Section30

Old Beaver Logo Update

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! So I currently attend Bemidji State University in Bemidji Minnesota, and I work for the athletic media department. A few days ago I stumbled on an old logo that the school apparently used in the 80s and early 90s. I thought it would be cool to see what it would look like updated so I gave it a shot! Please let me know what you guys think and if there's any advise you have, thanks!

 

Here is the original logo for reference

 

mtv8PkL.jpg

 

And here is my updated version, I did 3 color variations, black and white like in the original, green and white which are the school colors, and a mix of black green and white because we oftern use black as well as green and white. Let me know what you think!

 

elv5ccH.pnguFmx8BI.pngamMGAeS.png

 

CC is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent job on the beaver! The line weight is perfect.

I'm gonna be super-nit-picky here. The only advantage of the old one is that the Beev has a little more determined, forward-looking look in its eyes.

I wonder if you can match that a little more by tweaking the placement of the pupils.

Again...being super critical, because you've done a great job on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Excellent job on the beaver! The line weight is perfect.

I'm gonna be super-nit-picky here. The only advantage of the old one is that the Beev has a little more determined, forward-looking look in its eyes.

I wonder if you can match that a little more by tweaking the placement of the pupils.

Again...being super critical, because you've done a great job on this.

 

I agree, the "not-looking-directly-at-you eyes" do give off more of a heroic vibe... I might even try exaggerating how "up-and-away" they're looking to cash in on the awesome campy-ness of a muscular college beaver... a super well done design!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Clusterduckdesigns said:

I really like it, youve managed to keep the retro essence of the logo whilst modernising it and making it look clean

 

14 hours ago, 1991 said:

Agreed, love the updated retro look!

 

Thank you for the kind words!

 

5 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Excellent job on the beaver! The line weight is perfect.

I'm gonna be super-nit-picky here. The only advantage of the old one is that the Beev has a little more determined, forward-looking look in its eyes.

I wonder if you can match that a little more by tweaking the placement of the pupils.

Again...being super critical, because you've done a great job on this.

 

5 hours ago, C-Squared said:

 

I agree, the "not-looking-directly-at-you eyes" do give off more of a heroic vibe... I might even try exaggerating how "up-and-away" they're looking to cash in on the awesome campy-ness of a muscular college beaver... a super well done design!!

 

Thank you for the compliments, it means a lot coming from you guys, below I have updated Bucky's eyes and I think it looks better, let me know what you think. I also got rid of the white line at the bottom of the sweater since it kinda cut off the legs IMO, I think it looks better now that the black legs and the bottom of the sweater just meet.

 

TLTPCED.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!...He appears more onward-looking... determined. The removal of the white line is an improvement.

Nicely done, Section30...👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a few of these over the years and that starting image is ripe for updating, but I can't shake the feeling that this update is missing something. It feels a bit stiff or flat. Did you draw it out or just digitally trace it from the image? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

I've done a few of these over the years and that starting image is ripe for updating, but I can't shake the feeling that this update is missing something. It feels a bit stiff or flat. Did you draw it out or just digitally trace it from the image? 

 

I did it all digitally, I also think it's missing something but I'm not sure what or how I would do something without over complicating things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Section30 said:

 

I did it all digitally, I also think it's missing something but I'm not sure what or how I would do something without over complicating things

Try tracing it with pencil and paper and drawing in your changes. I've always had better luck starting analog then going digital. Not saying it is the only way, but it's another way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

You work for the athletic department, you say? Submit it to your AD. It's a tremendous improvement over what your school currently uses.

 

I currently work for athletic media, so I make some graphics for social media and stuff like that. I was originally just going to show my boss and see what he thinks would be the best use for it, but I think the AD would be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think you've done a very good job here, just need to clean up some things. heres a rough sketch of what i'd do. basically, just show a little more of the back foot and work on that tail highlight

 

6towRHo.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think you've done a very good job here, just need to clean up some things. heres a rough sketch of what i'd do. basically, just show a little more of the back foot and work on that tail highlight

 

6towRHo.png

 

Agree with you it needs more of a back foot. Beavers don’t hop (I don’t think?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple updates, one is the same as the last one but with updated feet (no more pointy toes) and there is now a back foot. The second one uses the tail pattern from @BrandMooreArt I personally prefer the original tail pattern, but I thought I'd post both and see what you guys think!

 

inT1EgT.pngeF5QAPo.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, I like the original logo better. The addition of the back foot makes the legs look crossed and make the beaver look like he's going to fall over himself. As far as the tail pattern, could go either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:31 PM, Section30 said:

Here are a couple updates, one is the same as the last one but with updated feet (no more pointy toes) and there is now a back foot. The second one uses the tail pattern from @BrandMooreArt I personally prefer the original tail pattern, but I thought I'd post both and see what you guys think!

 

inT1EgT.pngeF5QAPo.png

 

 

I prefer your tail pattern, but what if you curved the lines a bit. I think that's what bothering me is how straight the lines are. Great job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, I'm bringing this thread back because I was unhappy with how it looked when I last left it. I decided to give the legs a complete redo, they are now more based off of the original image and less "claw" like. I also adjusted the tail pattern, giving it some curves rather than being straight lines. Let me know what you guys think, CC is appreciated!

 

EmqoOJc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The feet still don’t reflect those of a beaver, which are more webbed.  Granted a beaver would never be standing up like that or wearing a sweater either, so it’s your prerogative to make the feet as accurate or inaccurate as you want 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Section30 said:

Hello everyone, I'm bringing this thread back because I was unhappy with how it looked when I last left it. I decided to give the legs a complete redo, they are now more based off of the original image and less "claw" like. I also adjusted the tail pattern, giving it some curves rather than being straight lines. Let me know what you guys think, CC is appreciated!

 

EmqoOJc.png

You’re really headed in the right direction. The tail pattern is great. The feet are tough.  I’d say the overall perspective is improved by having the back foot show. Where you are now is pretty good.  The feet are unobtrusive enough that they aren’t overpowering or distracting.  All the focus is on the face, tail, and sweater (as it should be).

 

If there is still something that is bugging you, you could always go the sneakers route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now