FC Cincinnati

bartodell

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy smokes this is not the reaction I expected. This confirms a few of the nitpicks I had on the leak — kinda fat, don’t understand the darker outline, the FC looks out of place and awkward. But on the whole it’s distinctive, not derivative, and clearly communicates itself and its team. I think this is instantly a top 5 crest in the league. 

And weirdly the notched C typeface looks much better wordmark only than it does in the crest. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, xbhaskarx said:

Hmmm....

crown.png

kutsesg.png

Womp, womp. When your illustration is this crisp and this rigid, you absolutely *must* nail the details. It’s such a shame because the beer hall style and vibe of the branding, type, and illustration have real promise, but the clunky executional oversights take it down when it’s this simple. Letting the spike in the C return to parallel when the wordmark runs up? Kinda puzzling.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

16 minutes ago, GFB said:

The idea is good and fine but the execution is horrific.

I think you could make the argument that this is the worst MLS logo since 1996. 

I would seriously love to hear anyone try to make that argument.  Especially in a world where these were a thing. 

1560.gif1553.gif3lh97ghuc6hueh0db3gl.gifbl74ky7m7fy27oxap4qkffgdt.gif

Now, you could say it’s the worst MLS logo of the last ten or fifteen years, but that’s actually pretty high praise, since MLS has consistently had the best new logos across the board in all of American pro sports during that time.  

6 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Womp, womp. When your illustration is this crisp and this rigid, you absolutely *must* nail the details. It’s such a shame because I love the style and vibe of the branding. Would feel right at home in a München beer hall.

Sucks because those are such easy details to see and fix before it goes out. Here’s to hoping a clean vector file is out there somewhere and got sent to the right people. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

27 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would seriously love to hear anyone try to make that argument.  Especially in a world where these were a thing. 

1560.gif1553.gif

Ever notice that the ball in these two logos looks to be the exact same, just horizontally flipped?

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

1560.gif1553.gif3lh97ghuc6hueh0db3gl.gifbl74ky7m7fy27oxap4qkffgdt.gif

Now, you could say it’s the worst MLS logo of the last ten or fifteen years, but that’s actually pretty high praise, since MLS has consistently had the best new logos across the board in all of American pro sports during that time.  

It is meant as high praise in regards to the MLS as a whole. The league has such a high track record in terms of solid design that when a logo falls short of the standard, it's noticeable.  For example, say what you will about the Austin FC logo, but the execution of the logo was not what was being called into question, but rather the concept itself. That's a trademark of well-done design, even if you ultimately question the direction they chose to go. To further this line of thought, this FCC logo is not all that offensive as a whole, it just makes some bizarre design decisions that do not help it (skewing the type upwards, limiting the size of the lion icon, choosing a bizarre typeface, etc...) 

As for the argument that this is the worst new logo since '96... my argument would be that while the direction is solid (winged lion w/ crown and a sword), the execution is so amateur that it's actually a detriment to the direction.  There have been plenty of logos since '96 that I'm personally not too crazy about (Orlando City, Montreal, and Vancouver for example), but at least they are professionally rendered, so it's difficult for me to put them below this FCC offering. And while you do provide good examples of missteps along the way, my rebuttal would be that the MetroStars and Wizards crests were simply continuations or reworkings from the '96 brands so they shouldn't count; the Earthquakes crest, while it looks very dated today, was illustrated very well for the time period. The RBNY one is tough with the lifeless corporate sponsorship driving the direction, but I don't find the RBNY crest to be bad because of how the crest is designed... and that might be the only positive thing I'll say about the RBNY brand.  

Ultimately. it's not an argument that I'm ready to believe or adhere to at the moment, but my initial reaction to everything that isn't the illustration of the winged lion (which is somewhere around "fine") has turned me off to this crest, which is a new sensation for me.

Cincy's logo s'okay to me. Welcome aboard. Have a feeling the navy blue everybody keeps ragging about will just be a color in the logo, and not a uniform color. Kinda like how the Steelers logo features red, blue and gray while their uniforms don't feature those three colors anywhere. Relax ?

SN: I actually like all of the Red Bull sports logos. To be fair though, I really like the Red Bull drink logo *shrug*

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, schlim said:

Ever notice that the ball in these two logos looks to be the exact same, just horizontally flipped?

MLS_assets_99.rar

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

This is so obviously the worst MLS logo of all time:

TampaBayMutiny.png

And I also like the NYRB logo. Sue me.

The bat creature thing will forever be baffling. But I have a nostalgic soft spot for that typeface. The go-to look for people who don’t understand what digital even means for 25 years now. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived