I think I'll hop on the Mankato bandwagon in D2 because one of my old teammates played there in the early 2000s.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The participants for a few Division 2 Bowl Games have been announced

Mineral Water Bowl

• Minnesota State-Moorhead vs. Missouri S&T

Heart of Texas Bowl

• Central Oklahoma vs. Angelo State

Live United Bowl

• Missouri Western vs. Southern Arkansas (rumored to be)

Corsicana Bowl

• Emporia State vs. Arkansas-Monticello

The JUCO level has it's title game set as it will be #1 East Mississippi (11-0) and #2 Garden City (Kansas) (10-0). These two teams will meet in Pittsburg, Kansas on November 29th.

The other bowl games at the JUCO level are now set as well... And here they are:

Saturday, December 1st

-C.H.A.M.P.S Heart of Texas Bowl: Pima (AZ) vs. Kilgore (TX)

-El Toro Bowl: Lackawanna (NY) vs. Arizona Western

-Valley of the Sun Bowl: Blinn (TX) at Scottsdale

Sunday, December 2nd

-Graphic Edge Bowl (Undercard): Monroe (NY) vs. Iowa Central

-Mississippi Bowl: Eastern Arizona vs. Jones (MS)

-Midwest Classic Bowl: Butler (KS) vs. NE Oklahoma A&M

-Graphic Edge Bowl (Main Event): Snow (UT) vs. Iowa Western

On 11/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Two questions

Sprint football has requirements basef on the weight of the players. It's usually played at preparatory schools like West Point Prep and the military academies and Ivy League schools play it as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

In Division II...

-Super Region 1 went crazy as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds all fell. This leaves Notre Dame (Ohio) as the highest seed left as they host Hillsdale next weekend while New Haven takes on Slippery Rock.

-Super Region 2 did have one big upset as Northwest Missouri State went to Grand Valley State and took down the Lakers. They'll take another trip to Michigan next week as they'll face Ferris State. The other region semifinal sees Indianapolis take on Ouachita Baptist.

-In Super Region 3, Tarleton State laid out Azusa Pacific 58-0. They'll face the defending national champion TAMU-Commerce as they won over Minnesota-Duluth. In the other semifinal, Colorado State-Pueblo (winners over conference rival Colorado Mines) takes on Minnesota State-Mankato.

-In Super Region 4, Wingate provided the biggest upset here as they took down West Georgia. Next up for them is a trip Lenoir-Rhyne. In the other semifinal, it's Bowie State at Valdosta State

Meanwhile, in Division III... only three road teams won as Randolph-Macon, St. Norbert and Muhlenberg did the honors. Outside of them, it was mostly chalk (BTW, St. John's treated poor, poor Martin Luther dirty in a 84-6 devastation)

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

In Division II...

-Super Region 1 went crazy as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds all fell. This leaves Notre Dame (Ohio) as the highest seed left as they host Hillsdale next weekend while New Haven takes on Slippery Rock.

-In Super Region 2, Wingate provided the biggest upset here as they took down West Georgia. Next up for them is a trip Lenoir-Rhyne. In the other semifinal, it's Bowie State at Valdosta State

-Super Region 3 did have one big upset as Northwest Missouri State went to Grand Valley State and took down the Lakers. They'll take another trip to Michigan next week as they'll face Ferris State. The other region semifinal sees Indianapolis take on Ouachita Baptist.

-In Super Region 4, Tarleton State laid out Azusa Pacific 58-0. They'll face the defending national champion TAMU-Commerce as they won over Minnesota-Duluth. In the other semifinal, Colorado State-Pueblo (winners over conference rival Colorado Mines) takes on Minnesota State-Mankato.

You got your D2 Super Regions mixed up. Fixed for ya!

Archived